It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #31

skoolpsych25 HB User
Re: Yeast??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker1079
[FONT=Arial]

From what I've read it is taking baking soda sitz baths and douching with baking soda and warm water...cheapest treatment I've found yet. Ask your doctor about it. I think if it is not getting better with yeast treatment, and yeast cultures are negative then this could be the answer. I think more should be done besides "yeast cultures" when the patient apprently has a problem that can't be diagnosed. Is this your first infection? I have never had any experience with this until this horror story. Doesn't make any sense that the first infection I get (yeast) would not go away with all of the treatments I have tried. I am not on birth control anymore, when I was on it I had no problems, now that I am off it I get this problem?? Well let me know what your doctor says and good luck!
Ok..last reply I promise. No, I had never even had the inkling of a yeast infection until this nightmare began in August and it came on sooo suddenly. I have been on the same birth control since 18 (I'm now 25) so I don't think it is the cause. The treatment does sound cheap. I'm a little wary of douching because of all the creams I have tried..everytime I put something else up there, it gets more irritated and makes the infection worse. Yeah, and I agree. Doctors unforunately have a hard time taking people with chronic problems seriously. I always feel like they think I am a hypochondriac or something when I really I just need something that works (ugh). It makes me mad. I like the guy I am with now (although he isn't really working wonders) but before him I switched four times. I feel like no-one should have to deal with this, but no-one my age seems to have ever been through it.
anyways, hang in there and I'll let you know what happens after my appointment on Friday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #32

ker1079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsych25
Ok..last reply I promise. No, I had never even had the inkling of a yeast infection until this nightmare began in August and it came on sooo suddenly. I have been on the same birth control since 18 (I'm now 25) so I don't think it is the cause. The treatment does sound cheap. I'm a little wary of douching because of all the creams I have tried..everytime I put something else up there, it gets more irritated and makes the infection worse. Yeah, and I agree. Doctors unforunately have a hard time taking people with chronic problems seriously. I always feel like they think I am a hypochondriac or something when I really I just need something that works (ugh). It makes me mad. I like the guy I am with now (although he isn't really working wonders) but before him I switched four times. I feel like no-one should have to deal with this, but no-one my age seems to have ever been through it.
anyways, hang in there and I'll let you know what happens after my appointment on Friday.
Hey Schoolpsych:

Something else to ask the doctor about:

If you have constant symptoms but don't test for yeast, you may have "atrophic erythematous candidiasis" -- which is when the candida cells grow beneath the surface of the skin and are thus not captured by an external swab (or affected by topical antifungals!). Be aware that frequent use of antifungals (especially the topical "-azole" creams) may increase your pain.

If you suspect you may have these conditions, you can be tested for the presence
of elevated anti-candida IgE antibodies in your vaginal discharge. Yeast
allergies can be helped by hyposensitization (injection with tiny amounts
of the allergen), just like other allergies ,

and this is good too as a checklist for eliminating possibilities:

The following is a list of things you should ask your doctor to check for if you have or think you have Vulvodynia:

yeast culture, sensitivity to yeast, systemic or intestinal yeast, erythematous candidiasis? (yeast cells below the surface of the skin)
bacterial vaginosis (gardnerella), trichomonas, syphilis, gonorhea, vaginal B-strep, cytolic vaginosis (or cytolytic vaginosis, also called "lactobacillosis" or "Doederlein cytolysis." - an overgrowth of the good bacteria)
vaginal ph (which can show whether bacterial levels are normal)
herpes (with a swab test or a blood titer) swab tests are unreliable; only a positive test is meaningful - a negative one only means the swab didn't pick up any virus at that time. Also, HSV frequently does not cause the classic blisters. Blood antibody tests are more accurate, especially those that differentiate between the types.)
HPV (If the test is positive, DNA type the strain.)
hormonal problems and imbalances
nerve damage due to trauma
pelvic muscle tension
autoimmune diseases conditions giving the Anti-Nuclear Antibody (ANA) test (Elevated levels of ANAs can indicate that antibodies are attacking healthy tissue)

Based on everything we have been through.. I think it is either the overgrowth of lactobacilli or a yeast allergy below the surface of the skin. I am going to the regular doctor Friday, then the gyno. I hate HMO's....... I hope the doctor has some ideas. I will let you know how it goes/& you let me know too.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #33

serenityelf HB User

[QUOTE=ker1079]Hey Schoolpsych:

If you have constant symptoms but don't test for yeast, you may have "atrophic erythematous candidiasis" -- which is when the candida cells grow beneath the surface of the skin and are thus not captured by an external swab (or affected by topical antifungals!). Be aware that frequent use of antifungals (especially the topical "-azole" creams) may increase your pain.

