It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Missed period on Pill- Neg tests- Moved to Women's Health Issues

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
GreenIslonglegz

GreenIslonglegz HB User
How early can you detect pregnancy?

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I am currently taking Loestrin 30 and have done for over a year now with no problems. The month just gone I missed a period. (I took all the pills correctly) I took a test a couple days before I was due to start the next months pack of pills, as it says you should consult doctor/take test to rule out the possibility of pregnancy before you take the next months pills
The home test I did was negative. I understand how the tests work in regards to they measure whether the HCG hormone is present. I made an appointment with my doctor to be sure. She said that this is something that can happen while taking the pill (missing a period) and said that the test I took should've have shown it by now.
But later on she said that the tests can take a reading 14 days from conception. It wasn't until after the appoinment I realised that I had conflicting statements which has still left me confused and concerned. I am going to take another test tonight to be sure as it will be 14 days from when my partner and I last had intercourse before my period was due. If nothing turns up in this one should I take further tests? What did my doctor mean?
She also said that I may have spotting throughout this months pack of pills and that I may still not get a period at next months break. Or it could just go back to normal. Does this happening mean that taking the pill has finally wrecked my body? I am due to stop taking the pill as soon as I run out of them which will be in three months time, but all this has made me think I'll give up before then.
Please if anyone has anymore info I would appreciate the peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
LiLnuTTy
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
Re: How early can you detect pregnancy?

I dont think the pills will "ruin your body " . I would have your doctor do a blood test, if you are concerned about pregnancy, before starting your next pack of pills. A blood test is accurate only 7 days after intercourse....unlike a HPT, which ( most of the time ) is only accurate after a missed period. Unless you are like me and can take it after only a couple weeks, and show up positive, i guess i just had alot of the hormone already...but since yours showed negative, if you are really concerned about being pregnant, i would ask for a blood test, for sure.
Ive never heard of anyone missing their period, while on these pills , ( doesnt mean its not possible )especially after taking them for a year with no problems at all......seems kinda funny that all of a sudden you would just miss a period.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
GreenIslonglegz

GreenIslonglegz HB User

I have already started the next months pills (as instructed by my doc to do so) all fine so far no spotting. I did have the slightest spotting if you could class it as that as it really was so light prob not worth mentioning in the week I should have had a period.(lasted about 2 days on and off) The whole time I had cramping like I was about to come one but nothing? It does state in the info in the pack of my pills that this can happen. But I too found it odd how it could just happen out of the blue after taking it with no problems for over a year. I have since heard of other ppl having this happen (no one I know - on websites). Also I have noticed that since I first started taking the pill my periods have been lasting longer and getting lighter almost with each passing month. I mentioned this to the doc who didn't seem too worried about it. She did say when I asked if this happening means that I am any less protected that I am probably more protected as the hormone levels must be high to do this to me.

I took a Predictor test which is supposed to take 99% accurate readings from as early as your period is due and can be taken at any time of the day. I was just confused that my doc one minute said that it would've/should've shown by now (she did NOT know when the last time we had intercourse was) so this is what confused me when she later went on to say that home pregnancy tests can take a reliable reading 14 days from conception (she did NOT know that I had taken a Predictor test).

I just would like to have some idea of where to go from here in regards to if it is negative again (which is what I am hoping) then I just have to wait around and hope next month I get a period. I wanted to see if I could find out beforehand so if it was a result I didn't want I could start to take steps sooner rather than later. I suppose if don't get a period next month I can get a blood test done - ( I had no idea they could tell that way? thanx4info) i guess that's all I can do.

I just wondered how the doc could say it would've shown up by now if they can only read from 14 days after conception? My period was due on the Wed/Thurs (clockwork on the pill always between these 2 days) Finished taking the previous months pills on the Monday(last had intercourse on the Sunday evening so surely I would count it 14 days from the Sunday evening before doing a test??
I took the first test on the Saturday after not having anything but the extremely mild spotting late Fri. it was negative saw the doc following Mon eve so as to know if I should take the next months pills that I was due to take on the Tuesday.
My workings make it (to be sure) tonight that I should do another test from what the doc said I think this covers me, as it 14 days from when I last had intercourse before my last period was due. Any ideas here?

