It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #1

vegangal2000 HB User
Always cold

Hi, I am always cold and just can't seem to get warm. If I do get warm, it goes away very quickly.
Today I was folding clothes and got warm for a bit, then as soon as I sat down at the computer within less than 5 minutes, I am so cold again.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?
I called my doctor and am just waiting for them to call back to see if they want to see me.

Thanks for anyones help.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Always cold

You may be anemic (iron deficient). If it's not 80 degrees, inside or out, I'm freezing! Go to your physician and have them perform an iron test. I'm SUPPOSED to be taking iron pills, but I've stopped because they constipate me . It's a pain, but I've learned to just carry a jacket or sweater with me everywhere I go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #3
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Being cold is one of the many symptoms of having a thyroid disorder. You may want to look at the thyroid board and see if you have any of the other symptoms. Anemia is also a reason for being cold. It sounds like some blood tests are in order.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

are you thin for your frame and height?

do you exercise and drink a lot of water? it could be a blood circulation issue, and if so, these things help. also, as someone mentioned, it could be an iron deficiency, but i wouldn't even worry about that unless you're given reason to. see what your doctor has to say, and stay active.

i find when i'm eating healthier (fewer refined foods, etc.) and my metabolism is quicker as a result, my circulation is also better and i don't get as cold.

i'm vegan too, btw.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran

strand3d HB User

I'm always cold and i'm perfectly healthy, its just the way my body is. I'm thin and tall so it makes sense. Frequently if i get cold my fingers and toes turn white, but my doctors haven't said there's a problem with it. It's just my body. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #6

kixlonron89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand3d
I'm always cold and i'm perfectly healthy, its just the way my body is. I'm thin and tall so it makes sense. Frequently if i get cold my fingers and toes turn white, but my doctors haven't said there's a problem with it. It's just my body. I really wouldn't worry about it.
I was exactly like you and ended up being dx with an underactive thyroid. Of course now after children I am no longer skinny, but I still have an underactive thyroid. It wouldn't hurt to have the blood work done just to be on the safe side. I remember when I was thin and cold that that was the reason for being cold and it turned out not to be.

Old 11-24-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My mother was always cold, yet she had a healthy lifestyle and didn't have any other health issues which could be attributed to this. She believes it's due to having had pneumonia a few years ago and she feels that since then she's always felt cold.

Her doctor found she had bad circulation and put her on some medication for a short while. She also had some acupuncture too and now she's so much better, which is a relief for me as she was always at me to put on extra clothes when i'd visit b/c she thought that if she was freezing then everybody else had to be too!!

Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 AM   #8

vegangal2000 HB User

That is the problem that I have with my kids is that I tend to over dress them. My poor son, who is 21 months was wearing a coat that looked like we lived up in the mountains with snow all year long! I finally down graded his coat to a less bulky one, he is much happier!!

I do drink alot of water and hot tea ( to try and keep warm ), but I do not excercise as much as I need to. In fact, not at all! I know that is awful, but I have a daycare and two kids of my own and I homeschool my oldest daughter. I know that is no excuse at all. I could easily find 30 minutes plus to go out and take a brisk walk. But, I have gotten so lazy and set in my not exercising ways.

But, I will give an update after I go and see my herbalist. My doctor does not seem to concerned about me freezing all the time, so I will not push the blood work on her. I may have to go in for some blood work for next week anyways, and if I do, I could have her check for other problems at that time.

The herbalist that I am going to go see can do muscle testing, not quite sure what that is, but I am convinced that she can give me something that will help get my hands warm.

Thanks to everyone who replied and I will be back with an update on Tuesday afternoon.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Pam

Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 AM   #9
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

You should really get your thyroid tested. I used to be always cold. In the winter I would drink several cups of herbal caffiene free tea to warm me up, (7 or 8 cups a day). I would dress in layers, wear socks in my house (all year long), I would take several baths a day to get warm and then in the evening after my bath I would wear a turtleneck and wear the heaviest pjs I could find and wrap myself in 3 or 4 blankets to keep warm. I dreaded the winter for this reason. I was always told by my friends and fiance that "you have bad circulation". Well finally this year I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. I am now taking a med called Armour Thyroid (a natural med) and now I can sleep with one blanket and a tank top on. I only drink 3 or 4 cups a tea a week. I don't have to take a million baths to warm up. That wasn't my only symptom, but you must remember that it isn't "normal" to be cold all of the time. Your body is trying to tell you something. Listen to it. Enjoy your holiday!

