It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #1

Cara898989 HB User
Unhappy I am almost 14 and havn't started my period yet

My name is Cara, I turn 14 this august and I havn't started my period yet. I eat ALOT however I way a lot less than most of my friends. I weigh like 97 pounds and I am the only one of my group of friends that hasn't started my period yet. I'm upset. I want to know if I can still have sex even though I havn;t started yet,not that I would have sex. But a few of my friends are wondering if it's possible. I would never have sex unless I was married, or atleast sure the man was worth it. and I want to kno if I shoudl be worried that I havn't started yet. please help!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cara898989 (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
You need to relax some girls start later than others. You can talk to yoru mom and ask her when she started getting hers. That should give you an idea of when you might start getting yours.
Some girls dont start until they are 15,16,and 17...it varies.
As for sex of course it is possible to have sex. Your period has nothing to do with your ability to have sex. Though your period not starting doesnt mean you cant get pregnant. You can still get pregnant without having started your periods yet. Strange as it sounds it is possible. So if you do become sexually active make sure you use protection.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM   #3

Cara898989 HB User
Red face

I had no clue u could have sex. All my friends were telling me it wasn't possible. I have however no intention of starting a sexual relationship with a guy at the age of 14 that would be skanky. lol. Thank you, I did ask my mom she started earlier then me, that is y I am a little worried. My best friend is younger, and she started the beginning of this year. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.
Cara

Old 08-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
You should have ntohign to worry about. You're still young enough to not get it yet.
Many factors come into play when it comes to the time when you're period starts.
Some girls get it very early, some get it late (as in around the age of 16 or 18).
I'd say odds are you'll get it soon if you're mom received hers before the age of 14.

Don't worry about it! You'll be fine. If you were older, you might have reason to worry.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I agree with the other posters. There is no set age to start your period. I remember a girl at school starting hers at 11 but i didn't start mine till i was nearly 15. Then when i did get them it was during my school summer holidays and i remember my mother giving me this pad to use which felt like a nappy and it didn't even stick to my underwear and i thought "great, is this how it's going to be forever!!!!" Mind you, that was 21 years ago and thankfully sanitary products are much more advanced and practical these days.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #6

Cara898989 HB User
I still can't believe u can get pregnant b4 u start. I'd like a little more feedback on that. I've been told by a million people that u couldn't even have sex. Well thank you everyone

Cara

Old 08-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Simply put you wont have a clue if you ovulated before you started or not. There are girls who have gotten pregnant and had kids before they ever had a period.
You see you can ovulate without having periods also so you could already be ovulating and not know it. Even most adult women have no clue when they ovulate. So if you are already ovulating and you have sex you can get pregnant without starting your periods.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-05-2003, 09:09 PM   #8
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Hello,

As it turns out, a friend (even a few more) of mine was experiencing a similar issue with her period. She too was a thin person, and her doctor had concluded that she didn't have enough body fat to support menstruation. She didn't begin to menstruate until she was well into her 15th year. I'm pretty sure that a woman must have at least a 17 percent body fat level to support menstruation.

There is no need to worry yourself ill about this situation. It is very common for athletes to lose their periods during sporting seasons because they have burned away some of their already low body fat levels; I personally have experienced that a few times.

No need to begin gorging insanely to plumpen yourself up if you discover that this is the cause. I recommend consulting a doctor and recieving directions from her or him.

Below is a link giving a brief expanation as to what may be happening with you. I hope that my post and this link may be helpful to you.
[url="http://www.cyh.com/cyh/kids/detail.html?l1=8&topic_id=1475#CAN"]http://www.cyh.com/cyh/kids/detail.html?l1=8&topic_id=1475#CAN[/url]

This next link is another on body fat in women.
[url="http://www.inq7.net/lif/2002/apr/09/lif_6-1.htm"]http://www.inq7.net/lif/2002/apr/09/lif_6-1.htm[/url]

Take care,

Maria

Old 08-06-2003, 04:09 AM   #9

deliciousmess HB User
Welll I agree with the last post - if you don't have enough body fat then your body can't support menstruation, but since you say you eat a lot that's prolly not the problem. I mean you could have some medical problem where your body doesn't retain enough fat, but that would prolly have given you other problems by now as well.

