It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Cool Leaking Fluid after D&C - is this normal?

I had a hysteroscopy, D&C and balloon ablation on 11/03/03 and the bleeding/cramps stopped after a few days, so I figured everything was fine. Two days ago I was sitting in a long meeting and finally had a chance to stand up after about 2 1/2 hours - when I did, I felt like I had wet my pants - and I mean really bad! Thank goodness I was wearing black pants with a long shirt so no one could really tell. The rest of the day, yesterday and today I've been "leaking" a clear fluid (and, no, it's not urine!). Is this normal after the procedures I've had done? Is it normal to not start until a week after the surgery? Also, for the past two days I've had 2 or 3 clots throughout the day - they show up on toilet paper or in the toilet - they're bright red and about the size of a dime or nickel. I do have some cramping - nothing extreme - just moderate period cramps, but I'm not having my period - the cramping started about the time the fluid started.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced these symptoms and if they're just a normal part of recovery after the surgery.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tina

Old 11-13-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Tina,

What can you tell me about the balloon ablation? I really want a hysterectomy and can't get one. I am thinking that maybe ablation will be a better option to beg for.

I had the D&C and hysteroscopy about a month before you. My bleeding came back right about the time that the pain went away. I kinda knew that meant that the D&C didn't work for me. I kept calling and they told me I was having my period. Silly nurse - I had just had everything scraped out 24 hours before! I ended up severely anemic because they didn't take it seriously. If you feel like something is really wrong, keep calling and keep good notes.

As for the fluid, I am guessing that is from the ablation. It kinda burns your uterine lining, right? So, think of any burns you have ever seen. They get kinda clear/shiny/gray on the edges. The more serious ones kinda leak a little fluid. I had that kind of leaking after my LEEP which electrically burns the cervix. And, the cervix is smaller than the entire uterus. So, you could probably expect more fluid than us LEEP girls.

Just a theory. Does the post-op info about ablations talk about this? I know it lasts up to a month with the LEEPs.

Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Nik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Hi Nik:

I'm not sure how much I can tell you about the ablation, except that you're right - it is the burning of the lining of the uterus. I had it done because I had abnormal bleeding in between periods and very heavy/clotty periods. Because I won't be having any more children, my doctor recommended the ablation to basically erradicate my periods (fine with me!). She said it would give me the benefits of menopause without all the hormonal nightmares (I guess I still get to look forward to that!). If I remember right, you are still in your 20's, right? If so, I can understand why you're having a hard time getting anyone to agree to a hysterectomy. You may face the same challenge with the ablation because pregnancy is highly unlikely, but also very dangerous if it does happen. Not knowing your personal life, I'm not sure if you're planning to every have a baby and having suffered for so long with the bleeding you may be so desperate you may feel you don't care what sacrifice you have to make - you just want the bleeding fixed! But, I would caution you - even at 41, I thought long and hard about the ablation when they told me I would not be able to get pregnant again. Even though my husband and I had already decided not to have any more kids, it's one thing to say "I've decided not to" and another thing to face "I now can't have any more kids because of what I've done to my body." I really struggled with the ole "you can't turn back now" thing. But, I made the decision and am now fine with it. I would have been a horrible parent in my twenties and had my daughter when I was 37 - your life and your philosophies can change so much in your thirties that I would caution you about doing anything permanent to your body. But at the same time, I know how miserable it can be to suffer with no answers! I wish I could be more help!!!!! Are you still bleeding? What is your doctor saying now?

Thanks so much for your comments on the fluid. Duh! I didn't even think about the burning aspect - that's probably what it's from. I haven't called my doctor - I typically don't until pain becomes unbearable which is not the case right now. I'm sure it's just my bodies way of healing after the burning. I'm getting those stabbing vaginal pains again though and no one has ever been able to really explain those to me - do you ever get those? Do you know what causes them?

Thanks again for your help! Hang in there - there is an answer somewhere!!!!

Tina

Old 11-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Tina,

Thanks for the good advice. I am now thinking about ablation because I may have an easier time convincing a doctor. I have read that it is only good for ten years and then everything can start to return to normal. No guarantees, but it may reassure my doctors. A woman your age won't be able to have kids for sure, but someone my age (26) may be able to much later. So, it's not like removing the uterus where all options are gone - except for the ovaries if they still work.

