It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 08:35 AM   #1

weldgal HB User
Question itchy, dry,chapped breasts

i was wondering if anyone else has this problem. first let me start off by saying that, i've had a mammogram every year since i've been 39,and i'm 45 now,never any problems,except this. every month about a week or so before my period, my breasts not always both,sometimes one or the other, gets really sore and dry and itchy around the nipple area. sometimes it will actually crack and bleed a tiny little bit.then i get a yellowish whatever,(like a healing scab)form on the tip and my bra sticks to it.(ouch)it's a bit irritating to say the least. then it just goes away after my period starts until next month. any suggestions?

Old 10-15-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Buy some udder balm or bag balm at your local pharmacy area and use this. It will prevent this from happening if you use it right about the time you normally have the breast problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 AM   #3

cass999 HB User
i second the bag balm. works for everything!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #4

TrueGem HB User
Red face

WeldGal,

I just recently read an article about a woman with your symptoms who discovered something I had never heard of before ... Paget's Disease. It's a very rare form of BREAST CANCER with symptoms VERY similar to what you have described. Here is her article: (I KNOW IT'S LONG, BUT IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE)

PAGET'S DISEASE:
Symptoms
1. Usually only one nipple is affected at a time.
2. Persistent itching, redness, oozing, and crusting of your nipple (My nipple had a crust around the outer edge)
3. A sore on your nipple that will not heal (Mine was on the areola with a white/thick area in the center)

This is a rare form of breast cancer found on the outside of the breast on the nipple and areola. It appears as a rash which later becomes a lesion with a crusty outer edge. I would never have suspected it to be breast cancer but it was. My nipple never seemed any different to me but the rash bothered me so I went to the doctor for that. Sometimes it itched and it was sore, but other than that it didn't bother me. It was just ugly and a nuisance and could not be cleared up with all the creams prescribed by my doctor and dermatologist. They seemed a little concerned but never warned me it could be breast cancer. Now I suspect there are not many women out there who know a lesion or rash on the nipple or areola can be breast cancer. Mine started out as a single red pimple on the areola. One of the biggest problems with Paget's Disease of the nipple is that the symptoms appear to be harmless. It is frequently thought to be a skin inflammation or infection leading to unfortunate delays in detection and care.

In Nov. 2000, a rare kind of breast cancer was found. The sister of my friend developed a rash on her breast, similar to that of young mothers who are nursing. Because her mammogram HAD BEEN CLEAR, the doctor treated her with antibiotics for infections. After 2 rounds of treatment it continued to get worse, so the doctor sent her for another mammogram and this time there was a mass. A biopsy found a fast-growing malignancy. Chemo was started ... then a mastectomy ... then radiation. After about 9 months of this she was given a clean bill of health. Then it returned to her liver. She lost her battle 5 months later. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bigcry.gif

------------------
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif *~TrueGem~* http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

[This message has been edited by TrueGem (edited 10-29-2003).]

Last edited by TrueGem; 11-11-2003 at 07:17 AM.

Closed Thread