It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

The Patch

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
Vivian
(female)

Vivian HB User
Question The Patch

I just started using the patch for the first time. If I wasn't on the patch, my next period should start on 2/20. That would also be the date that I take the third patch off. I am leaving for vacation on the 20th. Is there a way to either get my period to start sooner or later then it is supposed to? Is manipulation of the patch dates O.K.? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
missymouse

missymouse HB User
Re: The Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian
I just started using the patch for the first time. If I wasn't on the patch, my next period should start on 2/20. That would also be the date that I take the third patch off. I am leaving for vacation on the 20th. Is there a way to either get my period to start sooner or later then it is supposed to? Is manipulation of the patch dates O.K.? Thanks for any advice.

Removing your patch sooner is asking for trouble. However I am on the patch and have succesfully put off my off week several times with no ill effects. When week 4 rolls around, take off your old one and put on a new one. There is a slight chance for some breakthrough bleeding during that week, but it's never happened to me, I don't know how commom it is. I had to wear a patch for 4 weeks straight so that I wouldn't get my period on my honeymoon! Have fun on vacation!

Old 01-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Vivian
(female)

Vivian HB User

I have another question. I was supposed to get me period on Saturday (I spotted on Thurdsay and Friday--that's my clue). So I put the patch on Saturday morning expecting to get my regular period, but all day Saturday and today my period hasn't started, but has just spotted some dark blood all day. Is this normal for the first time using the patch? Should I keep it on?

Old 01-25-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
missymouse

missymouse HB User

Let me just make sure that I understand. This past week was your week off? And Saturday is the day that you use as your patch change day? So you went through the entire week 4 but your period never came? If this is the case then you're most likely ok. While your body is adjusting to the patch you can expect to have your periods a little "funky" (highly technical word ) for a few months. After 2 or 3 months your body should develop a somewhat consistant pattern for your off week. I have had my period start anywhere from 3 to 6 days after removing my old patch. So if this is the case, yes leave it on. As long as you don't miss two periods in a row on the patch you should be just fine.

If I am not understanding and you have not actually applied your first patch before Saturday than that's a whole different can of worms. If that is the case than I'd assume you were wanting to do the first day of your period start? Putting the patch on should not have an immediate effect on your period. IF your body was planning on starting Saturday it would have, regardless of applying the patch- it doesn't release the hormones fast enough to stop your period that very day. There are any number of things that could have caused your period to delay for a couple of days, but as far as I am aware the patch should not have any effect that quickly. I would caution you though, that since the patch was not applied on your first day it would be wise to use a back up form of contraception for at least a week. The information packet that comes in the box says that a first day start must be applied within 24 hours of the first day of your period. Since that doesn't seem to have happened, I would most definately use backup cotraception for at least a week. I however don't know the consequences of applying the patch more than 24 hours Before you begin your period so if that is the case maybe you should call up your doctor or pharmacist just for piece of mind.

By the way, there has been many a time when I reached me patch change day but was still having bleeding. This is normal and if this occurs you should still apply your patch on your regular patch change day. You should never go more than 7- 24hour days without a patch on. If this occurs than your protection is compromised and you must use a back up form of contraception for the first week of your cycle.

I hope this all makes sense and helps your peace of mind. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I will answer them as well as I can.

Closed Thread