As I've mentioned before this is exactly what I had only at the time they never told me the technical name; they simply called it deep tissue candidia. It never showed up in regular tests, but did show up in a tissue sample later while I was being treated for cancer. As I've also said the only method that cured my six year long battle with until then an unknown thing was the long term, low dose treatment with diflucan and tea tree oil as a future preventative.

Good luck! I take it that means your doctor still has not given you any long term difulcan treatment.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:58 AM   #34

skoolpsych25 HB User

[QUOTE=serenityelf]
Quote:
Hey Schoolpsych:

As I've mentioned before this is exactly what I had only at the time they never told me the technical name; they simply called it deep tissue candidia. It never showed up in regular tests, but did show up in a tissue sample later while I was being treated for cancer. As I've also said the only method that cured my six year long battle with until then an unknown thing was the long term, low dose treatment with diflucan and tea tree oil as a future preventative.

Good luck! I take it that means your doctor still has not given you any long term difulcan treatment.
Hi Serenity Elf

No, sadly, my doctor still hasn't provided me with the low dose treatment. I keep fluctuating between feeling fine and then re-lapsing. So, I have an appointment scheduled for early tommorow and plan to give my dr. hell we'll see how it all pans out. I have printed out the technical name of this condition as well as a bunch of other info and am armed and ready. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:28 AM   #35

samicat HB User

Quote:
I have had what seems to be a yeast infection for the past five months. Nothing I have done takes it away. I have taken difflucan, terazol, monistat and nothing helps. When I am taking these medications (terazol, monistat) the symptoms get alittle better, but it never completely goes away. The difflucan does nothing for me. Also, I have been to the doctor and they tell me I am fine. Had numerous cultures that show up negative for yeast and everything. SO I don't even know if it is yeast- I am just guessing, because all of the symptoms point towards yeast. Now I don't know I have been reading a lot and might try herbal remedies for the yeast. Also, could it be the good bacteria instead of yeast (if all my tests were negative for yeast). I was going to try the baking soda treatment, but then if it does happen to he yeast I coud make myself WORSE. Any ideas?? I will try anything; I just want to get better.
Hi, I just came across this forum while researching new treatments for yeast. I am just like you. I have tried everything and my cultures are negative. Over the course of my research and in speaking with my mom who is a microbiologist I have discovered that the yeast don't always show up in the culture or under the microscope. In fact, one doctor who wrote a book about yeast infections (and I can't say how accurate this is one way or another) said that they only show up on the microscope 40 percent of the time. Also, you may have a different type of yeast than candida albicans (which is the most common type and the type that most antifungal creams target and the kind they look out for under the microscope, other strains appear differently and I'm not sure I trust that they are looking out for the other strains like they should). If you have used those other creams and orals to treat a different type of yeast, it can actually make the other yeast stronger and more resistant because they start to take over once the albicans die off. It is so frustrating that I want to pull my hair out so I know how you feel. The doctors look at you like you are nuts, but if everything else has been ruled out (bacterial vaginosis, std's herpes, diabetes, aids etc.) then most likely you do have a yeast infection.
In regards to the boric acid, there IS clinical data that supports its efficacy so I would give it a try. Honestly, I think the reason why we don't know much about it is because alot of medical research is funded by pharmaceutical companies who don't want you to buy the $6 a bottle boric acid. They want you to buy the astronomically priced diflucan.You can ask your doctor to write you a prescription and they can make you a special formulation at the pharmacy. Most internet sites and literature recommend 600 mg intravaginally twice a day for fourteen days and it can be used for longer if needed (or so I've read). You can also purchase it from a health food store or drug store and then buy the caps and fill them yourself, although I would prefer that the pharmacist do it for me. I am going to try this again. I tried it once for a few days but went off it because it can burn slightly, but I am willing to give it another try because I am so desperate.
If you want a definitive culture result I would recommend staying off the oral antifungals and creams for at least a week beforehand, insisting that they do the culture on a Sabouraud's medium, do a pH test, a wet prep, and a whiff test and try to go in when your symptoms are at their worst. Also insist that they swab all around inside as well as on the inner labia because yeast are not always present on the cervix (which is where they usually swab).

