It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 02:37 AM   #16

Jac HB User
My gyny thinks that some women, intitially have a yeast infection, which, after being treated, goes away, however the itchy symptoms do not because the yeast has cause inflammation. She suggests trying nappy rash cream to stop the itching. Anyway, it REALLY does work.

But I also feel for you guys that have problems getting rid of the yeast...I know I do. When mum was pregnant with me, she had a severe UTI and had to go on antibiotics. As a result, I had severe mouth thrush which was untreatble. So, now, i'm very succetible to yeast, and am unable to use any of the creams ether. Which drives me crazy. Luckily one or two course of diflucan clears me up...although that gets expensive.

Anyways,
lets keeping fighting it!

Old 11-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #17

true HB User
I have had lots of yeast infections. My dr. now trusts me to call in and tell her I have a yeast infection or vaginitis, although now I am beginning to question my ability to diagnose myself. She usually prescribes diflucan for the yeast, and flagyl for vaginitis (I am allergic to the -azole creams available otc). During the past couple of months I called saying I had vaginitis as I had a strong odor when I urinated. I received diflucan which is usually for yeast. I continued to have problems. I went in and had vaginitis and got a script for flagyl. I continued to have the strong odor. I thought it might be a UTI. I went in again. The dip test came back normal, but the sample sent to the lab grew some weird bacteria and I got cipro. That cleared up the smell, but I not have the itching of a yeast infection. I got diflucan, but the soreness hasn't gone away. I even have the soreness back to my anis. Would the boric acid be appropriate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 07:10 AM   #18

skoolpsych25 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by true
I have had lots of yeast infections. My dr. now trusts me to call in and tell her I have a yeast infection or vaginitis, although now I am beginning to question my ability to diagnose myself. She usually prescribes diflucan for the yeast, and flagyl for vaginitis (I am allergic to the -azole creams available otc). During the past couple of months I called saying I had vaginitis as I had a strong odor when I urinated. I received diflucan which is usually for yeast. I continued to have problems. I went in and had vaginitis and got a script for flagyl. I continued to have the strong odor. I thought it might be a UTI. I went in again. The dip test came back normal, but the sample sent to the lab grew some weird bacteria and I got cipro. That cleared up the smell, but I not have the itching of a yeast infection. I got diflucan, but the soreness hasn't gone away. I even have the soreness back to my anis. Would the boric acid be appropriate?
Hi True

A lot women on this board have suggested boric acid, and from them I know it is safe, and has a high effectivness rate, so I don't think it would be harmful for you to try it at all. Another suggestion I have for you is to try using tea tree oil externally. I have been battling some form of a yeast infection or vaginitis for months now, and have gotten a ton of external relief both from the itchiness and soreness. You just use it externally. There is a post by serenity elf I believe on this thread, and it details how to use it. I believe it is 5-10 drops in 21/2 cups of warm water and as you feel better you can use a lesser amount. You can either use a water bottle or a specally designed spray bottle found in med supply stores. But you just spray the area, including the anal area with it. It leaves this really pleasant tingle and smells really good. It has really helped me out. Hope you feel better!

Old 11-15-2003, 08:55 AM   #19

serenityelf HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by true
I Would the boric acid be appropriate?

I read the post on boric acid and while I never tried that because the method I used worked and I never get any anymore, But, I got concerned about the full strength boric acid. I asked the pharmacist and he said...WOW..better tell them to be careful because boric acid can burn and should never be used full with dilution. It can actually poison and can kill someone. He told me to mention that mucous membranes can easily absorb this treatment and really make someone sick. It even has a warning label on it. He also reiterated that it shouldn't even be used on open wounds because of it nature. So please, please, be careful and never use this stuff full strength.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #20

needs help HB User
Re: Yeast??

I am so frustrated! I have had this on going for over 2 years now. Every month!! I get it right after my period. I just used the last sample I got from the doc and it didn't help at all. I don't know what else to do. They don't seem to care. I call there and say I am sick of this and they just say blah blah and I am still not cured. Would going off the pill help?? I just don't understand where this is coming from. I am just upset and more or less venting tonight! I don't have insurance right now so I can't go to get help.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:25 AM   #21

serenityelf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs help
I am so frustrated! I have had this on going for over 2 years now. Every month!! I get it right after my period. I just used the last sample I got from the doc and it didn't help at all. I don't know what else to do. They don't seem to care. I call there and say I am sick of this and they just say blah blah and I am still not cured. Would going off the pill help?? I just don't understand where this is coming from. I am just upset and more or less venting tonight! I don't have insurance right now so I can't go to get help.