Last edited by GreenIslonglegz; 01-19-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Ash16

Ash16 HB User

All i know is i do not recommend taking birth control. (neither the pills nor the shots or anything else.) No one i know has had a good experience with birth control. My cousin Roni was getting the shot... it's been 2 years since she quit taking the shots and she has yet to get her period back. She was told she may never be able to have children. This is all because of the shot. I was on Ortho-cyclen (for my really bad periods) and within 3 months... i nearly died from a DVT. Mind you, i was only 14 years old. Ever since the pill... i have had 4 DVT's...and its only been a lil over 2 years! One of my closest friends (she's 28) also got a DVT in her lungs (my first was in my leg...from my hip to my knee)... And hers was also caused because of the pill. My mother was on the pill and her period completely stopped...she has yet to get that back after 3 years. Thank God she is done having kids! Alot of my friends have been on the pill but they have also had alot of health probs since then. The pill can definatly destroy your health (not to mention your chances of having kids!) I would think twice before taking the pill or any kinda of BC. I didn't mean to offend anyone by this post either. This is just my opinion along with some experiences.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
april_dawn

april_dawn HB User

Well, I've been on various bc for a year and a half, and I've suffered very few adverse effects. I was on the Depo shot for a year, it was wonderful, I never worried about being pregnant, My only complaint is that while I was working a fairly strenuous job involving much moving around, I had heavy spotting all the time. The pill also seems to have been working fairly well, although I do stress out once in awhile about missing a pill and getting pregnant. Not a huge deal, as my boyfriend and I are in a fairly commited relationship, but still scary. Birth control works differently for everyone, and I would definatly trust either the pill or the shot before i went with an IUD or a diapghram. My mother had a terrible experience with an IUD, and I won't do that. Right after my brother was born (much too soon after) her doctor fitted her with a new IUD, and after 6 months of complete pain and agony, her doctor finally did some tests and found she had contracted chlymidia, most likely from some equipment not properly sterilized. Anyways, everything works different for other people, I definatly recomend some kind of birthcontrol method, aside from condoms and spermicide.

April

Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
GreenIslonglegz

GreenIslonglegz HB User

Well I took the test and it was negative again. I will now just have to wait 2wks til my break fromt he pills and see. Seems typical that I knew I wanted to come off of it when I had finished all the pills which would've been in 3 months time and then it does this just before.
I expect now that my periods when I come off of the pill will be even more irregular, if they are coming down from what my doc said was a high hormone level to have stopped my periods while taking it.

When I came off the pill the first time-because it made me feel nauseous( I was taking Ovranette) I was 4 weeks late. I didn't know this could happen on the pill. I had read that your periods could be messed up for up to a year after taking the injection so this is why I chose the pill over it and the fact that u'd still have periods on the pill and so know where you are-(yeah right that seems to have gone out the window!)
This of course was an extremely worrying time. I took a test then too and a visit to the docs. They have since changed the information leaflet inside the packs to mention this happening. If I was prepared for it then it wouldn't have caused so much worry for me and my partner. Grr!

Old 01-20-2004, 03:46 AM   #7
LiLnuTTy
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

Everyone is different, and it sounds like it pretty much stayed in the family with your issues, Ash16, maybe it was something in the genetics...who knows. Its a very wise decision to take BC...esp if you are single, and sexually active. Too many "babies" having babies out there. I have known many many people who have had no problem conceiving after taking the pill, for years infact. But I have also heard of couples trying to have a baby for years and years with no luck, who have never been on any form on BC... and i can honestly say, ive never heard of anyone having problems like you say youre family/friends have had....until now. Yes, there are risks, but they are few and far between, and the chances of a teenager getting pregnant, are far more than her catching some sort of disease from being on BC.
Besides, the pamphlets ( and your doc should ) let you know about the risks, so they should ahve known about the risks before...and could have stopped taking them at any time.

Closed Thread