It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Alarmed about long periods? Need Input!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
dedare
(female)

dedare HB User
Exclamation Alarmed about long periods? Need Input!

Hi, I'm new here and hope that some of you can help ease my mind as I am somewhat of a major panic. I am perimenapausal as I have just turned 51 but have not stopped having my periods. I had been having some problems with heavy bleeding and back in Oct. after 6 days of it landed in emergency and was declared anemic. My 2 periods since then have bad some heavy bleeding but not much but each time after my period seem to end, roughly 7 days, I then continue with a different type of bleeding as well as cramps. It is a lighter colored bleeding and definately a lighter flow, one pad a day certainly covers it. The cramping and everything feels the same as the regular part of my period. This lasts sometimes several weeks and then suddenly stops and I will then get my next period about 14 days later. I had a sonogram in Dec. and the first tech said it looked like a had a polyp but asked me to drink water and fill my bladder for another look. A different tech did the 2nd one and basically freaked out and said my lining was too thick. She scared me half to death! Now I have a biopsy scheduled for the 20th. I am a nervous wreck worrying about this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone else experienced this lighter colored bleeding after their period was supposed over? Any thoughts, ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: Alarmed about long periods? Need Input!

Try and calm down, chances are it's just the havoc being played on you during the perimenopause. Hormones flunctuate during this time and even though the lining may be thick, it doesn't mean that there is something terribly wrong.

I've had several biopsies...no picnic, it's just a pinch but it's over before you can blink twice. I also had a polyp which caused very heavy bleeding a few years ago. Had a D&C to remove it and the diagnosis was benign with many new polyps forming. The D&C was no big deal, and I still have heavy periods; moreso some months than others, but just lay it to the fact that menopause is just around the corner...I hope!

I'm 48 and still as regular as clockwork and can't wait until this is overwith. Best thing for you to do is to see your doctor on a regular basis and follow his recommendations.

Try not to worry, I'm sure it's just part of this phase we all go through. Good luck and think positive!

Last edited by Dianek; 01-11-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Kaycee41
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Re: Alarmed about long periods? Need Input!

I'm in my 40's also and have been having weird periods for years. A few years ago a gyno told me my uterus was enlarged. Had a biopsy and it came back negative. He also told me I had a thick lining. Guess this just comes with age. My periods were getting so heavy that, for several days a month, it was hard to leave the house because I would drop "clots" and bleed heavy (I have always had long periods - 7 days). I have never wanted to use birth control pills because I was afraid of the side-effects and health risks, even though several gyno's said that would help with the heavy periods. Finally, I gave in and decided to go on the pill (at age 43!!). Anyway, it has been wonderful! For the first time, I have light periods. I no longer have to worry that my period will fall on a day I have plans to do something. I still worry about the risks, but it's nice to have my life back!

Closed Thread