Old 12-12-2003, 01:08 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

My sympathy to all suffering with long term yeast problems.
Samicat--you are so right when you said how using the OTC yeast creams can kill off the albicans, when used repeatedly. This happened to me 2 yrs ago. I ended up with a resistant yeast called glabrata. I saw 5 or 6 Dr's who told me that I didn't have yeast, yet I knew that I did. The pain was so intense it was unbearable. I ended up quitting my job and was very depressed. Finally I got lucky and found a very good Dr., (a uro- gyn) and he discovered the glabrata. It took almost 3 months to get rid of it. After it was gone, my skin was so damaged that I remained in pain, (vulvodynia). I still have some remaining pain after 8 months, but it is getting better. If anyone has any questions, let me know. (I posted this before a few months ago).

Good luck-
DEDA

Old 12-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #37

ker1079 HB User

In fact, one doctor who wrote a book about yeast infections (and I can't say how accurate this is one way or another) said that they only show up on the microscope 40 percent of the time.

I agree that yeast may not always show up, but I would think the statistics would be a little better than this.
Also, you may have a different type of yeast than candida albicans (which is the most common type and the type that most antifungal creams target and the kind they look out for under the microscope, other strains appear differently and I'm not sure I trust that they are looking out for the other strains like they should). If you have used those other creams and orals to treat a different type of yeast, it can actually make the other yeast stronger and more resistant because they start to take over once the albicans die off.

I have heard of the yeast becoming resistant, but would this apply to someone when this is their first infection??

It is so frustrating that I want to pull my hair out so I know how you feel. The doctors look at you like you are nuts, but if everything else has been ruled out (bacterial vaginosis, std's herpes, diabetes, aids etc.) then most likely you do have a yeast infection.
In regards to the boric acid, there IS clinical data that supports its efficacy so I would give it a try. Honestly, I think the reason why we don't know much about it is because alot of medical research is funded by pharmaceutical companies who don't want you to buy the $6 a bottle boric acid. They want you to buy the astronomically priced diflucan.You can ask your doctor to write you a prescription and they can make you a special formulation at the pharmacy. Most internet sites and literature recommend 600 mg intravaginally twice a day for fourteen days and it can be used for longer if needed (or so I've read). You can also purchase it from a health food store or drug store and then buy the caps and fill them yourself, although I would prefer that the pharmacist do it for me. I am going to try this again. I tried it once for a few days but went off it because it can burn slightly, but I am willing to give it another try because I am so desperate.

At some point, I have to throw the yeast theory out the window...I've tried the boric acid and if that doesn't work, then I don't really think that it is my problem.

If you want a definitive culture result I would recommend staying off the oral antifungals and creams for at least a week beforehand, insisting that they do the culture on a Sabouraud's medium, do a pH test, a wet prep, and a whiff test and try to go in when your symptoms are at their worst. Also insist that they swab all around inside as well as on the inner labia because yeast are not always present on the cervix (which is where they usually swab).[/QUOTE]

You'd think all of this would just be part of the standard process maybe then so many of us wouldn't be sufferening longer then we have to!
I have tried the baking soda for cytolic vaginosis, I was/am desperate. I am feeling a lot better. I really hope this is the answer!

