It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #1

wcollins HB User
female odor

For about eight months now, I have been battling an vaginal odor. I have gone to my ob/gyn on three different occassions. She tells me it is bacterial vaginosis and gives me Flagyl to take. This last time Iwent to her she gave me a 7 day round of Cleocin suppositories and 14 days of Flagyl to take. None of this has gotten rid of the smell. It goes away for a period of time and then comes back again. I decided to seek a second opinion from my family doctor. She stated it was bacterial vaginosis and gave me Flagyl again. It is still here. I read on the internet that an iodine douche might help the problem. I have tried that as well. This smell is really starting to take a toll on me mentally. I cannot get rid of the discharge or the smell. I am frustrated with the doctors and don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please feel free. I will just about try anything.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:11 PM   #2

zebra1 HB User
Re: female odor

If your vulva smells fishy, it is almost certain that you have 'bacterial vaginosis' (also known as 'anaerobic vaginosis'). This is an imbalance in the bacteria in the vagina. All women have harmless bacteria in their vaginal passage. In bacterial vaginosis, some of the bacteria multiply so that more are present than is normal (it's usually the Gardnerella and Mobiluncus bacteria that are the culprits). In other words, bacterial vaginosis is not an infection caught from your partner, it is due to bacteria that are normally present in the vagina.Check these out.Anti-biotics can be prescribed.Also , you might try a bath with half a cup baking soda and a half cup epsom salts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #3

LynM HB User

Hi, I, too had a chronic problem with an odor and a discharge that had gone on for months(years?) till I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and treated with Metrogel ( an antibiotic vaginal gel ). It always seems to come back more, or less unless I stay on Vitamin C on a regular basis. (500mg. timed release) Seems to be because bacteria don't grow well in an acidic environment and vitamin C acidifies the tissues to some extent. Even my internist agreed with that!! worth a try since it's cheap, and many of us don't get enough C anyway...
LynM.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:43 PM   #4

zebra1 HB User

Try P'au D'arco,look it up on the net,lots of info.It helps with candida and other vaginal imbalances.Either drink as a tea or take a tincture of it.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #5

wcollins HB User

Thank you for the advice from all of you. I actually went back to the doctor to seek another opinion from another ob/gyn yesterday. She has put me on metrogel and after five days of use, I start to use relegard. Has anyone heard of this? She said it was supposed to balance out my ph level. I will also look up p'au d'arco on the net as well. Thanks for all of the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynM
Hi, I, too had a chronic problem with an odor and a discharge that had gone on for months(years?) till I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and treated with Metrogel ( an antibiotic vaginal gel ). It always seems to come back more, or less unless I stay on Vitamin C on a regular basis. (500mg. timed release) Seems to be because bacteria don't grow well in an acidic environment and vitamin C acidifies the tissues to some extent. Even my internist agreed with that!! worth a try since it's cheap, and many of us don't get enough C anyway...
LynM.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #6

moonlitday HB User

Zebra1 and LynM both gave good tips that worked for me. Vitamin C and a bath every couple of days with baking soda/epsom salts has helped me tremendously with my battle with odor. I swear by this now

Closed Thread