It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 12:07 AM   #1

jenny benny HB User
Question sharp pain in left breast...comes and goes

The last couple of days I have been experiencing sporatic surges of pain in my left breast. The pain is almost like a slow ache that lasts about 5 seconds or so and then disappears. It comes about every minute or so. Very strange. It's not period related tenderness or anything as such.....has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If it persists I am considering visiting my doctor, but was curious about other women's experiences with this strange phenomenon. Any othe r victims?

Old 12-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #2

ChestOut HB User
Re: sharp pain in left breast...comes and goes

Jenny Benny,

I have a number of answers. Need more details on your pain tho.

However, instead of posting, Jenny Benny please get to the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny benny
The last couple of days I have been experiencing sporatic surges of pain in my left breast. The pain is almost like a slow ache that lasts about 5 seconds or so and then disappears. It comes about every minute or so. Very strange. It's not period related tenderness or anything as such.....has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If it persists I am considering visiting my doctor, but was curious about other women's experiences with this strange phenomenon. Any othe r victims?
H=Happens

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

What you described is similar to what i get once in a while. Does the pain get worse when you try to breath in? mine does and i have to stop breathing for a few seconds and then it goes away. I have seen the doctor and in my case it wasn't something serious. I believe they just described it something along the lines of a surge of blood on it's way to the heart.

Your case could be different, so always consult a doctor.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:34 AM   #4

Moni HB User

I too am experiencing this. Talked about it at my last annual, ordered a diagnostic mamogram. Nothing turned up and they told me to check back with my doctor. However, my pap showed "atypical squamous cells of undetermined origin", wonder if there could be any connection? Even though they assured me that no pre-cancerous cells showed up, I am SOOOO scared. Anyone have any thought on any of this???
thanks,
Moni

Old 12-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #5

Moni HB User

[QUOTE=ChestOut]Jenny Benny,

I have a number of answers. Need more details on your pain tho.

Please tell.....
Moni

Old 12-07-2003, 10:39 PM   #6

jenny benny HB User

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input thus far. I fear I'm not sure how else to further describe it. I haven't noticed a change when breathing...but it has disappeared for the time being. I am interested in hearing what some possibilities might be...as Chestout had mentioned knowing a few. The best I can describe it as is a slow ache for a few seconds that feels deep, not near the surface...its possible its related to the heart but i feel its coming more from the sensitive nerves of the breast....not sure...now im rambling. let me know if you think of any possibilites.. thanks for the help.

Old 12-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #7

lamby-pie HB User

I had this, too! Went for an echocardiogram & mammogram, all was fine. I was finally diagnosed with GERT, simply put, heartburn. It was stomach acid causing the pain.
My doctor said if your pain is crushing, like an elephant on your chest, the problem is more than likely your heart. If the pain is sharp like a knife, it is more than likely GERT.
I quit eating before bed time, started wearing looser pants (so the stomach acid doesn't get pushed up my esophgus), and staying upright after eating. Also took antacids as needed and I feel better.
Just a note that heartburn can lead to Barrett's esphogus, a cancerous condition. It killed my uncle, no joke.

The Following User Says Thank You to lamby-pie For This Useful Post:
mihaela1 (10-01-2012)
Old 12-14-2003, 06:26 AM   #8
(female)

HvnsAngel HB User

Hi:

I have the same thing. Mine is on the left side of my left breast. My gyn did some tests and just blamed it on my hormones and cysts. She suggested I take Evening Primrose Oil tablets. I did and the pain went away. Since then I have stopped taking them and the pain is back. It is only a very days a month I feel it. Good Luck.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:33 AM   #9

ChestOut HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny benny
Hey guys,
Thanks for the input thus far. I fear I'm not sure how else to further describe it. I haven't noticed a change when breathing...but it has disappeared for the time being. I am interested in hearing what some possibilities might be...as Chestout had mentioned knowing a few. The best I can describe it as is a slow ache for a few seconds that feels deep, not near the surface...its possible its related to the heart but i feel its coming more from the sensitive nerves of the breast....not sure...now im rambling. let me know if you think of any possibilites.. thanks for the help.
Sorry for my late response . . . depending on description of pain. For details (keep a journal it helps me).

Possiblities (just trying to help) either:

1. GERD or

2. Costochrondritis i.e Slipping Rib Syndrome or

3. fibrocystic - pertaining to the breast or

4. angina - this may be dismissed or verified by ECG etc.

I do hope I have helped in some way.
H=Happens

Old 12-15-2003, 05:34 PM   #10

MiffyBunny HB User

Hey, I had this until recently but strangely, the pain moves to other parts of the abdomen. It started with the pain on the left side of my breast and then it moved to the right side of abdomen.

It lasted quite a lot, around 2 weeks and now it's finally gone.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
(female)

pickle HB User

Well I have had the same experiances but for me it's a healing process, afew years ago when I was 15 I had breast surgery for a benign tumor. I felt and ever so often still fell those pain but I've never felt them before. I sugest going to the doctors. These days you never know what it could be.

Closed Thread