Old 12-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #38

samicat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda
My sympathy to all suffering with long term yeast problems.
Samicat--you are so right when you said how using the OTC yeast creams can kill off the albicans, when used repeatedly. This happened to me 2 yrs ago. I ended up with a resistant yeast called glabrata. I saw 5 or 6 Dr's who told me that I didn't have yeast, yet I knew that I did. The pain was so intense it was unbearable. I ended up quitting my job and was very depressed. Finally I got lucky and found a very good Dr., (a uro- gyn) and he discovered the glabrata. It took almost 3 months to get rid of it. After it was gone, my skin was so damaged that I remained in pain, (vulvodynia). I still have some remaining pain after 8 months, but it is getting better. If anyone has any questions, let me know. (I posted this before a few months ago).

Good luck-
DEDA
What did he use to get rid of it? Was it long term diflucan? I was on that for three weeks at one point and now I am on Nizarol for ten days and it isn't helping. I am thinking it may be the glabrata. I'll get my mom to look at it when I go home in a few days. I really don't think they look out for the other yeast like they should because it looks different. Sometimes I wonder if they even have experienced microbiologists looking at those cultures. If they did, then why would they miss the glabrata or other strains besides the albicans. Of course, they aren't the one suffering so maybe they don't care!

Old 12-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #39

samicat HB User

Quote:
In fact, one doctor who wrote a book about yeast infections (and I can't say how accurate this is one way or another) said that they only show up on the microscope 40 percent of the time.

I agree that yeast may not always show up, but I would think the statistics would be a little better than this.
Also, you may have a different type of yeast than candida albicans (which is the most common type and the type that most antifungal creams target and the kind they look out for under the microscope, other strains appear differently and I'm not sure I trust that they are looking out for the other strains like they should). If you have used those other creams and orals to treat a different type of yeast, it can actually make the other yeast stronger and more resistant because they start to take over once the albicans die off.

I have heard of the yeast becoming resistant, but would this apply to someone when this is their first infection??

It is so frustrating that I want to pull my hair out so I know how you feel. The doctors look at you like you are nuts, but if everything else has been ruled out (bacterial vaginosis, std's herpes, diabetes, aids etc.) then most likely you do have a yeast infection.

At some point, I have to throw the yeast theory out the window...I've tried the boric acid and if that doesn't work, then I don't really think that it is my problem.

If you want a definitive culture result I would recommend staying off the oral antifungals and creams for at least a week beforehand, insisting that they do the culture on a Sabouraud's medium, do a pH test, a wet prep, and a whiff test and try to go in when your symptoms are at their worst. Also insist that they swab all around inside as well as on the inner labia because yeast are not always present on the cervix (which is where they usually swab).
You'd think all of this would just be part of the standard process maybe then so many of us wouldn't be sufferening longer then we have to!
I have tried the baking soda for cytolic vaginosis, I was/am desperate. I am feeling a lot better. I really hope this is the answer![/QUOTE]

I'm glad that you are feeling better. You never know, maybe it isn't yeast although if you were using all of those other creams against the glabrata then it could be resistant (on your first infection) because the glabrata is very hard to eradicate and it usually takes longer term therapy. Also, all of those creams might have made it worse (what I said about it killing the albicans and then the other more resistant yeast taking over). Keep me posted on the baking soda thing

Old 12-12-2003, 06:16 PM   #40

samicat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityelf
I read the post on boric acid and while I never tried that because the method I used worked and I never get any anymore, But, I got concerned about the full strength boric acid. I asked the pharmacist and he said...WOW..better tell them to be careful because boric acid can burn and should never be used full with dilution. It can actually poison and can kill someone. He told me to mention that mucous membranes can easily absorb this treatment and really make someone sick. It even has a warning label on it. He also reiterated that it shouldn't even be used on open wounds because of it nature. So please, please, be careful and never use this stuff full strength.
What does "full strength" mean? All of the internet sites etc. say 600 mg. Is that full strength?

