It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

about periods.....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
annonymousgirl

annonymousgirl HB User
Unhappy about periods.....

Ok, well I'm only 15 and obviously don't know that much about periods.. I was 12 when I started so... you know... Anyways... lol.. Everytime I have my period it is like soooo much...... I mean.. I wear a pad for like 1 hour and when I come back (by the way its extra absorbancy and super long and super thick..) its completely filled or I leaked all over my jeans!!!! And that's so embarassing at school.. Also, I was at school one day and I was in class for about.. 2 hours and went to lunch and I have those super long thick you know pads and a tampon and when I went in the bathroom my pad was completely filled up and it leaked a little.. When that happened thats when I realized that my period was way too heavy.. I mean, some people just get those little pads and it lasts them the whole day. MY goodness, I had a tampon and one of those bid pads and I still leaked!! Why does this happen?? Why is mine so heavy?? Is there anything I can do so it wont be so bad?? Oh by the way, only the 1st and 2nd day of my period is like that, the rest are just like everyone elses... Please help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
oceandreams
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Re: about periods.....

I agree with the previous poster about menstrual cups, they really help with heavy periods. I bought a Divacup, which is basically the same as the Mooncup. Be sure though to wear a pad as a backup, just in case. Sometimes a really big clot can even fill up a cup pretty fast.

Also, since you have such heavy periods, it would be a good idea for you to take a good multiple vitamin with Iron, every day. I ended up being anemic from years of heavy periods.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
nessa62873
(female)

nessa62873 HB User

i agree with both previous post but i would switch to the overnight padsand wear them during the days when you flow heavy and i would also schedule a drs appoint about this problem maybe they can suggest something also

Old 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
moonlitday

moonlitday HB User

I used to have the same issue, but mine was irregular...but when I had my period the first few days were bad. I was put on birth control and have been fine ever since. I have one heavyish day, and that's not even that bad now. Good luck at the Dr's.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
annonymousgirl

annonymousgirl HB User

Whats a menstrual cup?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
crowgirl
(female)

crowgirl HB User

When I was a teen, my periods were also so heavy that I started getting dizzy spells and things like that, so my gyn gave me some kind of medication that made my uterus contract, thereby reducing the flow. I only had to take it for a few months, and from then on I was fine. I'm not sure whether this kind of medication is available where you live, but it might be worth a try. All the best!

Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
xoomxoom

xoomxoom HB User
Lightbulb Re: about periods.....

You could try using a birth control method, as this sometimes regulates flow (or rather decreases flow), but I would not recommend using the pill or patch, as the side effects are much worse than what you're currently dealing with.

My suggestion, as this has worked for me (I have very heavy flow and feel like I'm giving birth every other month), is to become very physically active (if you're not already.. if you are, kick it up a notch or two). For some, being very active (and consequently, very fit) causes decreased flow and pain (me being one of these people).. However, the side effect to this method is you may become irregular. And while irregular (caused by physical active levels) isn't a concern medically (becareful some might freak), it is a bit annoying.

[removed] But stay away from the birth control pills/patches - they don't call it tricking your body into thinking its pregnant for nothing (your body acts and reacts like it would if you were - weight gain, acne, headaches, stomach issues, etc..).

Last edited by moderator2; 02-18-2004 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Do not offer or ask for off board contact. The boards are for on-board sharing only. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the board. Thank you

Closed Thread