I didn't get my period till I was fourteen, and I remember feeling really left out coz both my mum and older sister got theirs at eleven. When I got my first period I was really excited and I was like 'finally!', but lol after another period I was like 'why on earth did I want these?!'. Getting your period is exciting the first time, but since you can't hurry it up, you can take the chance to enjoy NOT having it.

Oh yes and you can have sex before your first period - periods have nothing to do with the ability to have sex, they just relate to your ability to get pregnant.

And yes, if you haven't had your first period when you have sex for the first time, you CAN get pregnant. See, a woman is most likely to get pregnant a couple of weeks before each period, because that's when the egg is sitting around waiting to get fertilised. So if, by coincidence, you had sex at this time before your FIRST period, you could get pregnant!

Good luck with the periodness

Old 08-06-2003, 07:04 AM   #10

Cara898989 HB User
Thanks you guys. Switch96, I forgot to mention I AM very active in sports, I play almost anything you can think of...over the past few days I think I am starting to gain weight..lol. But who knows, maybe my scale is off. I have a REALLY fast matabolism, probebly bcuz I am so active. So I guess you guys are right I prolly shoudln't start worrying until I am well into my 15th year, or possibly later. To those of you who think I was thinking baout having sex at this age, take comfort in knowing that I would never do that. And I appreciate all your help.

Cara

Old 08-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #11

rubydolphin79 HB User
Cara,
I would not worry about getting your period at the age of 14. I was around 11 or 12 when I got mine, but my friend did not get hers until she was 17! That is your senior year in high school! Plus you are very active, so this takes into account as well. Don't worry, you will get it soon enough, and as soon as you get it, you'll wish you never had! LOL! Sometimes it can be a real pain! Good Luck...and have fun!

Old 08-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #12

22ad22 HB User
I didn't get mine until I was 14, which was the same age that my mom got hers. So maybe ask your mom when she got hers. Some girls take after their mothers, I know I do. I was very thin too so maybe that had something to do with it, I was probably only 90lbs back then.
I felt like I was the only one left that didn't get it yet. My best friend had hers since 11 (there is a lot of variation). I wouldn't worry about it too much, you still have time.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

EddieDean HB User
Another perspective....

I would definitely see a doctor if you still haven't had your period by age 15. I NEVER started having periods on my own because I don't ovulate properly. It's a condition that effects a large number of women, and can be anything from Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome to a hormone imbalance. A doctor is the only one that can diagnose your specific situation. Give yourself another year or so and then ask your mom if you can see a doctor. There are things they can do to induce a period and get your body going!

Old 08-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
I got mine when I was 15.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #15

BeachBella289 HB User
i too am 14, and i got mine at the beginning of 8th grade (now going into 9th), but my sister didnt start hers until last month, and she is 16, it just depends on the person, i am very small like you (100 lbs), and she weighed more than me, but started later it all depends on the person. To be honest you should be GLAD you dont have it, i remember how badly i wanted it because i thoguht it would make me more womanly or w/e...haha no!! it's such a pain, some people get cramps (i dont luckily), some people get bloated (i do unfortunatley), you get irritable, trust me, as long as you dont have it, be happy!!! i cried when i got mine i didnt know what to think, it was just gross. AS for sex, yes you can, and whoever told you that you couldnt was lying, having your period has nothing to do with that, but i still would reccomend not having sex (i havent...and wont until i know i am ready), but even if you decide to have sex...use protection period or not, because you could have ovulated and not know it, and theres also the risk of sexually transmitted dieseases.

Closed Thread