Old 12-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #41

samicat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs help
I bought the tea tree oil but keep forgetting to do it all the time. I also was taken acidopholis but not sure how many to take. I did it for awhile but stopped because I didnt' think it was doing anything. The boric acid sounds scary. It just makes me so damn crabby! I have been on the pill for over 19 years or so and they keep switching me. I have spotting almost every month before my period, then i get it, then after I get this infection. I just want to feel normal again. I don't eat too many sweets really. I do eat bread, carbs are my downfall.
My doctor said that birth control can indeed make you more susceptible to yeast because yeast thrive in estrogen rich environments. Although, I thought it was interesting because some physicians assistant recommended that I try the "nuva ring" the one that you stick inside your vagina and leave it for three weeks. She said that the drug reps are touting it as something that promotes an unfavorable environment for the yeast, although I don't know if I trust that. I'm going to try the tea tree oil and boric acid first.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

samicat--

I wanted to get back to you before I head to bed...

When the Dr. discovered the glabrata he put me on Nizoral, 1 tab a day. (200 mg). He wanrted me to use Terazol 7, but I refused at the time as I was in so much pain, that anything I applied down there hurt so bad. Well, I felt better in about 3 days. My pain was reduced quite a bit, but still there was pain. He had me check in 2 weeks later. Still a lot of yeast. Do you know that he had filled one of those vials/test tubes about 1/3 full? (Gross I know, but I was shocked) That surprised me, as 2 days before THIS Dr. dx'd the glabrata, I saw another GYN who told me I had no yeast! Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, when he dx'd this, all he did was a wet prep and saw it under a high powered microscope! I've read that it doesn't always culture out! Anyway, I stayed on that Nizoral (oral, 200 mg) for about 2 months. And like I said, I did feel better, I just could tell it wasn't completely gone. So after 2 months, when I felt that my skin there had healed some and I had less pain, we then did try the Terazol 7. He gave me 2 tubes, and I applied it at bedtime, and then applied it again 12 hours later, and I would insert a small tampon to keep it from coming out. I was so determined to get rid of it for once and for all that I did something I really shouldn't have done....I went back on the Nizoral as well, (against my Dr's knowledge, as he was worried about the possibility of liver damage, which at this point I didn't care anymore). So I also took Nizoral, not 1 a day, but 1 200 Mg every 12 hours. Did all of this, the cream and Nizoral for 8 days straight, never missed a single dose. And to make my chances of getting rid of it even better, I followed a strict NO-YEAST diet for the whole 8 days. So when I went back to get checked he said it was gone, and guess what I said? "Can you be certain of this?" I really didn't trust it Samicat, as I had had it for 13 months. I was in pain that long!! My skin down there was so excoriated, flat, dry..it was a mess. It just started feeling back to normal 2 months ago, as far as the way the skin down there feels.
There is an excellent book, called The V Book by Dr. Elizabeth Stewart that is great, and has a great chapter on yeast, and also covers glabrata. You can do a search on it, and you can even read pages of it concerning yeast.
I also found out after this infection was all taken care of, that I was hypothyroid, and that could have been the reason I kept getting yeast inf. repeatedly in '01, thus treating myself over and over with OTC creams, which led to the Glabrata.
My Dr. that treated it was on the young side, and I think that helped as far as him recognizing the resistant yeast. He told me that when he was doing his fellowship, that he would see glabrata maybe 1 time a month, but today he sees it in our clinic everyday, probably due to these creams now being available OTC, and we women are over treating yeast, and sometimes treating what we think is yeast, and it's actually something else.
I will love this Dr. forever!

Good luck samicat, and all others with yeast problems...my heart and prayers go out to you.
DEDA

Old 12-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #43

samicat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda
samicat--

I wanted to get back to you before I head to bed...