I am almost positive that I don't want my own children. I would be a terrible mother right now and my lifestyle is not very kid friendly. I am an outdoor enthusiast and am trying to become an outdoor instructor once I am well enough. Things may change one day, but I doubt it. I have always been a big believer in adoption. If I am fit enough to be a mom, I will be fit enough to adopt. And, I know getting an infant is tough, but getting a child isn't that tough. There are tons of special needs kids that need love. I plan on working with special needs teens in the outdoors and that will show me how strong I really am.

Yes, I am still bleeding. You will see that I have posted the problem once again to see if any new members have any ideas, because seven doctors have run out of ideas. It is so terribly frustrating. It has made me severely anemic which makes things even worse. Even without the anemia, on two hormone pills a day, I am still bleeding heavily and passing big clots. You can say goodbye to those soon. For me, though, the blood ends up sneaking out and all over my clothes and chairs. Because it comes out so quick, it can't be contained. That would make even a desk job difficult since I can stay clean!

I still can't see how doctors can say no to a hysterectomy if it means saving my quality of life. If I was your age, they would have done one long ago because that is the cure for dysfunctional bleeding that doesn't respond to hormones. This has been going on daily since June, but it started even earlier than that. It is more than just bothersome. It is painful and it is debilitating. I know, I don't need to convince you. And, there is no chance of me making babies since I can't leave my house to meet their father.

And, I was getting those pains for awhile. It felt like someone shoved a knife or a hot poker right up me. Sometimes more like a tack. I have no idea what causes it, but I can tell my anatomy has been checked and there's nothing physically wrong. I do hope your pains go away once the healing process is over. I know it is fast for the D&C, but I would guess that it is much longer for the ablation.

I am trying to be patient about this, but I am having trouble paying my bills and my insurance will run out in March. Plus, it's Christmas now and I don't have any way to buy gifts for my family. I know they won't mind, but it's the little things like that that make me feel as though I have lost my entire life to this silly bleeding.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Glad I could help you make sense of where the fluid comes from.

Nik

Old 11-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Nik:

I agree the ablation would be a better option for you - I didn't know that things start to go back to normal after 10 years - you're right - baby making won't be an option for me at that point! I can't believe 7 doctors have not been able to help you. What do they say is causing the bleeding? Have you talked to any of them about the ablation? I'm surprised they haven't mentioned it as an option. You are absolutely right - you have to look at your quality of life and do what's necessary to preserve it! I have found that doctors tend to be so scientific and that if lab reports and x-rays look "normal" then they think there is nothing wrong with you - they never seem to focus on how you feel or how certain symptoms might be disrupting your daily life. I'm going to try to remember to mention this to my doctor when I see her next week for my follow-up. I'm just going to ask her what things she would look at if this didn't work - maybe she can give me a perspective different from what you've been hearing. The doctor I was seeing (and had seen for years) told me my bleeding was normal and not to worry about it. When I told this new doctor about it, she immediately said, "No, that is not normal and we have to fix it." It amazes me how two doctors can have completely different opinions on the same issue! Where abouts do you live? Are there any top-notch medical facilities near you?

Don't give up - the answer is out there! Your desire to work with special needs teens is wonderful! I have a passion for abused/neglected children and wish I could adopt every single one of them. My dream is to at the very least build a large "home" where many of them could at least know what it feels like to live in a stable, loving home. But - I'm drifting off of women's health issues - I should never get started on children in need - I could go on all day!

I will keep my eyes and ears open on this subject and will let you know if I learn anything new. Keep me posted on how you're doing!

Tina

Old 11-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #6

becky1954 HB User
Hi Tina

I had a D&C and a Leep done 2 weeks ago. At first I just had a little bloody discharge. Then about 4 or 5 days into my recovery I started what looked like a regular period and I have been menopausal for 2 years. It finally quit after 2 weeks. I also have those stabbing pains and there has been no cause for them.

Becky

Closed Thread