It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #1

ker1079 HB User
Yeast??

I have had what seems to be a yeast infection for the past five months. Nothing I have done takes it away. I have taken difflucan, terazol, monistat and nothing helps. When I am taking these medications (terazol, monistat) the symptoms get alittle better, but it never completely goes away. The difflucan does nothing for me. Also, I have been to the doctor and they tell me I am fine. Had numerous cultures that show up negative for yeast and everything. SO I don't even know if it is yeast- I am just guessing, because all of the symptoms point towards yeast. Now I don't know I have been reading a lot and might try herbal remedies for the yeast. Also, could it be the good bacteria instead of yeast (if all my tests were negative for yeast). I was going to try the baking soda treatment, but then if it does happen to he yeast I coud make myself WORSE. Any ideas?? I will try anything; I just want to get better.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #2

AbleLena HB User
Boric acid for yeast

Boric acid is a very helpful treatment for chronic and resistant yeast infections.

Taken internally, it is toxic, so I'm inclined to be really explicit - YOU DO NOT SWALLOW IT - you apply the powder to your vulva or insert it into your vagina.

Naturopaths have suggested it for years. The reason why it works is that many women who are prone to yeast infections have neutral or high vaginal pH, whereas it should be slightly acidic (around 5 on the pH scale). Yeast can't thrive in an acidic environment. Boric acid has the right pH to make your vagina mildly acidic. I think that's why drinking cranberry juice works, too.

You can apply some of the power directly - it doesn't take much. Or, you can fill a gel cap about 1/3 of the way with the powder and insert that. It only costs about $6 for a three month supply, and many pharmacies carry it. I buy caps, and fill enough for a couple of months at a time.

Initially, you may want to use it for about one to two weeks every night (while wearing a pad). Then, just use it for a few days out of the month - when you're on your period, for example.

Stop using it if it makes you more irritated. Always wash your hands really well after touching the powder - and don't let anyone have oral sex with you until you've had a chance to completely rinse it out in a bath. Don't use it on open wounds.

With all those warnings, it sounds kind of scary, but it's really harmless and totally effective when used externally - and it's effective for strains of yeast that are resistant to other treatments. Now, I just use two or three caps a month, and it keeps the yeast at bay. I wish I'd known about it 15 years ago. Could have saved me a lot of frustration, pain (and money).

Just remember that vulodynia can have a lot of other causes than yeast (for example, sometimes foods high in oxalic acid can cause vulodynia... cranberry juice could be making it worse) . Make sure you know what you're treating before you start trying various remedies.

If it still makes you nervous, read the info on these links about using boric acid to treat yeast:
[url]http://www.med.umich.edu/obgyn/vulva/yeast.htm[/url] and [url]http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/ex/selfcare...tion.php#recurr[/url]

Hope that helps. Lena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #3

ker1079 HB User
Thanks I am going to try this. Do you know where I can get it without a perscription?? My insurance doesn't kick back in until december and I am despearate!

Old 11-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
Inactive

bernard69 HB User
does your private have an odor other than normal because if it does then you have a bacterial/fungal infection but don't worry you can get rid of it by going to the closet pharmacy to you and buy the cream it's in a box with a tube of cream and a plastic applicater to puch the cream up your vagina kinda looks like a long tampax type thing but you'll feel better in 1-3 day but don't stop using it until it's gone you'll feel 100% better but don't stop until you completly get rid of it don't want it to come back it should be by all the femine products ok good luck and get better

Old 11-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #5

ker1079 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard69
does your private have an odor other than normal because if it does then you have a bacterial/fungal infection but don't worry you can get rid of it by going to the closet pharmacy to you and buy the cream it's in a box with a tube of cream and a plastic applicater to puch the cream up your vagina kinda looks like a long tampax type thing but you'll feel better in 1-3 day but don't stop using it until it's gone you'll feel 100% better but don't stop until you completly get rid of it don't want it to come back it should be by all the femine products ok good luck and get better
Thanks , but I the thing is I have already tried all these cremes that are otc ( and some prescribed) and I am inquiring on how to go about getting the boric acid. I think this may be the only thing that will help me. I have had this problem for five months and nothing is working! I am sure it is yeast even though the cultures come out negative. So this boric acid is pretty much my last resort! I went to Walgreens and they pointed at some bug spray boric acid. I refrained from purchasing it , as I do not think this is the one I am supposed to get for my infection.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
KS-

The type of boric acid that you are looking for can usually be found in the eye care section of a drug store. I bought some at Rite Aid. It was $2.99 for a bottle. Also pick up some gelatin capsules while you're there. If they don't carry those, you can get them at a health food store.

