It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #1

joelsgirl HB User
Unhappy abnormal pap test very scared

I had a pap in July and had no clue that it was abnormal.I am only 19 yrs. I knew that I was infected with Clamidia I got treated for that and when I went to get the shot at a new location the Nurse told me that my last pap was abnormal. I am frieghten to death cause I had a cousin that lost her uterus do to cancer in the uterus which she was only 18. I had an other pap to see if it is still abnormal. What cause an abnormal pap? Also I am very scared to tell my mother. I dont know what to do or think. What does abnormal actually mean?

Old 01-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Hi joelsgirl and welcome! First of all...relax. There are all kinds of reasons to get an abnormal pap result. Sometimes it's an indication of something serious, but often it is not. It's definitely something you want to follow though, meaning keep your pap appts. I had three abnormal pap tests in my life and the nurses acted as if it was routine. Turns out it was nothing and the following paps all came back normal.

If your second test shows abnormal, discuss it with your doctor. Ask him exactly what that means. But for now, try not and get yourself too worked up over it. I know it scared the hell out of me when I got my first abnormal test. Your mind starts thinking all kinds of things.

In fact, I suggest that you call your doctor's nurse today, just to ease your mind, and ask what are some of the reasons that a pap can show abnormal. Express your concerns. I'm pretty sure what they will tell you. Maybe it will help relieve the anxiety. Hope this helps! ....franjo
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Tethered cord release-2003
Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 03:21 AM   #3
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I don't know how your clamydia diagnosis is going to affect the value of your abnormal pap smear -- in other words, I don't know just how much of an impact that STD will have on the lab result's potential for being marred.

From what I know, a great deal will depend on how long you had it before it was detected and treated, and to be sure you keep your folow ups. Making sure your sex partner has been treated as well is important.

As for abnormal pap smears in general, I've never had an STD, so "in general," I've had 2 abnormals, one a few years ago and the first one about 20 years ago. So far everything has been fine.

It is probably more common than you think to have an abnormal pap -- many women get them. Many times, it's a lab foul up or just a funky culture. A lot of things can affect the smear too, such as if you've washed, douched, had sex, have an discharge, how close you are to your period, if there's any other diseases present, etc.

From what I gather, they'll probably want to do several pap smears to see what your subsequent tests show, and look to see if you produce several positive results in a row.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Old 01-24-2003, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
When do you get the results of the second test?

Lot's of things can cause abnormal paps, even things like the sample getting contaminated (which happens more often than we would like to think). My cousin (granted, she is older than you), had three paps over the course of one year that were all abnormal. She had other health issues, so her doctor didn't think much about it (she was hysterical, of course). But finally they are coming back normal again.

So try to relax until the next results get in.

Best wishes!

Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #5

livenlearn HB User

i was diagnosed with chlamydia last year.... april to be exact.... and was put on meds for a week.... i was re-tested... and it hadn't gone away... doc said i wasn't on meds long enough.. put me on meds again for another week.... re-tested... STILL didn't go away... put me on for a full 3 weeks... and finally the chlamydia was gone..... BUT... in the mean time, i had paps done..... and of course they came back "abnormal".... after the chlamydia was negative... i had a colposcopy done, so doc could see for sure what was causing the pap to be abnormal.... well, that came back "significantly improved" from my pap..... point is... the positive chlamydia was making my paps "abnormal".... since the colposcopy is much more detailed than a pap.... and it came back dramatically better.... AND the chlamydia was gone... i was scheduled for paps for every 3 months since.... i've had one in october 2002... that one came back "significantly improved" from the last one.... and i have one this coming february... which i'm assuming will come back "even more significantly improved" however, still showing "some" abnormalcies.... that's expected.... chlamydia is nasty... and does a number on you.... however, what's important is you were diagnosed and treated... MAKE SURE you've gotten RE-TESTED to make sure it's gone.... my doc says 9 times out of 10 docs don't re-test to make sure it's gone... they just assume ... "no symptoms anymore, meds given, its' gone".. but, obviously, in my case... that wasn't true.... i had to be treated 3 times for it to go away..... i'm hoping by june my paps come back normal... but, as long as they're showing improvements... i'm on the right track !

good luck....

Old 01-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #6

dunky HB User
relax and try to wait. I have had abnormals and get paps every 6 months routinely because I had some dyspacia(changed cells possibly precancerous) removed. Talk with your GYN. I recently had another abnormal and it turned out to be a little infection. Chlamydia is treatable and many people have it and unfortunately many men don't know so protect yourself. I can relate to this as well back when I was in college. Rest assured if you stay on top of whatever it is you will be ok. Follow up with your GYN and the latest pap results and tell them they need to really explain what is going on when they abnormal? Infection? PID? or a change inthe cells and can it be removed? If it is removed the procedure is in the office and not surgical. Take a deep breath and one day at a time.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
clamidia

Does a pap smear test for clamidia or is it something you have to request a specific test for?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: clamidia

Ifoster21- A pap smear, as you know, is done to screen for abnormal cells on the cevrix that may or may not have the potential to turn cancerous. The doc takes a swab specimen.
To test for chlamydia, the doctor would, at the same time, take a SEPARATE swab specimen from the cervix. They are two separate tests, requring two separate specimens but all taken at ONE pelvic exam.
There are now new, highly sensitive nucleic acid amplification tests that can detect chlamydia from a urine specimen as well.
A lot of doctors do not automatically take a separte second swab to test for chlamydia (and they should, especially in sexually active young people!) and if you are worried, request it!

zuzu xx

Closed Thread