It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

My friend needs help! She hasn't had her period in a year!!! omg...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
annonymousgirl

annonymousgirl HB User
My friend needs help! She hasn't had her period in a year!!! omg...

Hello,
My friend started her period about 3 years ago, but it was really irregular, like she only got it once every few months or something..Anyways, now, it's been about a year since she had a period.... Is that bad?? I mean, what can cause this?? What's making this happen??? I mean, is it life threatening?? I really want to help her but I don't know how... I would really appreciate it if there was someone who can relate to her, or like a medical physician who can make a partial diagnosis.... Cause she can't go to the doctor........Please help...thank you!

Sincerely,
annonymousgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
serenity111
Inactive

serenity111 HB User
Re: My friend needs help! She hasn't had her period in a year!!! omg...

i dont know how old she is, but sometimes when you first (supposidly) start your period, it can start, then stop----and start again later on. usually if you experience it the first few times it is extremely light, and may just be spotting. your body getting ready to start! like i said, i dont know how old she is, but usually this can happen, with very young girls----age 9-12. then they may actually start when they are 13. i realy dont think this is anything to worry about! but if she is worried, cant she talk to her mom?

Old 01-19-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
angelkitty081

angelkitty081 HB User

Is your friend on birth control? A lot of young girls, or women for that matter, get on birth control just to regulate their periods. If your friend is young she should speak with her mother about this and have them go to the doctor together to talk about it. You didn't say why she couldn't go to the doctor... Keep us posted.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
annonymousgirl

annonymousgirl HB User

Well, she said she couldn't go to the doctor cause her parents couldn't afford it then..... I think.. Or they can't schedule one right at the moment. And she is older than that. She's almost 15...And she's had her period for like 3 years, but then just the past year it's like stopped. I do not think she's on birth control, and she's scared to talk to her mom about it, since she's waited so long. But yesterday she told her mom a little bit about it, not the whole story, anyways, that's when her mom said she couldn't go to the doctor right now, and that they would ask about it on her next check up thingy... But see, that might be a while, and I think that if she can get help, she should get it soon.. YOu know??

Old 01-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
angelkitty081

angelkitty081 HB User

I think she'll be fine. She should just go in to the doc with her mom and try to get on BC. It really helps to regulate periods. I'm not sure where you are but there are Planned Parenthood Clinics where she could go in by herself w/o her mom to get some, if she's afraid to ask her mom. I'm sure if they went in to the doc together and had the doc explain her mom would understand. I wish I didn't have a period for a year! LOL -Good Luck

Last edited by angelkitty081; 01-20-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
cawicker

cawicker HB User

Your friend might be afraid to talk to her Mom about the situation - afraid that the doctor might tell her Mom if she's sexually active. You should reassure your friend that the doctor is very unlikely to disclose that kind of information to her parents.

If your friend feels she can't talk to her Mom about this, maybe the school nurse could help. Although it's probably illegal these days, a school nurse took me to Planned Parenthood when I was 16 to get the pill. Although the nurse probably wouldn't do that, she would certainly be knowledgeable about the reasons your friend isn't menstruating.

Not having her period could be a sign of something more serious, like a result of anorexia or a hormonal disorder. She should be seeing a OB/GYN anyway for her annual PAP smears, especially if she's sexually active.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
girlygirly
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Not having your period could be a sign of a thyroid disorder. Her mom should get her to the doctor PRONTO. That is pure neglect to ignore her symptoms.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
annonymousgirl

annonymousgirl HB User

Well, she had sex one time.. That's what she told me... (GOSH!!!) I still can't get over that.. But anyways.. It's been like almost a year since she had sex so I know she's not pregnant (lol) but could she have an STD that causes her to not have her period???

Closed Thread