It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

finally had hyst for endo

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
aph1102

aph1102 HB User
finally had hyst for endo

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let everyone who I've talked to through the months know that I finally had a hysterectomy. I was supposed to have a LAVH but they ended up having to do it abdominally. Overall wasn't as bad as I expected. I feel better already. The cramping and back pain are gone. I also had my ovaries removed and haven't started HRT yet but I haven't had any symptoms of menopause so far. I'm glad I made this decision. When I woke up in the hospital (thinking I was having it done laparascopically) the 6" incision was quite a surprise and the pain was unbelievable but I survived the first 3 days in the hospital and now that I'm home I feel much more relaxed. Still on pain meds and antibiotics but other than that things are great. Just wanted to let those of you who helped me the past months know that I'm doing great and thank you so much for all your support. Hope all you other endo girls out there are soon to be pain free whether through a hyst or drugs or whatever works for you. Well the pain meds are making me loopy so I better go before I start talking about things. Good luck to you all.
Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
mallika

mallika HB User
Re: Friends what u suggest??Hyst is the BEST n permanent CURE of Endo??PLZ reply????

Happy to hear u feeling much better after hyst.PLZ keep posting what u feel with the time coz my 26yrs old daughter who had a leporoscopy(spell)6months ago and now all the symptoms r back.Her gyne told her its up to her to have hyst or lepo surgery again.She is scared after effects of HYST.PLZ keep in touch about ur side effects with hyst.She has a 4yrs boy and not intrested in hyst but if after having another lepo surgeryit will come back ' its better to have hyst.PLZ friends guide her what to decide.Her pelvic and back pain is unbareable sometimes.What u sugesst for her in her young age.......???Do u think HYST is the BEST and permanent CURE of Endo????plz reply.It would be great HELP....THANX.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
TragicQueen

TragicQueen HB User
Re: finally had hyst for endo

congratulations, im glad you're feeling better.
I just got diagnosed with endo a few months ago and im on lupron.
I'm only 23 and i have 1 kid and i want more, but they're telling me if this lupron doesnt work and i cant get pregnant again its either live with excruciating pain or get a hysterectomy and iim so scared.
was that the run-on sentence from hell or what?

Old 01-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
PaNik5717
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Hi Ashley,

I have been following your other posts and I know this has been rough, but it will get better. I go in on the 9th and I hope you are feeling much better by then.

TragicQueen, welcome to the group. I'm not an official member since I don't have endo, but I am on Lupron and I am having my hyst soon. I am 26, so just a little older than you two, but still very young and I don't have any kids.

Mallika, I just thought I would offer a little insight. The hyst itself is not a final cure for endo. Your daughter would have to have her ovaries removed too, because the endo can live all over inside even without the uterus. It is a very big step for a girl our age to have her ovaries removed because they interact with so many other body processes. She will go into menopause as soon as she has the surgery. Her heart and her bones will be at risk just like a menopausal woman and her moods will probably be out of control. Some girls do go through it and they try to go on hormone replacement therapy, but the endo may grow back even with the HRT. I hope you can encourage your daughter to get on-line and do some of the research for herself. Tell her to search for "hyster support" and she should find a lot of info.

Nicole

Old 01-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
TragicQueen

TragicQueen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNik5717
Hi Ashley,

I have been following your other posts and I know this has been rough, but it will get better. I go in on the 9th and I hope you are feeling much better by then.

TragicQueen, welcome to the group. I'm not an official member since I don't have endo, but I am on Lupron and I am having my hyst soon. I am 26, so just a little older than you two, but still very young and I don't have any kids.

Mallika, I just thought I would offer a little insight. The hyst itself is not a final cure for endo. Your daughter would have to have her ovaries removed too, because the endo can live all over inside even without the uterus. It is a very big step for a girl our age to have her ovaries removed because they interact with so many other body processes. She will go into menopause as soon as she has the surgery. Her heart and her bones will be at risk just like a menopausal woman and her moods will probably be out of control. Some girls do go through it and they try to go on hormone replacement therapy, but the endo may grow back even with the HRT. I hope you can encourage your daughter to get on-line and do some of the research for herself. Tell her to search for "hyster support" and she should find a lot of info.

Nicole
thanks for the welcome. My name is Molly. So is the lupron not helping you?
what have your experiences with lupron? I've been having a really hard time with the side-effects so far. My doctor just prescribed norethindrone to help lessen them. Do you take that too? Sorry to be so nosy, but I really need to get real people's experiences. Research on the internet hasn't been helpful so far.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
PaNik5717
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Actually, the Lupron has done it's job for me and I haven't needed any add-back therapy. If it wasn't going to be out of my system in a few weeks, I might ask for it now, but I can tolerate a few more weeks. I am on it because of excessive bleeding and suspected adeno. For either of those things, the Lupron is only a temporary fix to help prepare a weakened system for surgery. As soon as it is gone, my doc expects me to start bleeding again. She only had me on it to shrink the adeno if it is there so I won't bleed a lot during my surgery and to stop my bleeding so that I could build up enough blood to have the surgery without transfusions.

The first month I was on it, I continued to bleed and I had some nausea and maybe some hairloss. The second month, it slowed to spotting and I started having dizziness with activity, but not the total nausea. This month, I am not bleeding at all. I am starting to have trouble sleeping and my body is very achy. Like I said though, it isn't anything intolerable and it will all be over soon.

If you do the same search I recommended, the first site you will find will have a ton of info for you.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
aph1102

aph1102 HB User
Smile Re: finally had hyst for endo

Almost 3 weeks post op and still feeling ok. I've had a battle with crying spells but other than that it's been alright. Still hurting but slowing getting better.

Molly- I think everyone's experience with lupron is different. I only had 2 shots and I had horrible side effects so they didn't help me at all. I also tried continuos birth control and other various treatments but nothing was helping. I'm 24 and don't have any kids but I've known from a young age that I wanted to adopt so that wasn't a problem for me. Now the only thing I'm worried about is the HRT. Good luck with your lupron experience. Not all are bad.

Mallika- A hyst doesn't cure endo. If she wants more children I would suggest she exhaust all other options. When I was diagnosed with endo I went and got a second opinion. After I tried alot of other treatments I still went to a reproductive endocrinologist (they tend to know more about endo then a regular gyn) and she also suggested the hyst in my situation. Being 24 and going through menapause is no fun thing so make sure your daughter knows all the risks. I also had my ovaries removed but haven't started HRT yet because they want to give the rest of the endo on my bladder and bowel a chance to die off so I should start in another week or so. So far only hot flashes and night sweats have bothered me. I'm a moody person anyway so everyone around me are used to the mood swings I'll keep you posted on the rest of my healing process though so if she does choose the hyst she can have some support online as well.

PaNik- Hey. How are you feeling lately? Did you survive your ticket incident after the last lupron shot. You poor thing. How are you having your hyst done? I wish I wouldn't have had to have mine abdominally but oh well. I'll wear my battle wound well. I never realized how much you use your ab muscles for EVERYTHING. I can't move without something pulling or aching. Anyway, keep us posted on how you're doing. I'm sure I'll talk to ya before the 9th, but if not good luck and everything will be fine. You'll be a princess

talk to everyone later
Ashley

Closed Thread