It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
(female)

drumstix21 HB User
Question Can a yeast infection go away by having your period?

Okay, well for about a month I had itching, smelling discharge, some burning and I thought it was a yeast infection and I tried telling my mom but I couldnt so I didnt then my period came and ever since I havent had any itching or burning, I still have discharge and odor but I heard that its normal throughout the month, so can a yeast infection go away from having your period or what?

Old 10-18-2003, 09:51 PM   #2

kanny18 HB User
Hi drumstix21,

I haven't heard about a yeast infection going away after having your period. Are you sure what you had/have is a yeast infection?

The key symptoms of one are: A thick white, chunky discharge (similiar to cottage cheese), itching, and redness/inflammation of the skin there. The discharge shouldn't have much of an odor at all. Is the odor strong? Is this what your discharge is like? You need to make sure what you have is indeed a yeast infection. Are you sexually active? Also, you should try and tell your mom again. When you get your first yeast infection, it's a good idea to see the doc so they can tell for sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2003, 09:53 PM   #3

kanny18 HB User
oohh, one more thing. I have heard of yeast infections going away after time. Maybe this is what happened..hmmm. Still see a doctor if you have a discharge with odor. Good luck and hope everything gets better for you!

Old 10-18-2003, 10:45 PM   #4

VeganLady HB User
I use to get yeast infections (and they were indeed yeast infections) that would 'go away' when I got my period. But, they always came back soon after. From what I hear, this is pretty common. It's normal for discharge to increase before your preiod, but itching isn't. I say you should go to the doctor and get some Diflucan or at least some OTC cream. Clotrimazole always worked well for me.

I found that not using tampons and drinking lots of water helped decrease my infections.

Good luck to you, and don't be afraid to tell you Mom. She can probably help you as most women do get them.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

drumstix21 HB User
Thumbs down

Well its kind of strange because if I wear shorts that are kinda tight, the discharge seems to be heavier and most the time goes through underwear and my shorts (eww!) and if I wear loose clothing it doesnt really bother me its just the fact that it smells so bad, is there anyway to get rid of the odor? I dont really want to see a doctor is the only thing

Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
When I got my first yeast infection, I cried because I felt so dirty, but I told my older sister and she assured me that most women get them at some point or another. I know going to the doctor about things like this is extremely uncomfortable and is just about the last thing you want to do. I have a woman doctor so that makes me feel better because I know she knows what I'm feeling. Also, once you go and find out for sure and know what to do to treat it, you will feel so relieved in more ways than one. Also, when I told my sister and then my mom, I was embarrassed, but I felt better after hearing what they had to say about it. Its like taking nasty cough syrup, you just pinch your nose and swallow as quickly as possible. It sucks, but you are relieved its over with and know you are going to feel better soon. So, my advice is to tell your mom or make an appointment on your own and find out for sure what it is and get it treated. One thing you could do is buy over-the-counter yeast medication that has the cream for the outside and see if it helps at all. Also, you could try douching with warm water. But you should go to the dr. anyway.

A woman is susceptible (sp?) to yeast infection when she wears tight clothing where her vagina can't "breathe". Its better to wear loose(er) clothing with breathable fabric. That could have something to do with your sitch about the discharge. Good luck and I hope you are able to tell you're mom and go to the doctor.

Closed Thread