It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

ADVICE PLEASE: I have been unfairly struck offmy doctors list for asking for

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
MsCeeKay

MsCeeKay HB User
Red face ADVICE PLEASE: I have been unfairly struck offmy doctors list for asking for

please find below the letter i have written to my General Medical Council

To Whom It May Concern,
************ ****** ****** I have been suffering from thrush since Thursday morning and had used some creams to relieve the pain and itchiness.
On Saturday the condition became over whelming so I decided to go to my doctors. Unfortunately my preferred Doctor was not there so I had to see Dr V Trehan, which I always dislike because I always feel very unsatisfied with him.
I explained to him that I have thrush and he asked me "Why do you think you have thrush?" So I explained the symptoms to him. He laughed and said "Well, it might not be thrush you could have an infection I am not going to give you treatment today you will have to make an appointment to see the nurse and get swabs taken, when they are taken then you will get the necessary treatment" I said to him "I understand what you are saying but I do not have an infection I had a swab recently and have been given the all-clear, I know what thrush is because I am a bad sufferer of it, it runs in my family all my sisters are sufferers too" He said "I WILL NOT BE CHANGING MY MIND, YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH TESTS IN ORDER TO GET TREATMENT" I left the doctors room and complained to the receptionist, she said she cannot do anything because the doctors word is final, I would have to make a complaint to the manager of the doctors. I explained to her that I am in awful pain right now and i desperately need the treatment, I would've paid for it but I do not have any money until Tuesday, She gave me the practice managers details and told me to write in. I spoke to the pharmacist who accepted that it was unfair and the receptionist is the only person that can speak to the doctor on my behalf. I went back to the receptionist who followed me into the doctors room. She told him i was in pain and will I be given treatment he replied "No" I asked him "why?" and he continued to say he was sticking to his guns and I must leave the surgery before he calls the police. I told him he can call the police and i will explain the unfair situation to them. I then said I will be contacting the General Medical Council, this made Dr Trehan go back into the doctors office type me out a prescription for Clotrimazole then he stated "You can complain about me to the General Medical Council but because of that threat you are now struck off the doctors list, I am the main partner at this surgery so you will have to find yourself another doctors" I replied to him "That is very unfair, I am in great pain and all i wanted was thrush treatment now you are striking me off the list? I have not used threatening behaviour or language, I have done nothing wrong all I wanted was the correct treatment. I took the prescription and left the doctors surgery. I have used the Clotrimazole Cream and I feel extremely relieved.
I would like some advice on whether Dr Trehan can treat me so unfairly.
I have a witness that was with me at the doctors surgery. my husband was with me the whole time so he is my witness.
Thank you for taking the time out to read my correspondence any replies will be useful.

FACTS:
The British Medical Association’s (BMA) General Practitioners Committee* (GPC) provides guidance regarding removing a patient from the list.* It states: ‘… The decision to remove a patient from the list should only be made after careful consideration and not in the heat of the moment …* The GPC recommends that when GPs send the request to the health authority … they should also normally send a letter to the patient informing them of the removal and briefly outlining the reasons.’

You must do your best to establish and maintain a relationship of trust with your patients. Rarely, there may be circumstances in which you find it necessary to end a professional relationship with a patient. You must be satisfied your decision is fair and …* you must be prepared to justify your decision if called on to do so.’

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Post Re: ADVICE PLEASE: I have been unfairly struck offmy doctors list for asking for

Seeing as you did get a prescription from this wacko-so-called-doctor and are somewhat more comfortable, I wonder why you are even upset you are knocked off their list. Why would you want to be associated with quacks like that in the first place?

You surely have good reason and legitimate grounds to voice a complaint against this medical group; but I'd certainly ask some friends for a good reference to a doctor who is more humane than the creep you went to.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
MsCeeKay

MsCeeKay HB User
Re: ADVICE PLEASE: I have been unfairly struck offmy doctors list for asking for

Hi Diane, thanks for your reply, the reason why i'm so bothered about being struck off the list is because my favourite doctor works at the surgery, he as been my doctor for the last few years and in my opinion the best doctor in my area.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Nash-t
Inactive

Nash-t HB User
Re: ADVICE PLEASE: I have been unfairly struck offmy doctors list for asking for

I certainly don't blame you at all for not wanting to see that qucko Dr, but you might take into concideration that most Dr's, and offices kinda work in conjuction with one another???so becareful as to what you say if the Dr's are limited where you live?....just get well should be your main concern!
Godd Luck!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
Dawnrise
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

Maybe you could call your normal doctor and explain to him what happened so maybe he could get you off the list. Worth a try.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
pjchik
(female)

pjchik HB User

Wow. And I thought my doctor was a jerk. I don't know how medical practices work where you are, but does the doc you like have any other offices? (You know, one day-one office or certain hours everyday at X office?)

Old 02-09-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
MsCeeKay

MsCeeKay HB User

Hi guys, thanks for replying to my query, there is a lot of doctors surgeries in my area, so finding a surgery is not a problem, the problem is that i really like my regular GP as a doctor (he takes care f his patients to the best of his ability) I have not found another doctor like him, I will speak to him and see if there is a way this problem can be solved

Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
JenBrooke123

JenBrooke123 HB User

Oh I hate awful experiences like that. I would for sure try to get him in trouble for that terrible response, when someone is in that much pain they don't wait to do "tests" they do them right there! and not only that but he should have looked in your chart an seen that you were treated for this several times in the past. Heck I can call my doctor give her my symptoms and she will write me a perscription right then and there! why? because she took the time to know me and my history.

I would have just went to the ER and seeked treatment, telling them what has happend and how much pain you are in. Then I would have followed up with my regular doctor the next day.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
lgl73girl

lgl73girl HB User

I must ask...you did not make it clear as to whether you were already diagnosed with your other doctor as having this problem. If you weren't, then I could understand the doctors point of view. Also, a doctor can decide not to accept someone as their patient just as a patient can decide to not go to a doctor. Although, I would double check...cause I would say your regular doctor woudl make that decision..not someone filling in.

Closed Thread