It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Large clots during My Period.....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Question Large clots during My Period.....

Hi , for about 5 years now i've been getting clots during my period and lately there getting huge. Not to be gross but some of them are 1/2 the size of a full super size tampon..... yup it's gross and stressing me out (i know i should ask my doctor but it's a guy and ..........well i'm just not comfortable with him .It seems the worst my cramps are the bigger the clots are .Does anyone else get this and have any idea what it's from ?Or better yet how to stop them and the cramps ..........thanks for any advice in advance !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
debbiep
(female)

debbiep HB User
Re: Large clots during My Period.....

Hi there, you know I used to have this problem to and have never found out why or what was causing the clots and cramps. Ive since had a hysterectomy for other reasons so I dont experience this anymore but Im interested in any replies also. Plus just to let you know that your not alone in that problem,ex-problem for me. takecare debbiep.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I'm assuming from your user name that you are 42? I too have been having large clots, no cramps that I've noticed, but I also have IBS so my stomach is always in turmoil.
I quit taking the pill 2 months ago and now I haven't had my period. I am not pregnant, unless it was by alien intervention. Just joking about that! Anyway I am now having major hot flashes and my PCP gave me prescription for BCpills agin.
I think the clots , from what I've been told, are from the beginning of menopause. Although my FSH has always been way low! I am waiting for new test results. It could also be fibroids which I found out I have , after doing pelvic US last month.
Go to a female dr or nurse practioner and relay this info, are you up to date on your annual Paps? I refuse to believe that at 42 we are old. Or is that denial?
Take care,
B

Old 02-03-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

I have a problem with iron deficiency anemia. The more iron deficient I am the heavier my periods tend to be with more clotting--Eeewwwww!! According to my hematologist iron plays a role in the constriction of blood vessels thereby creating a viscious cycle with anemia.
Age also plays a factor here--I'm also in my forties.
Has your gyn run a full blood assay on you? You can be iron deficient without being anemic. In this case your doctor wil usually reccommend taking iron tablets to help raise your levels.
I switched to a female GYN last year. I'd always liked the guy I'd gone to for years but since I wasn't planning on any more children I thought maybe I'd feel more comfortable with a woman. What a difference!! It is SOOOOOO much easier to talk with her!! My previous office did ask why I was switching and I was honest--the nurse said "me too!" She'd also started going to a woman!! You have to be able to express your concerns or what's the point of going?? By all means either switch doctors or make an appt. to just discuss your concerns. I refuse to ask my questions while dressed in a paper gown!!

Old 02-03-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I too have a problem with my iron labs, either too high or too low.
I also prefer female for GYN but when I was having children I felt the male OB dr was more accepting of my problems. Can't think of the word, Oh yeah sympathetic!
Bonnie

Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi girls , the user name refers to my husband i'm only 32 !!But good advice from all . And i do have IBS (D) plus low iron so you never know mabye it's all connected .........but my darling mother hasn't even started her menophase yet so i'm ok about it for another 20 years i think (though truley it would be a releif not to have my period anymore ).!! (R)

Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #7
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh ya and 42 definatly is not old !! >...........Plus my paps are up to date !Finding a doctor here is impossible so i'm suck with mine ......for now.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Large clots during

OOps doubled up here

Last edited by engineer1961; 02-03-2004 at 06:38 PM.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #9
debbiep
(female)

debbiep HB User

Hi there again ,well after reading the replies so far ,Im too, always low on iron as Im a vegetarian..mmmm...maybe there is a connection there or maybe thats why we did clot . takecare debbiepx

Old 02-04-2004, 12:16 PM   #10
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's gotta the connection im a lacto vegetarian ........... U?

Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I'm not a vegetarian, in fact I love meat, usually chicken but I love prime rib!
Bonnie

Old 02-05-2004, 04:57 AM   #12
Dawnrise
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

For the longest time I always had clotting with my periods. Not huge, mind you. So, to me this was normal. But then in Dec. 2001 they started to get worse. Practically handfuls would come out. And I bled continually. Might have 2-3 good days a month where I wouldn't bleed. Never had any pain associated with it. Finally, after 1-1/2 years I decided on my gyno's advice to have a d&c, tubal ligation, hysteroscopy and balloon ablation. He had suspected cysts but when he got inside it turned out I had 2 fibroid tumors. He removed the one that was inside the uterus and left the one that is between the lining. Anyway, it was the best decision. I still get a period but it's practically non-existant. Very, very light.

Now, I'm not saying this is definately your problem but it's a possibility.

Last edited by Dawnrise; 02-05-2004 at 04:58 AM.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #13
engineer1961
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok, I'm going to call my Docctor and get him to get me in to a female Gyno , it may take a few months to get in but I guess it's the only smart choice my mother called me last night and when i told her about it she freaked because the same thing happened to her In her early 30s and it turned out to be ovarian cancer , my grandmother died of breast cancer so mom wasn't really talkative about it but i do know she didn't have to have a hysterectomy (Sp?).I'll write when i find out more ......yup i'm stressed now ;( .

Old 02-05-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

The way I understand it , the cancers like Breast, ovarian and yes even colon are all related. Meaning if you have a family history of one of those than you could get any one also.
B

Old 02-05-2004, 08:07 PM   #15
PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuneke
The way I understand it , the cancers like Breast, ovarian and yes even colon are all related. Meaning if you have a family history of one of those than you could get any one also.
B
Yep both my grandmothers died of cancer of the uterus(which is pretty rare! weird huh!), almost ever female on my mom's side has endometriosis/very painful, heavy periods. I've been no exception..genes play a huge part in it.
But yeah on blood clots. They can be dangerous in these you can get really anemic really fast. I used to get huge bad ones all the time and I was really anemic..I slept and slept and slept and everything made me tired. Then I got on the pill and while the clots aren't gone completely, their not as big and not as common. The pill helps a lot with that.

Closed Thread