Have your tried the tea tree oil treatment including the tea tree oil suppositories? It really works. It may take a week, but keep using it in the spray you mix up via the instructions I posted even after it is gone, just use it in a milder form. I use it to this day at least once a day after going to the BR. If you need the instructions, let me know. It really works, but remember the key is to keep using it on maintenance later.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:27 AM   #22

skoolpsych25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs help
Hi Needs Help

I know exactly what you are going through as do most of the women on this board. I never would have made it through if it hadn't been for hearing from other people. My "infection" isn't exactly like yours..I had it all the time for about three months..white discharge, itchiness, pain during sex. And I switched doctors about five different times because I could not get anyone to take me seriously. They actually just kept prescribing the same medicines over and over again, and some made it worse.
Since you don't have insurance right now, I suggest trying the non-traditional remedies people have suggested on this board. Under this heading, there are people who have used Tea Tree Oil which has worked wonders with me (especially for itchiness!) and Boric acid is supposed to be great for really resistant yeast infections. Some have also recommended an over the counter anti-fungal cream, clotrimazole (spelling may be incorrect) that you just rub on the outside. Acidophilus capsules, which you can get in any health food store also may help restore good bacteria in that area.
As for the birth control, I asked the same question of my dr. but it was not really an issue for me because I had been on it for about eight years and only recently started getting this infection. However, if you starting having this problem as soon as you went on the pill, I'd say its a pretty good bet that you may need to switch birth control. Also, another thing that helped me was watching my diet and avoiding eating white bread, and lots of sweets,

I hope you feel better and that some of these remedies provide you with some relief. Its a slow process but I KNOW you will find some relief. Please write if you have any questions and hang in there...

Old 12-05-2003, 04:41 PM   #23

needs help HB User

I bought the tea tree oil but keep forgetting to do it all the time. I also was taken acidopholis but not sure how many to take. I did it for awhile but stopped because I didnt' think it was doing anything. The boric acid sounds scary. It just makes me so damn crabby! I have been on the pill for over 19 years or so and they keep switching me. I have spotting almost every month before my period, then i get it, then after I get this infection. I just want to feel normal again. I don't eat too many sweets really. I do eat bread, carbs are my downfall.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #24

ker1079 HB User

Schoolpsych, i am wondering how the tea tree oil is working out for you? Are you better yet, or do some symptoms still persist? Have you tried the regimen of difflucan? and if so , is it working. I have tried the boric acid, and have not had any success. I think this is strange since it seems to work for the "resistant" strains. I find it strange that nothing can kill this so called yeast, and it can't even be picked up on a culture. Let me know how the treatment is going for you. Thanks

Old 12-08-2003, 07:17 AM   #25

skoolpsych25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker1079
Schoolpsych, i am wondering how the tea tree oil is working out for you? Are you better yet, or do some symptoms still persist? Have you tried the regimen of difflucan? and if so , is it working. I have tried the boric acid, and have not had any success. I think this is strange since it seems to work for the "resistant" strains. I find it strange that nothing can kill this so called yeast, and it can't even be picked up on a culture. Let me know how the treatment is going for you. Thanks
Hi ker1079

Thanks for checking in. To answer your question, the tea tree oil has worked really well for me, though I had to use it for about a week or so to see results. But some of my symptoms still persist. For example, for about two weeks prior to Thanksgiving, I thought it had actually gone away for good. But then, towards the end of last week, I knew it was coming back. My lower stomach got really crampy, I started feeling some nausea, and the discharge came back. I don't know why I get those symptoms all the sudden but I do. I am going to my dr. this Friday. He has been reluctant to give me the Diflucan because he doesn't think it is yeast and thought I could contain it without meds. But I think the Tea tree oil and acidophilus and all the other supplements I was taking can only do so much-so I am going to demand the diflucan regimen..otherwise I don't think it will go away, I also think my diet may have something to do with it, as I ate some sweet foods over the holiday, and drank way more than I should have...
What are your symtoms again? Do you have constant discharge? What have you tried? I'm sorry the Boric acid hasn't worked for you, but I really do recommend the Tea Tree oil in the interim until you can figure out a treatment that works. I'll tell you what my dr. says and how the treatment is working when I FINALLY get it on Friday.
I know how bizarre this all is..because I think you are as young as me, and our symptoms mirror yeast, though all my tests came out negative for it, and treatments that should have worked have not.
Hang in there

Old 12-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #26

ker1079 HB User

Have you heard of cytolic vaginosis, which is an overgrowth of latobacilli and it causes the same symptoms of yeast? Do you think this is a possible explanation?
I couldn't get the link so i copied and pasted this to here:

Some women are plagued with what are thought to be chronic yeast infections (caused by the yeast, candida albicans).

But no matter how many different treatments they try, from topical and oral antifungals to home remedies, the vulvar itching and irritation does not go away.

Is it possible there is something else going on here?