Good luck
D-

Old 11-11-2003, 07:36 AM   #7

ker1079 HB User
I appreciate all the advice. I got the boric acid yesterday at the pharmacy. Actually, they made me the pills without a perscription, I told them I was going to make them myself anyway, so they just made them for me. Of course, it was more money this way. I am going to try this- the only thing is I hope I am trying the right thing. I am so confused because they have looked at my discharge under a microscope and did not see any yeast, or anything. They said it was normal, and the cultures only grew "normal flora"- Is it possible that this is still a yeast problem?? I definitley have all the "yeast" symptoms. Even before they do the testing the doctors always say- yep looks like yeast, then they get the test back and it is always negative. Another reason why I think it is yeast, is that when I do take yeast medication it does relieve some of the symptoms- just not completely...it never goes away completely. Since I am desperate, although I do not have any accurate diagnosis, I am going to try this boric acid treatment and I will let you know how it goes. Thank you!!

Old 11-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #8

skoolpsych25 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker1079
I appreciate all the advice. I got the boric acid yesterday at the pharmacy. Actually, they made me the pills without a perscription, I told them I was going to make them myself anyway, so they just made them for me. Of course, it was more money this way. I am going to try this- the only thing is I hope I am trying the right thing. I am so confused because they have looked at my discharge under a microscope and did not see any yeast, or anything. They said it was normal, and the cultures only grew "normal flora"- Is it possible that this is still a yeast problem?? I definitley have all the "yeast" symptoms. Even before they do the testing the doctors always say- yep looks like yeast, then they get the test back and it is always negative. Another reason why I think it is yeast, is that when I do take yeast medication it does relieve some of the symptoms- just not completely...it never goes away completely. Since I am desperate, although I do not have any accurate diagnosis, I am going to try this boric acid treatment and I will let you know how it goes. Thank you!!
Hi..just wanted to let you know I am going through the same thing. At the end of August-early September I had all the signs of a yeast infection. I tried over the counter meds, and even diflucan. Then because they could not find yeast either by culture or by looking under a microscope, they started treating me with bacterial vaginosis meds (I didn't have any of the symptoms of BV which is what made it so frustrating). My symptoms are a constant white discharge (although it isn't so much "cottage cheese" as mucusy and kinda runny, it has no odor, but it iches and burns and never goes away!!!! No-one tells me it is yeast even though I know it is..I finally heard from a woman on this board who told me she had become highly yeast sensitive and it never showed up on cultures or under a microscope. She finally found a gynecologist who gave her a long term dose of diflucan(low dosge--50mg) for am period of three months. I am currently with a new gynocologist and trying to push for this kind of treatment. You may want to do the same. I know how frustrating it is,

This same woman also recommended tea tree oil to me (you can find it at Walmart) and it has given me some external relief..you just spray it on outside of the vagina. I would caution you to wait before using the boric acid because you don't want to make things worse internally. My new doctor warned me not to douche or put too much stuff up there because it could infect your urethra. You know they do make boric acid tablets which you can put in a bath and it is supposed to be soothing. I'd start with that first, but I'm not an expert.

I just wanted you to know I have been going through the same thing. Keep me updated!

Hillary

Old 11-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #9

ker1079 HB User
Thanks .. I guess I am just a bit of a skeptic when it comes to all of this! Nothing makes any sense. I would ask the gyno. for more help, but I am having insurance difficulties. Let me know how the difflucan works for you. I have taken the difflucan but the one pill - and THAT did nothing. I took the one pill at two different times. Maybe the steady treatment will work, let me know how it goes. This way when I do get insurance again, and if I still have my problem (hope not) then I can request this. Of course, time for a new doc, because getting some seven day terazol from her was like pulling teeth. Thanks and keep me posted!

Old 11-11-2003, 11:52 AM   #10

AbleLena HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker1079
Thanks .. I guess I am just a bit of a skeptic when it comes to all of this! Nothing makes any sense.
True. I've had the same sort of ongoing and unexplained problems. My yeast cultures always turned up negative - but I think that was becuase I was always trying to treat it with one thing or another. Turns out I had a "subclinical" yeast problem. It didn't show up on tests, but I felt it nonetheless. I also tried to rule out every other cause of vuvlodynia first. But I've had such an extensive history of yeast infections, that I was pretty sure that I knew what I was experiencing.

Anyway, it's true that you don't want to take anything that you don't need - including boric acid. I also want to mention that very little boric acis is required for it to be effective. I recently went out of town - got a yeast infection, and went out to find some boric acid to treat it. This wacked-out little town I was in had the powder - but no one sold gel caps to put it in, so I just applied it externally. I applied a lot less than I used to use in the caps, and it worked just as well. Now, I put very little in the caps, because I want to limit how much of it I use overall.

Nothing against Hillary - your post was really smart... But I think boric acid use is preferable to using things like Diflucan for a couple of reasons: using anything that directly kills off yeast also eventally selects for med resistant yeast strains. The more Diflucan you use, the stronger you're making the few surving little buggers. Eventually, Diflucan will have very limited efficacy if you keep using it long-term. Yes, it does work for some, but not all. It stopped working for me a long time ago - after I tried taking it for months on end. I prefer taking things that don't try to kill the yeast directly, but rather make the area a poor environment for them. That way, you don't select for mutant med resistant strains quite so quickly.

The other reason that I stopped using Diflucan is that it's rather hard on your liver. Even though the boric acid is inserted into your vagina - it doesn't get into your organs readily. In the long-run, it just seems less toxic and more effective. Just be smart about how you use it, if you decide to use it. Don't use it on open wounds, don't swollow it, don't use more than you need, etc.

