It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Too long??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
cheerguh2003

cheerguh2003 HB User
Red face Too long??

Ok your answer for this question will proably be well smaller tampons but just answer my question please!!Ok i have the super tampons right now and cant get to a store for a couple days but my period is not heavy enough to fill up the whole thing and i heard you are suppose to take out after 8 hours but can i leave it in longer until i think its filled?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #2
erikaw
(female)

erikaw HB User
Re: Too long??

I wouldn't...I don't think it's safe to leave them in longer than 8 hours....read the info in the box about TSS. You don't want that!

Old 01-12-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
cheerguh2003

cheerguh2003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikaw
I wouldn't...I don't think it's safe to leave them in longer than 8 hours....read the info in the box about TSS. You don't want that!
Yes i know but what i was looking at is whats the problem because after 8 your just putting a new one in so its no different...i thought the 8 hours was for the absorbancy

Old 01-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
erikaw
(female)

erikaw HB User

I always thought you weren't supposed to wear them for more than 8 hours a day...

Old 01-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
kimzi81
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerguh2003
Yes i know but what i was looking at is whats the problem because after 8 your just putting a new one in so its no different...i thought the 8 hours was for the absorbancy
The reason why you change tampons is because after you leave it in for more than 8 hours, the bacteria starts to build up on the tampons. Toxic shock syndrome can result when a certain bacteria builds up. It can also cause infections of other kinds. Technically though, these are very rare, and my doctor has told me that 12 hours is the maximum that you can leave a tampon on for, not 8. But why take the risk?

Old 01-12-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
cheerguh2003

cheerguh2003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzi81
The reason why you change tampons is because after you leave it in for more than 8 hours, the bacteria starts to build up on the tampons. Toxic shock syndrome can result when a certain bacteria builds up. It can also cause infections of other kinds. Technically though, these are very rare, and my doctor has told me that 12 hours is the maximum that you can leave a tampon on for, not 8. But why take the risk?
Oh ok.So no longer than 12?

Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
chickadee99

chickadee99 HB User

I talked to a friend not long ago who said that she sometimes leaves tampons in for longer than 8 hours, because she uses them while sleeping. Her husband told her that they probably put up to 8 hours on the box because, like with other things, they just want to say the minumum amount of time so people won't leave it in longer than is safe. I hope that made sense. I understood what she meant, but I still don't think it's good or safe to do that. It says that on the box for a reason. It's not like they didn't do any research on it. That reminds me of something else. I know of someone who actually keeps butter out of the refrigerator-ALL the time. She never puts it in the refrigerator, except when she buys it I guess. "But what's the point?", I asked my mom. Just go ahead and put the butter directly in the pantry if you leave it out anyway. Bacteria grows on certain kinds of food when it has been sitting out. And bacteria grows on the tampon when it is kept in. The butter says it needs to be refrigerated, and the tampon says up to 8 hours.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
cheerguh2003

cheerguh2003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee99
I talked to a friend not long ago who said that she sometimes leaves tampons in for longer than 8 hours, because she uses them while sleeping. Her husband told her that they probably put up to 8 hours on the box because, like with other things, they just want to say the minumum amount of time so people won't leave it in longer than is safe. I hope that made sense. I understood what she meant, but I still don't think it's good or safe to do that. It says that on the box for a reason. It's not like they didn't do any research on it. That reminds me of something else. I know of someone who actually keeps butter out of the refrigerator-ALL the time. She never puts it in the refrigerator, except when she buys it I guess. "But what's the point?", I asked my mom. Just go ahead and put the butter directly in the pantry if you leave it out anyway. Bacteria grows on certain kinds of food when it has been sitting out. And bacteria grows on the tampon when it is kept in. The butter says it needs to be refrigerated, and the tampon says up to 8 hours.
Ok thanks but i still need an answer on no longer than 12?

Old 01-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

I always left mine in for 12 hours but I wore regulars.

no more than 12 hrs is what dr's will tell you.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #10
cheerguh2003

cheerguh2003 HB User

Oh ok thanks an you didnt have any problems with them?

Old 01-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

nope...
wore them that way from the time i was 14 thru 23 when I got pregnant 8 months ago =)

But again.. I didnt wear super ones I wore regulars and slims and never went over 12 hours at a time.

I also had a very light peroid and would not fill the tampon up.

Closed Thread