It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

lori g HB User
Question Abnormal pap smear question

Hello all,
I have had endo for many years now and have been on lupron for treatment after my lap. I did not do well on lupron and now on birthcontrol, not much help but I've learned to deal with the endo. 2 wks ago I went in for my 3month doctor check up and pap smear. I got called back that there were some abnormalties with my pap and I have to go back this Monday for a biopsy. My question is, if the endo may be getting worst could that be cause the abnormal pap smear? I have had endo for a long time but through out the years my paps have always come back normal, they hurt like hell but always normal till now. If anyone knows anything that may help me, share with me please!
Thanks!!
Laura

Old 12-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: Abnormal pap smear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori g
Hello all,
I have had endo for many years now and have been on lupron for treatment after my lap. I did not do well on lupron and now on birthcontrol, not much help but I've learned to deal with the endo. 2 wks ago I went in for my 3month doctor check up and pap smear. I got called back that there were some abnormalties with my pap and I have to go back this Monday for a biopsy. My question is, if the endo may be getting worst could that be cause the abnormal pap smear? I have had endo for a long time but through out the years my paps have always come back normal, they hurt like hell but always normal till now. If anyone knows anything that may help me, share with me please!
Thanks!!
Laura

I do believe that Endometriosis can affect a pap. You can go to the internet and punch in "Endometriosis" and read about it and you will probably be able to find that out. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

If you have sex that night before having a pap, it could show up abnormal. Perhaps this is what happened to you.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Why does your doctor want to right away do a biopsy just for one abnormal test?? Honest to God. Do you know that standard procedure for an abnormal pap is simply a retest in three months as most will come back normal the second time around? It never ceases to amaze me the number of doctors who put the fear of death into these girls at the word 'biopsy' when it's totally unnecessary. One abnormal pap can be from ANYthing, and does not warrant any kind of biopsy until a second one also comes back abnormal. My daughter's doctor did this to her too, and she was upset until I told her 'You tell your doctor she can recheck you in three months and you'll worry about it then'. Her doctor didn't like that so my daughter left and found herself another doctor who wasn't so eager to cut. Guess what her second pap test came back as? Normal. Her two best friends both had their paps come back abnormal. They waited too. They're both fine. Did you know that having a pap too close to your period can come back abnormal? You really don't need to have this done, but so many patients don't realize they can simply tell their doctor no. That's your right. You have every right in the world to tell your doctor you'd rather wait and have a retest in three months. And then in three months you go back and have another one and I'm pretty sure it will be just fine. It's really up to you what you do, but why on earth would you want to put yourself through something like that, especially when it's not needed? Go back in March and don't worry about it.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #5
(female)

lori g HB User

Good morning and thanks for the post, I have researched everything about endo for years and have not found much info about paps and endo, I don't have sex when I know that I'm have a test done because I know that it does alter the results, and I have not had a period since April because of lupron. I think the reason my doctor is so quick to want to do a biopsy is because of my history of pcos and endo. The truth is that I just would not feel comfortable if he didn't want to look into it right away. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that everything turns out ok just like you say Kellie
Thanks for all your responses!!!

Old 12-29-2003, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

I agree with kelly. I'd suggest a retest before a biopsy. You can get a retest right away without having to wait the 3 months. Having one abnormal pap is a pretty common thing. It usually doesn't warrant a biopsy until a confirmation retest.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
(female)

lori g HB User

Hey everyone, I thought I'd give an update on my abnormal pap, I did go ahead with the biopsy and it turned out to be abnormal also. In fact the level of abnormal was pretty high, so now I'm scheduled for a cone biopsy surgery in two wks. After I read everyones post I began to feel that maybe I had made the wrong desicion by going ahead and giving permission for the biopsy but now I'm glad that I did. I just wonder that even if sometimes it doesn't always seem nessesary your doctor knows what best for you. Maybe its not always a bad thing to go ahead with what the doctor suggest, even if it does seem a bit too soon. Just a thought. Thanks again for all your input!

Old 01-08-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Hi Lori,

I am glad you did what was right for you. It is good that you are getting this taken care of. I know, personally, how stressful this can be. Even though it is precancerous, the word "cancer" is still in there and there are so many other emotional issues and what if's with this condition. Plus, oftentimes, we feel totally normal and healthy when this hits.

Because of all of that, I though I would guide you over the the Cancer: Breast cervical and Ovarian board. There are tons of posts there about dysplasia. The cone isn't as common, but there are posts about it, too.

Nicole

Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
Mara

nevermind...

Last edited by Gemi; 02-27-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Closed Thread