It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Symptoms of what?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
April99

April99 HB User
Symptoms of what?

I'm 19 years old and I have been suffering from acne, extremely oily skin, excessive sweating and abnormal body hair for several years. Could these be symptoms of a more serious condition? I have the acne and the sweating under control. I haven't been to a doctor, because I feel embarrased talking about these things, and I never thought that they could do anything about the hair and the oil. I don't want to go on birth control pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
KimRick
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Symptoms of what?

It could be hormonal - too much or too little. I would go to a doctor - you'll never know unless you go!

Old 01-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: Symptoms of what?

For one thing, I'm sure it's not a serious condition. Many women have excess body hair..sometimes it's just plain old heredity.

As far as the oily skin, just learn to live with it. I'm 48 and still have as oily a skin as I had at 15...but I look years younger so I'm not about to complain how oily I am anymore. But I know, it is bothersome when you are as young as you are right now.

If your periods are irregular, you could possibly have polycystic ovaries..a BENIGN condition. I had this, myself, at one time. I did have two pregnancies, so I was not infertile as some information that is out there would have you believe. You just have to know when you ovulate, that's all.

As far as going to the doctor, don't worry about it. They've heard it all, and I truly mean that. They are there to help you, not judge you or make you feel awkward.

If it makes you feel any better, your symptoms are not as uncommon as you might think. I say go to the doctor if only to set your mind at ease.

Closed Thread