It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #1

babyjd HB User
Question enlarged uterus

just came back from the doctor and was told I have an enlarged uterus. I have to schedule an appointment for an ultra sound. Can anyone tell me some symptoms of an enlarged uterus? I suffer from clotting, lower back pain, painful intercourse, and also diarhea. Im not sure if the diarhea has anything to do with my uterus. The doctor wants me to schedule an appointment for a colonoscopy. Im thinking I should wait until I have the ultra sound. Any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! I too was told that I had an enlarged uterus and they did not know what the cause of this was. I had a hysteroscopy to get a better look at my uterus and nothing was founded . It can just be normal for you. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I have an elarged uterus also, and have for the past five years. It's the size of a 3 mo. pregnancy. I don't have symptoms to speak of, just heavy bleeding and clots every few months. Had a D&C done and had some polyps removed; but the uterus is still the same size. I also have endo biopsies done every year or two (ouch)! I'm kind of used to it now so it doesn't phase me.

I just wonder why you need a colonoscopy. Did your doctor say why the bowel would have anything to do with the size of the uterus?

Old 11-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #4

babyjd HB User
Smile

thanks for replying. This is in response to dianek. I suffer from diarhea. He thinks it may be a bowel problem. But I read on other sites that the swollen uterus can push on your bowels causing problems. My mom who is 55 and my sister who is 34 both just had a hysterectomy within the last four months. My mom had fibroid tumors and an enlarged uterus and suffered from severe bleeding. My sister had endometriosis and an enlarged uterus. The endo grew onto her stomach and bowels. They both suffered from diarhea but not as bad as I get it. Both have had no diarhea sense the surgery. I m just going to have the ultra sound done first and see what they say about the uterus. Do you have painful intercouse? My doctor said that is one of the symptoms of an enlarged uterus. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again for your concern!

Old 11-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #5

2thorough HB User
Enlared Uterus

I too was told that I have an enlarged uterus (I had my well woman's exam on Friday), he asked when my LMP was, it was 10/24. Interesting enough, I do not have severe cramps if any when I have my cycle, nor do I have long irregular cycles. I come on like clock work. I am scheduled to have a vaginal sonogram on Thursday, should be interesting as to what they find.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
babybutt...you and I are neighbors in a way. I live in Niagara County! Very familiar with Cheektowaga. No pain with me at all. Hope your test went okay. Let us know.

Old 11-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
Veteran

robste HB User
Re: enlarged uterus

At my last gyn. appointment, my dr. told me that my uterus was enlarged. I'd never been told this before, and I've been going to the same dr. yearly for my annual exam for the past ten years. He kept examining me, and said he thought that he felt a fibroid. So, the next step was for me to come back the next week and have a vaginal ultrasound (only takes a few minutes). The ultrasound showed four fibroids in my uterus. (I'd recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, and now, my drs. think heavy periods and the fibroids are causing it.) Unfortunately, the dr. told me that it's too risky to remove the fibroids, so he put me on low dose birth control pills to try to lessen my periods and hopefully shrink the fibroids. I hope it works, because I really don't want to have to have my uterus removed.

Anyway, I'm sure there must be different reasons for an enlarged uterus. Possibly by ordering a colonoscopy, your dr. is trying to find the cause of the diarreah (sp?), but I don't know how the uterus is related to that, cause I'm not a doctor.

Please let us know what happens.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

Ahsantesana HB User
Thumbs up Re: enlarged uterus

I found your post while researching diarreah during periods. I too have an enlarges Uterus due to adenomyosis (a disorder in which the endometrial tissue grows into the uteran walls often causeing the uterus to double or triple in size). I had the option to have a hysterectomy but opted for a D&C and Cryoblation. I had no periods for about 6 months and now have very light periods (more like spotting than bleeding). I also experience lower back pain and diarreah during my period. I am 48 and in retrospect I wish I had gone ahead and had the hysterectomy and be done with the whole mess. Now I have to deal with diarreah instead of heavy periods and because I resumed having periods (such as they are) I also have to deal with birth control still.

My suggestion to anyone facing reproductive system issues (cysts, endomytriosis, adneomyosis, etc.) is to DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST and look at all possibilities of outcomes before you make your descision about treatment. Had I done that first (instead of just trusting my GYN -- even tho she is awesome) I would've opted for the hysterectomy since I am not planning on having any more children and am looking forward to menapause. Anyway -- good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: enlarged uterus

Wow, my posts are from almost four years ago.

A lot has happened since then to me. I had one more D&C for a polyp in 2005, and heavy bleeding as usual.

In January of this year, I finally went ahead and had a sub-total abdominal hysterectomy.

Reason I did it was because I had a tennis-ball sized fibroid, along with many others, and tons of polyps yet again. My doctor told me he couldn't keep giving me D&C's every year if not sooner, so I took the big step and gave in.

Turned out I had adenomyosis as well. How wonderful life is now...I kept my ovaries and cervix, and at age 52 I'm still ovulating like clockwork. So far I've saved myself a lot of pain and discomfort for almost 8 months now. I just get a little light brown discharge come period time...nothing to even think about.

Of course, what's right for me might not be right for you, but I wish I'd have done this 10 years ago. Life is great!

Closed Thread