It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Post Natural ways of dealing with a lot of period pain

Hello.
I took a pregnancy test yesterday which came back with a faint positive line. I was in no way expecting it as I take my pills perfectly as possible and also use condoms EVERY time.
I went to the ER and got another test taken which was negative. The doctor said there is practically no chance of being pregnant and to not worry at all. I can't do that.
I am on the pill continuously for endometriosis. I haven't had a period for months. I usually try and schedule it during the holidays so I don't get behind with my studies.
I want to stop the pills for 7 days and HOPEFULLY get my period.
I didn't take my pill today so I expect a period on Friday. I really want my period but I hate the pain that comes with it. I am rather stressed and quite busy with university at the moment so it is not the ideal time to have a period, but I want to because i am so worried about this positive HPT result.

Can anyone give me advice on how to have a relatively pain-free period. I know all of the techniques such as using heat pads, etc, but I am more interested in herbal or natural remedies, etc. I haven't got any experience with this but i am interested... not just for this period either. I HATE having to take the pill this way. I love the reassurance of a period each month. Or do these other ways of delaing with pain take more than just a few days to start working?

Sorry for the long post. Most of it might be irrelevent. Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
I found a post from Sarah68 that mentioned something called Mag Phos.
Is this magnesium and phosphate?
Does it work for everyone?
Would I need to take it for a few weeks/months before there was enough in my body to work?
I guess I can ask at a health food store tomorrow morning. Thanks for any help anyway.

[This message has been edited by Greenoctopus18 (edited 10-07-2003).]

Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Yes, you are right, I did mention MAG PHOS and this is a HOMEOPATHIC remedy rather than a herbal remedy and you can get it from a healthfood store.

There are several homeopathic remedies that can help period pain, but you just have to take the one that best matches your symptoms.

MAG PHOS is a good remedy if you have quite severe cramping pains and can be good for cramps anywhere in your body as well as your belly. The pain is normally better for heat, pressure and rubbing.

The other remedy is COLOCYNTHIS and this is bitter cucumber. It is a good colic remedy and basically the pain is better for heat and pressure, bending double and lying on your belly.

These are the two best remedies for period pain and if one does not seem to work then try the other one. You can get these remedies from a healthfood store and I would take about three doses at 15 minute intervals and you will then get some sort of idea if the remedy is going to work. If not, then stop one remedy and try the other one.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Old 10-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. Thanks!
I will get to a healthfood store and have them both ready.
So they are just for cramping pain... they won't help with ovarian pain, etc?
Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

They should also work for ovarian pain too, as although the remedies are for cramping and colic type pain, they are also for period pains, which covers ovarian pain too.

Good luck

Old 10-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Does anyone know if the herb crampbark works very well?

Old 10-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. Thanks again.
I got the Mag Phos yesterday and so far it hasn't been a lot of help.
I couldn't remember the name of the other and the lady wasn't sure what I meant by just bitter cucumber as that was all I could remember. However she was interested to know what I meant so I will go there straight after this with the name.

With the Mag Phos. The label says for acute pain to dissove one under the tongue every 30 minutes until the pain subsides. I do this but after about 20 minutes the pain is back. Hopefully the other will work.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

The name of the other remedy is COLOCYNTHIS which is bitter cucumber.

Also, for cases of severe pain, you need to take the remedy more frequently than every 30 minutes. When you have acute pain such as this, you need to let one tablet dissolve and then take another one about 10 minutes later. In acute cases, your body will use up the remedy faster, so the repetition needs to be more. If you take the Mag Phos and find that it works after one dose, then take another dose after 10 minutes. Wait another 15 minutes and then take another one. If it is still working then, then repeat another dose at 20 to 30 minute intervals. However, if this remedy does not seem to be working, then I would suggest that you try the Colocynthis instead and see if this has a better effect.

If the pain is more like colicy type pain that is better for rubbing your belly and putting a heat pad on your belly and bending forwards, then this is more likely to work for you.

Good luck

Closed Thread