I'm not saying that boric acid is the only effective treatment, I'm just trying to mention some of the things that I've learned. Tea trea oil is great! I'd forgotten about that... Garlic also is good against the yeast - you can eat it or rinse with it. And for me, avoiding sugary foods is essential (and really hard to do - I have a killer sweet tooth!).

I hope some of that helps.

Lena

Last edited by AbleLena; 11-11-2003 at 11:55 AM.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #11

ker1079 HB User
This all helps very much. What is subclinical yeast? Could this be what we all have? Why doesn't it show up on cultures? Very weird......Well I already purchased the boric acid, and for them to make it for you it was NOT cheap. They thought I was going to mess up and overdose so they made it for me. Another question, WHY US?? What is making us more vulnerable to this infection? I have been tested diabeties and hiv and they are not the underlying causes, what else could be? Could it be nothing? Hmmm, could be the twix I just ate. Just wondering if we are more immune deficient since we can't fight the yeast off... IT all just really Sucks!
Ok enough of that, hopefully boric acid is the key. Thanks again, I am trying to remain positive. There has got to be a cure! I just know it! We shall see.......I will keep you guys posted.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #12

AbleLena HB User
ker1079,

You have some really good questions - why do we have to deal with this non stop? I seem to have neutral pH, instead of having the pH 5 I'm supposed to have. I think that's why I'm so prone to the problems. And I eat too much sugar. I try to control my pH and my sugar-cravings, and that's what works best for me.

BTW, subclinical refers to when you have the problem, but the symptoms are not yet apparent. For me, it meant that I didn't really feel like I had a yeast infection, but I got really irritated during sex, and sex was usually painful as a result. I just always had a very minor yeast problem, one that was too minor to create a culture from, probably because the yeast were inside the tissue. Remember, yeast grow in weird ways - they can invade tissue, but it's very difficult to detect. Having a subclinical infection also meant that it was ready to turn into a full-blown infection at the drop of a hat. Or, the drop of a cookie... to be more accurate. If I ate desert a couple of days in a row - I would without fail end up with a yeast infection later the week. After taking the boric acid, the residual infection went away, and I stopped getting irritated and painful during sex. Halleluia! And now I can eat sweets without an immediate repercussion, too.

I've got my fingers crossed for you, ker1079. I hope you find something that works.Best of luck to you. Lena

Old 11-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #13

ker1079 HB User
Thank you Lena!
O.K. well then it may be subclinical, (barley there), and it is probably due to the medications I have already taken to treat it. My skin is not irritated at all it just itches and the discharge is non-stop.It is good to talk to someone who has experience with this sort of thing. The doctors only know what they learned, and have not had true experience with this sort of problem. It is sad....
I guess sugar could make me more prone, and yes I love sugar, but no more than the next girl. Just one more thing, how long do you think It will take for the boric acid to relieve symptoms (if it is effective). ? (please god make boric acid work)

Old 11-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Hey girls- -

I know what you're going through, i 've been through the yeast hell and back too. I agree, I don't think Dr's have figured yeast out yet.

Last yr I was suffering, really suffering bad with a condition called vulvodynia. It started with the mother of all yeast infections. I have always been prone to them, as some of us are, unfortunately. I went to at least 4 or 5 gyns, to only be told, "no, you don't have yeast", over and over. Finally I found a great uro-gyn, and indeed i had an overgrowth of candida albicans and a resistent yeast called glabrata. (the pain was unbearable) It took 3 months of treatment to get rid of that demon!

Able Lena, you are SO RIGHT about the sugar connection. It seems I have the yeast under control now, (I hope), and I don't keep any high sug foods around my house. But every now and then when we go out to dinner, I allow myself a little cake or dessert, and guess what? I see yeast the next day, and have the itchies again! And I do think it's easier to get it under control when I attack as soon as I see it. Usually now, I take Nizoral, (oral antifungal I have leftover from before) for a couple of nights and also insert a 3 nite suppository, OTC from drug store, and it usually works. Then I'll be fine, but every time I eat a dessert, it rears it's ugly head again. I'm sick of it too!! I guess it's no sug for me, ya know? It's just NOT worth it, at all.

Good luck w/ the boric acid suppositories. I never really stayed on them long enough to see if they work, but I know that in studies they've done, they are about 80% effective, even for resistant yeast, and that's pretty darn good!

Keep us posted...we are pulling for you.
Deda

Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #15

ker1079 HB User
You guys are awsome... it really helps me to talk to people who understand. Well I am on the boric acid now and it tingled a little bit, but overall was not bothersome. I am also taking some probiotic pills. Am cutting down on the sugar too. Actually, this is my first encounter with a YI,and it is like the YI from hell. I do think it may have something to do with the sugar because I got this problem when I started drinking alcohol on the weekends. (Always in a relationship before and never drank). Now I drink ( too much, weekends only) and have developed this problem. So I am gonna take it easy this weekend, and see how it goes.

Closed Thread