Old 11-25-2003, 11:55 AM   #10

vegangal2000 HB User

Girlygirly, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my posts! I know that I need to be checked out, but when they do a physical can't they tell if your thyroid is off by checking your glands?
My doctor was not in this week, so it was a sub. If they won't do the testings, should I just find another doctor for this one occassion. I really like my doctor and don't want to switch over entirely.
My urine is dark yellow too. Don't know if I mentioned that in my last post, but that has been recently. I keep getting told that is because I am not drinking enough water. I've never drank the proper amount and that has never happened before!
I am also being told bad circulation, anemia, anyones guess is as good as mine at this point!
But, I know that being cold all the time is not a normal thing. I have not always been cold and so this a new thing for me and it's not normal for me.
The only time I am warm is when I am flying through the grocery trying to get all the groceries for Thanksgiving and home to get my ds to bed. But, as soon as I got home and sat down for 5 minutes on the computer, my hands are freezing again.
Anyways, it's a mystery to me right now, but I want to get to the bottom of it.
Thanks again and thanks for listening! I was not going to get back on my computer until next week, but I had some free time right now and decided to check in.

Pam

Old 11-26-2003, 06:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand3d

HI there

I too suffer from turning cold really quickly. Even on a warm or hot day it can happen if i as much as touch something cold or cool. My fingers go totally numb and white and take quite a while to go back to normal.

My doctor put it down to Reynauds syndrome. It can be hereditry or acquired. It was acquired for me by using a keyboard and pushing a pen too much. I reduced the amount of time on keyboard to no more than 2 hours a day and i am much improved although i still get cold toes (they turn purple then white !!!! ). Try not to expose yourself to extremes of temperatures, eg if you are freezing cold then dont jump into a hot bath. I also found stretching exercises helped..... nothing strenuous but just limbering up really.

Hope the above helps

Ktee

Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI everyone

I too have had problems with being cold. But I remember this going back to childhood. I did get my thyroid tested and it came back normal. I do take iron supplements, yes they constipate but I take Fibercon to offset that. I too am thin and small boned.

It got to the point where i moved from the northeast where i grew up to the sunny southwest. After a few moves I ended up in sunny southern Arizona where it is 110 degrees for almost half the year. I CRAVE sunlight like some people crave food or drugs. In winter, it is cold at night but perfect by day. I find I do better in places where it is warm and sunny. More then cold weather, I can't take the cloudy drizzly days. I always suspected a mold sensitivity.

I do not live in the southwest now, I am in the southeast and the weather is still pretty agreeable. I do not know if I could ever live in the northeast again , the cold coastal weather was so tough. I joined a gym and discovered the sauna. I love the dry heat and can sit in it without sweating for like 10 minutes. I usually stay in about 20 minutes. it feels so good it brings my body temp up. I have a low body temp and low blood pressure. I also get colds very easily. I read that saunas are good for boosting your immune system since it forces your body into a low grade fever which kills off bacteria and viruses.

Stay warm and sit in the sun whenever you can!!

Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

hi again

today was a cold day rainy chilly gray. I was chilled all morning. I finally put on my knit hat meant for outside and wore it around the house all day. It warmed me up and i could feel it holding in the body heat. Maybe some of us just loose our body heat too quick or something.

Just an idea. . . happy holiday

Old 11-28-2003, 06:24 AM   #14
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

A physical can not determine if you have a thyroid problem, unless you have an obvious enlarged thyroid. You will need bloodwork. A Free T3 and a Free T4 test, TSH, and a thyroid antibodies test are what you should ask for.

To the last poster who wears a hat in the house, there is something physically wrong with you if you "lose heat" so easily. You should see a doctor. Also a thyroid can change so taking a one set of labs does not mean that you won't ever have a thyroid problem. Also "normal" tests can miss alot of people with low thyroid function. It would be wise to learn about low thyroid function and see if you have other symptoms.

Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #15
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirly
A physical can not determine if you have a thyroid problem, unless you have an obvious enlarged thyroid. You will need bloodwork. A Free T3 and a Free T4 test, TSH, and a thyroid antibodies test are what you should ask for.

To the last poster who wears a hat in the house, there is something physically wrong with you if you "lose heat" so easily. You should see a doctor. Also a thyroid can change so taking a one set of labs does not mean that you won't ever have a thyroid problem. Also "normal" tests can miss alot of people with low thyroid function. It would be wise to learn about low thyroid function and see if you have other symptoms.
I agree, you shouldn't have to wear a winter hat in the house to stay warm. I'm often cold when I shouldn't be, and I've been recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I never would have known if I hadn't decided to donate blood to the red cross & got rejected because my iron level was too low. My thyroid is fine though. But, if you are cold often, you should mention this to your doctor...it could be something, or it could be nothing. Good luck.

Closed Thread