It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive

hwbe HB User
Hormone pills and weight gain

I was prescribed hormone pills (oestrogens) to start my periods. Information sheet of them mentions altered weight among side effects. I think I've read somewhere that oestrogens may cause weight gain. Does anyone know if that is common and I'm really likely to gain weight or that's just one of those side effects that usually don't happen?
Thank you for your replies!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #2

angelkitty081 HB User
Re: Hormone pills and weight gain

I am not sure which one you are on but I took prometrium (which is progesterone) once to start mine and I definatley gained weight. As soon as I came off of it I lost it all though

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Inactive

hwbe HB User

I'm taking Cyclo-Progynova, I think it doesn't contain progesterone. Half pills (11) contain estradiol valerate, the other half - estradiol valerate and norgestrel. I have no clue what it is but that's what's written on the box. The doctor said it's with oestrogenes. I was prescribed something with progesterone for 10 days before, it's not written that it contains it, but that it's for progesterone defficiency. I didn't gain weight, but it didn't start my periods either.

How much weight did you gain due to prometrium? i just don't know if i should be worried about my pills...

By the way does periods have something to do with weight? I haven't had mine for over half a year, I think it's because I've lost about 30 lbs quite fast (due to physical activity) and I'm not gaining it back, though I'm not on diet, eat quite much and don't do sports (I used to gain weight before).

Old 01-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #4

angelkitty081 HB User

I gained like nine pounds when I took prometrium for twelve days. I only weigh 117 but it really bothered me. But it went away as soon as I stopped taking it. I wouldn't worry to much about it. How long do you have to take it?

Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
Inactive

hwbe HB User

i have to take it for 21 days! and if periods start i have to take one more package for another 21 days.. it's really long period of time so i started to worry that if i gain weight i may gain too much... it's 3rd day today and i haven't noticed any weight changes yet. and i really hope i won't notice it..

Closed Thread