It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Multiple Symptoms No Diagnosis PLEASE HELP

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Arms
(male)

Arms HB User
Exclamation Multiple Symptoms No Diagnosis PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone, I've been going out with my girlfriend for about 4 months now and I'm trying to find out what's wrong with her, because i'm worried. She's been to the doctor before but they just dismiss it and say it's normal but i don't think it is. She has multiple different symptoms and here they are:

1. headaches almost everyday
2. can get real dizzy around 1-3 times a week
3. has bad cramps, so she's on BC to help it
4. very intolerant to the cold, can be warm and step outside in cold and be shaking and ice cold in a matter of seconds

I've been trying to get her to go to the doctor for a few weeks now and try to convince them there is something wrong but she just doesn't have time and is pretty skeptical that they'll find anything because last time she went the doctor pretty much convinced her she was fine. Why I'm posting this now is i just found out she takes around 6 ALEVE a day for her headaches, she's not addicted or anything just only thing that helps her, and I know this isn't right/normal. I would really like to find out what I can about possible diseases, disorders, etc. that relate to these previous symptoms above so I can get some research done on them and convince her to go to the doctor and also give the doctor some ideas. If anyone could offer any advice concerning this I would greatly appreciate your time and effort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
hilery79
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Re: Multiple Symptoms No Diagnosis PLEASE HELP

Hi,
Has she had her thyroid checked? I had all of the symptoms you listed and ended up having problems related to my thyroid. I am now on meds and feel a lot better. Intolerance to cold and headaches are both symptoms of hypothyroidism. Tell her to ask her Dr. to do a complete thyroid panel.
I hope she finds some answers soon.
hilery

Old 02-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

Like Hilery said, it definitely sounds like a problem with her thyroid. Anemia can cause similar symptoms as well. She really needs to have a CBC and get a routine physical.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Arms
(male)

Arms HB User

I've done a little research about thyroid disorders and i think it is quite possible that it is what she may have. Could anyone give me a very descriptive post about thyroid disorders, from step 1 to the finish what to get tested for what to ask doctor what to look for etc. I'd like to know everything I can if anyone is willing to make a detailed post for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I just feel the more information I have the better prepared I will be to further persue this situation.

Thanks for the quick response!

P.S. any other suggestions if anyone has any would be great even if they arn't that likely.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

Here are some on hypothyroidism, which she should asked to be tested for.

Early Symptoms:
Many people attribute the early symptoms of hypothyroidism to stress or aging, including feeling chronically tired and overly sensitive to cold.

In one study, 30% of people with hypothyroidism developed headaches within one to two months of the onset of the thyroid disorder. Those with a history of migraines were at higher risk for this symptom. The headaches were mild but continuous and on both sides of the head.

Muscle and joint aches often develop.

Weight gain is common even though appetite diminishes.

Constipation can be a problem.

Premenopausal women may experience heavy periods or, in rare cases, a milky discharge from the breasts.

A history of miscarriage may be a sign of impending hypothyroidism. Studies suggest that even if thyroid levels are normal, women who have a history of miscarriages often have antithyroid antibodies during early pregnancy and are at risk for developing autoimmune thyroiditis over time.
Later Symptoms. As free thyroxine levels fall over the following months, other symptoms develop:
Mental activity, including concentration and memory, may become slightly impaired, particularly in the elderly.

Depression develops. Some experts believe that even mild thyroid failure may increase susceptibility to major depression.

Hypothyroidism affects muscles. Weakness and pain may occur. Muscle cramps are common. In some cases it causes carpal tunnel syndrome or symptoms similar to gout or arthritis. In some cases the arms and legs may feel numb.

Some people experience hearing loss.

The voice may become husky.

Obstructive sleep apnea is common, in which tissues in the upper throat collapse at intervals during sleep, thereby blocking the passage of air.

If untreated, the classic physical changes characteristic of myxedema can develop: a round puffy face with a sleepy appearance, dry, rough skin, and loss of hair.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

HOW IS HYPOTHYROIDISM DIAGNOSED?
Advances in diagnostic methods now make it possible to detect hypothyroidism in almost all cases before severe symptoms develop. Physicians can make the diagnosis of hypothyroidism after completing a history and physical exam of the patient and performing sensitive laboratory tests on the patient's blood.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
hilery79
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

If you haven't already, I would suggest that you post over on the thyroid board. They would be able to tell you what specific tests to ask for. She may also want to have a test run for antibodies. I ended up having Hashimoto's thyroiditis(this is becoming more and more common in young women) which is an autoimmune disorder where antibodies attack your thyroid. This disease can cause regular thyroid labs to read normal when there really is a problem. An antibody test can rule this out.
It would also be a good idea to have her dr. feel around on her thyroid to make sure there aren't any nodules. When I was going through all of this they ended up finding a nodule on my thyroid that turned out to be cancerous. Thankfully, it was very curable. This didn't cause any of my symptoms, but I was lucky they happened to feel around on my thyroid or it may have never been found.

good luck,
hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 02-01-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Closed Thread