It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

No Period, on BCP...any info?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
jamahsan

jamahsan HB User
Question No Period, on BCP...any info?

Hi,

I'm new to these boards.

I was curious if this has happened to anyone else?

I have been on the pill for 11 years, and Ortho-novum for 6 years. I have always been VERY regular, and my periods lasted 3 days.

Well, I had my last period August 2003. I was in a car accident in August (nothing serious), but it did cause quite a bit of anxiety and stress. Although the stress and anxiety has subsided, my period is gone. I do go through normal PMS and light cramping when my period is supposed to be, then that's it.

I went to my doctor, and she said that it is common for some women to stop having their periods while they are on the pill. Well I have looked online and have not found any information about this... (doesn't seem common). She said I will probably never have my period again while on the pill. She joked that I was one of the lucky ones, and will save $$ on tampons.

I am just curious if any of you have heard of this, if any of you are going through the same thing, or have any info?

Thanks so much, sorry for the length.

Take Care,
Jamah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
jamahsan

jamahsan HB User
Smile Re: No Period, on BCP...any info?

Bump =)

Does anyone have any information?

Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #3
moonlitday

moonlitday HB User
Re: No Period, on BCP...any info?

I don't know. I know before I was on bcp mine was extremly irregular..I never knew when I was going to have my period and I could easily go a couple months without. I do notice that when I'm stressed it's different, but I"ve not heard of never having a period while on bcp...but I suppose it's possible.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
jamahsan

jamahsan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitday
I don't know. I know before I was on bcp mine was extremly irregular..I never knew when I was going to have my period and I could easily go a couple months without. I do notice that when I'm stressed it's different, but I"ve not heard of never having a period while on bcp...but I suppose it's possible.
Thanks for the reply moonlight. My period was irregular as well before I started the pill, my mom put me on the pill when I was 15, I'm 26 now.

It just seems very strange to me that I would have a normal period every month for 3 days the last 11 years.... then it abruptly just ending in August. I think I will go get a second opinion, even though I do trust my doctor.

Why would I have cramps, and PMS, then no bleeding? If my period stopped, shouldn't I not have the other symtoms? When I had the depo shot years ago, I had no period, and no symtoms of a period the entire time. My doctor compared what I am going through now to depo.

Anyhow thanks for the reply.

Jamah

Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
girlygirly
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

You may want to have your thyroid tested as it regulates hormones. Your menstrual cycle could become irregular if you are hyper thyroid or hypo thyroid. You should also have your adrenals tested as this is the gland that can be severely compromised when someone is under alot of stress. Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
leeintx

leeintx HB User

jamahsan...i have had the same thing done to me i was on alesse bc pills for a year and this last june 2003 was my last period and then in nov. i went to the dr and he put me on provera and still no period and plus he took me off the bc pill during this time 5 months no period and then the dr told me to start my bc back without a period well i knew that wasnt right so i took it upon myself to stay off the pills till i started and then in dec. 2003 i started and then i started my bc pills back and i am due for a period this month jan. and so far no period. b c pills does have a lot to do with our peroids. but you should be ok cause b c pills will stop a period...my dr aslo told me that i was lucky? go figure?

Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
eliza-may

eliza-may HB User

hi,
I,m 36 and haven't had a period for 7yrs.I was on Depo injection for the first 4yrs but i'm now on the mini pill.I've had test but they came back clear,my doctor just says its the pill.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:19 AM   #8
eliza-may

eliza-may HB User

[QUOTE=eliza-may]hi,
I,m 36 and haven't had a period for 7yrs.I was on Depo injection for the first 4yrs but i'm now on the mini pill.I had test for thyriod,pituary gland test and a scan they found cysts on each ovary but when i went back they'ed gone.My doctor even put me on hrt.After all this time his says it the pill.

Closed Thread