Yes. A frequently misdiagnosed, little known, yet apparently quite common condition, called cytolytic vaginosis (CV), is often confused with a true yeast infection.

However, the two actually share almost nothing in common, except for symptoms. Like a yeast infection, cytolytic vaginosis is characterized by itching and burning, painful intercourse and a slight discharge. It also tends to become more symptomatic premenstrually.

Since the symptoms are so similar, physicians often mistake cytolytic vaginosis for a yeast infection.
Let me know what u think schoolpsych!

Old 12-08-2003, 10:38 AM   #27

skoolpsych25 HB User

Quote:
Have you heard of cytolic vaginosis, which is an overgrowth of latobacilli and it causes the same symptoms of yeast? Do you think this is a possible explanation?
I couldn't get the link so i copied and pasted this to here:

Some women are plagued with what are thought to be chronic yeast infections (caused by the yeast, candida albicans).

But no matter how many different treatments they try, from topical and oral antifungals to home remedies, the vulvar itching and irritation does not go away.

Is it possible there is something else going on here?

Yes. A frequently misdiagnosed, little known, yet apparently quite common condition, called cytolytic vaginosis (CV), is often confused with a true yeast infection.

However, the two actually share almost nothing in common, except for symptoms. Like a yeast infection, cytolytic vaginosis is characterized by itching and burning, painful intercourse and a slight discharge. It also tends to become more symptomatic premenstrually.

Since the symptoms are so similar, physicians often mistake cytolytic vaginosis for a yeast infection.
Let me know what u think schoolpsych!

I have heard of that too when I was frantically searching the web for anything about what I was experiencing. The only thing that kind of trips me up, is that I have my symptoms all the time, and haven't noticed a correlation between my symptoms..like, it doesn't become worse or better around my period. I also was experiencing pain during sex but that seems to have subsided. But as far as the itching and burning and the fact that I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it sounds like me.
I can ask my doctor on Friday. Do your symptoms occur right after or before your period?

Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 AM   #28

ker1079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsych25
I have heard of that too when I was frantically searching the web for anything about what I was experiencing. The only thing that kind of trips me up, is that I have my symptoms all the time, and haven't noticed a correlation between my symptoms..like, it doesn't become worse or better around my period. I also was experiencing pain during sex but that seems to have subsided. But as far as the itching and burning and the fact that I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it sounds like me.
I can ask my doctor on Friday. Do your symptoms occur right after or before your period?

No mine are all the time symptoms. the only thing is they get worse before my period and better after, but they never go away. I am thinking about trying treatment for cv. Ask your doctor about it-. Maybe you should have the doctor test your ph level? If i get a chance to go back to the doctor, I would have them check my ph and see if i was allergic to yeast. If the ph is low, then it would be cv , if its high it would be yeast. Let me know how it goes for you.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #29

skoolpsych25 HB User

Quote:
No mine are all the time symptoms. the only thing is they get worse before my period and better after, but they never go away. I am thinking about trying treatment for cv. Ask your doctor about it-. Maybe you should have the doctor test your ph level? If i get a chance to go back to the doctor, I would have them check my ph and see if i was allergic to yeast. If the ph is low, then it would be cv , if its high it would be yeast. Let me know how it goes for you.
Yeah I don't exactly notice that pattern but then again I may not be monitoring my symptoms close enough. Right now they seem worse but I am not scheduled to have my period for a few weeks. I had my PH level tested a while ago, and for some reason I think the dr. told me it was low, because she too was doubtful it was yeast...but then again so has everyone. I'm going to my dr. on Friday so I'll write all this down and let you know what happens. do you know what the treatment is for cv? Let me know.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:50 AM   #30

ker1079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsych25
Yeah I don't exactly notice that pattern but then again I may not be monitoring my symptoms close enough. Right now they seem worse but I am not scheduled to have my period for a few weeks. I had my PH level tested a while ago, and for some reason I think the dr. told me it was low, because she too was doubtful it was yeast...but then again so has everyone. I'm going to my dr. on Friday so I'll write all this down and let you know what happens. do you know what the treatment is for cv? Let me know.
[FONT=Arial]

From what I've read it is taking baking soda sitz baths and douching with baking soda and warm water...cheapest treatment I've found yet. Ask your doctor about it. I think if it is not getting better with yeast treatment, and yeast cultures are negative then this could be the answer. I think more should be done besides "yeast cultures" when the patient apprently has a problem that can't be diagnosed. Is this your first infection? I have never had any experience with this until this horror story. Doesn't make any sense that the first infection I get (yeast) would not go away with all of the treatments I have tried. I am not on birth control anymore, when I was on it I had no problems, now that I am off it I get this problem?? Well let me know what your doctor says and good luck!

Closed Thread