When the Dr. discovered the glabrata he put me on Nizoral, 1 tab a day. (200 mg). He wanrted me to use Terazol 7, but I refused at the time as I was in so much pain, that anything I applied down there hurt so bad. Well, I felt better in about 3 days. My pain was reduced quite a bit, but still there was pain. He had me check in 2 weeks later. Still a lot of yeast. Do you know that he had filled one of those vials/test tubes about 1/3 full? (Gross I know, but I was shocked) That surprised me, as 2 days before THIS Dr. dx'd the glabrata, I saw another GYN who told me I had no yeast! Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, when he dx'd this, all he did was a wet prep and saw it under a high powered microscope! I've read that it doesn't always culture out! Anyway, I stayed on that Nizoral (oral, 200 mg) for about 2 months. And like I said, I did feel better, I just could tell it wasn't completely gone. So after 2 months, when I felt that my skin there had healed some and I had less pain, we then did try the Terazol 7. He gave me 2 tubes, and I applied it at bedtime, and then applied it again 12 hours later, and I would insert a small tampon to keep it from coming out. I was so determined to get rid of it for once and for all that I did something I really shouldn't have done....I went back on the Nizoral as well, (against my Dr's knowledge, as he was worried about the possibility of liver damage, which at this point I didn't care anymore). So I also took Nizoral, not 1 a day, but 1 200 Mg every 12 hours. Did all of this, the cream and Nizoral for 8 days straight, never missed a single dose. And to make my chances of getting rid of it even better, I followed a strict NO-YEAST diet for the whole 8 days. So when I went back to get checked he said it was gone, and guess what I said? "Can you be certain of this?" I really didn't trust it Samicat, as I had had it for 13 months. I was in pain that long!! My skin down there was so excoriated, flat, dry..it was a mess. It just started feeling back to normal 2 months ago, as far as the way the skin down there feels.
There is an excellent book, called The V Book by Dr. Elizabeth Stewart that is great, and has a great chapter on yeast, and also covers glabrata. You can do a search on it, and you can even read pages of it concerning yeast.
I also found out after this infection was all taken care of, that I was hypothyroid, and that could have been the reason I kept getting yeast inf. repeatedly in '01, thus treating myself over and over with OTC creams, which led to the Glabrata.
My Dr. that treated it was on the young side, and I think that helped as far as him recognizing the resistant yeast. He told me that when he was doing his fellowship, that he would see glabrata maybe 1 time a month, but today he sees it in our clinic everyday, probably due to these creams now being available OTC, and we women are over treating yeast, and sometimes treating what we think is yeast, and it's actually something else.
I will love this Dr. forever!

Good luck samicat, and all others with yeast problems...my heart and prayers go out to you.
DEDA
That sounds so awful! I feel like I am getting close to that point as my skin down there is getting really sore. My doctor (well actually physician's assistant, I can't get into the doctor til january 20th) put me on nizoral 200 mg for ten days. I am on my sixth day and I have more discharge then I did before I started and my symptoms have not improved, if anything they are worse. I really don't know what to do. I feel like going off of it because the side effects are really getting to me and I don't want to make myself even more susceptible by continuously taking drugs. Everything else has been ruled out except that overgrowth of lactobacillus and I don't think it's that, it doesn't cycle or anything, only in response to medications. I called my doctor and said I wanted her to call in the boric acid supositories and she never called back so I guess I'll have to try it on my own....when you were diagnosed with the hypothyroid, did they detect it with just the TSH test or did they do anything else like the t3 or t4 count because I had mind tested with just the TSH and he said it was normal but I've read that the TSH isn't always accurate for diagnosis. That's a good tip about the young doctor. Maybe I will try to find a younger one. I have never met the new one I scheduled with although his name is Walter so I doubt he is young. The thing is, most doctors have no clue about the glabrata! What is their problem?
p.s. I feel like the terazol makes me itch more!

