It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

I really need your opinion in this one...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
brendiqueen

brendiqueen HB User
Question I really need your opinion in this one...

I've been on Orthotryciclen for almost 4 years now, last Sunday (25) I went to get my monthly refill since I am a Sunday Starter... I was told that for the first time in 17 years there is now a GENERIC brand for OTC so they automatically gave it to me because of the $$ I can save.. I was very confused and ask the pharmacist several times whether or not it was safe for me to take the generic he said that is just fine since it has the same formula/strenght and everything, so I took it.. I was just wanting to know what you guys think, is it OK to take a generic? Or should I switch back to the BRAND?
Thanks in advance...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
luv2sing
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User
Re: I really need your opinion in this one...

I have been taking the generic of my pill for almost a year since my insurance won't cover the name brand of the one I take-only the generic(but it will cover other name brands-whatever!!) But before I had insurance, my name brand cost $30 and generic cost $25. My doctor told me that it was fine. Although I recently read that generic birth control pills were not recommended because they are not as strong(??) which I don't understand because when you get things like penicillin and get generic, you are always cured of whatever you needed it for. Like I said, I have been taking generic and have had no problems. And my gyno knows that children are out of the question for me, so if there was a risk of failure on generic, I know he would not ok it,ya know? Heck, if it saves ya $$ and it's the same, I say why not? The pill is so expensive...although cheaper than having a baby!!

Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
supertrooper
Veteran

supertrooper HB User

I'm always willing to TRY the generic for a medication. Since you know how your body feels using the brand name drug, you can watch for signs that things aren't the same. If you aren't satisfied that there isn't a difference, have your M.D. write a new prescription stating "No generic". That will get you past SOME health insurance plans that charge a higher copay for the brand name.

The only time the generic hasn't worked for me is with pain killers like Percoset or Vicodin. To me they don't work nearly as well.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Lindarella
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

A generic drug is called by its chemical name and a brand-name drug is given a name by the manufacturer Ė but the active ingredients are the same. Aspirin is still aspirin no matter if itís called aspirin, Bayer, Excedrin, or salicylic acid, itís all aspirin.

Newer drugs are protected by patents and are supplied by only one company. When the patent expires, other manufacturers can produce its generic version.

It's not like buying generic food or products where the quality may be lower than a brand name.

Closed Thread