Old 12-15-2003, 01:25 AM   #44

lamby-pie HB User

I have been treating myself for candida and vulvodynia. I am improving, although slowly. I hope my story can help everyone here.
1993-I was given antibiotics via I.V. for an entire month when a doctor mis-diagnosed my endometriosis for P.I.D.
1994. Had a laproscopy for endo, put on birth control pills to supress it.
Also was a vegetarian, lots of carbs and sugar.
Fast forward to 1997. Intercourse became painful. My vulva felt very tight, and I would tear open (like a paper cut) at the 6 o'clock area of my vulva.
I should note that I NEVER had a typical "yeast infection". No discharge, itching, or smell. Doctors were stumped or apathetic, kept telling me to use more lube, use steroid creams, just relax, etc. etc. for years while the problem kept getting worse and worse. All testing, bloodwork, etc. came up negative. Intercourse became so very painful I cried afterwards and threatened the stability of my marriage. I finally found a gyne who suggested yeast overgrowth. She said it would be useless to test me, but I should try treatment and see if I improve. Starve the yeast, kill the yeast, improve your immune system. IT IS WORKING!
Here is what I have been doing....
Diet: Eat nothing that feeds yeast. I eat meat (no breading), low carb veggies, eggs, some plain SF fruit free yogurt, small amounts of ricotta cheese, cashews, almonds. I gave up coffee, as caffiene kills acidophilus, etc and have switched to green tea. I drink a lot of water. NO sugar or starches!! This is probably the most important part of healing.
Anti-fungals: I do not want to rely on prescription meds. I rotate taking caprylic acid, grapefruit seed extract, Kyolic garlic, oil of oregano, Pau D'arco, and goldenseal to kill the yeast. I also rotate in Candistat and other anti-candida storebought stuff.Take probiotics: Threelac is the best probiotic I've found so far to replace the good stuff. Do a google search.
Vaginal care: I douche every other day with apple cider vinegar and a
SMALL amount of tea tree oil. DO NOT take TTO orally, it is toxic in large amounts! I put vit. E on my vulva before bed. Sometimes I also douche with Kyolic garlic and acidophilus. The boric acid works great, but I don't think it is something you are supposed to do for more than 2 weeks at a time...
Enemas: I flush out my large intestine with a Kyolic garlic/acidophilus enema, holding it as long as I can.
You might go through a period of "die-off", where you feel weak, tired, and maybe ill. This is normal. It is the yeast dying and releasing toxins into your bloodstream. You will feel better after this detoxifying period.
If you are at your wits end, give this a try and give it some time to work. Also, don't go back to eating garbage after you start to feel better, the yeast problem will come back with a quickness. I accept the fact that fighting candida will require a lifestyle change for me. Yes the diet is hard, but this is my last chance for health. I'm not selling anything, just hoping this info helps someone else who has been struggling like me.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:37 AM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Samicat--
I'm off to bed in a min. and just was checking my list/messages.

About my hypo thyroid...you know, when I first went to the dr with the yeast issues, (she was a NP), the 1st thing she checked for was glucose and TSH only. My TSH came back at 3.6, out of a range of .5-5.5. So, I was considered in so called "normal range", altho I was starting to get other symptoms as well. About 10 months later, they tested again--TSH only, came out 3.5. And I was continuing to have some bizarre symptoms, that I had NO idea were related to hypo. I was thinking I had MS at times. So finally this summer, I started really researching thyroid, especially on these boards, and when I was reading other ppl's stories on here, I KNEW it was what was wrong with me. I went to the dr. (GP) and told her, "I know what's wrong with me, I'm hypo, just like my mom was and brother, etc) Sure enough, my TSH was 8.6. I was going to insist they treat me no matter if I was in normal range, even if I had to pay out of my pocket to see a natuopath doc or whatever. I think if they had done a full thyroid panel w/ TSH, Ft4, Ft3 AND thyroid antibodies, it would have shown up a hell of a lot earlier, and I wouldn't have suffered for so long. Now I'm having a heck of a time recovering, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get back to feeling normal again. I guess the longer you go w/o getting DX'd for thyroid probs, the more damge is done, and it's going to take longer to fix you. Stupid Dr's...or should I just say stupid health care system! I think they just try to avoid all of these more thorough tests just to save money, and it's a shame.

Oh, about the Terazol...yes, it did seem to make me itch more, even burn more. But S-cat, I was in SO much pain already, I was willing to put up with a bit more, ANYTHING in order to get rid of that yeast! Yes, it did make things worse. As far as the Nizoral, I guess I was lucky with that one as I didn't have any side effects that I noticed. I've heard it can really upset your stomach, have you been bothered with that?
Funny you mention your doc's name was Walter...that was my doc's last name! I just can't understand why so few dr's know what these resistent yeasts look like, let alone even have heard of them!! If you have the freedom of selecting any Dr. you want, you might want to try calling around to different Gyns, and ask if they are experienced in treating resistent/non-albicans vaginal yeast problems.

Talk to ya later...please let me know if i can answer any more questions for you. And I sure hope you get this resolved soon Samicat. I'm sure eventually you will.

DEDA

Closed Thread