It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

False Negative Pregnancy Test?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
thidagirl22
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User
False Negative Pregnancy Test?

Hi!
I was due for my period the 3rd of Feb. and it has still not arrived. I took a pregnancy test the 5th and it was negative. I was just wondering if it could be a false negative? I am not on bc, My husband and I do the natural planning thing. If I am not pregnant what else could it be? I am waiting to take another test. I talked to my obgyn over the phone and he said to give it another week. I thought these test were supposed to pick up the hcg really early. I used an EPT test. If you have any answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Whitney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
alleycat
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User
Re: False Negative Pregnancy Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thidagirl22
Hi!
I was due for my period the 3rd of Feb. and it has still not arrived. I took a pregnancy test the 5th and it was negative. I was just wondering if it could be a false negative? I am not on bc, My husband and I do the natural planning thing. If I am not pregnant what else could it be? I am waiting to take another test. I talked to my obgyn over the phone and he said to give it another week. I thought these test were supposed to pick up the hcg really early. I used an EPT test. If you have any answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Whitney
Yes it could be a false Pregnancy test. I know some tests say they can pick up on it sooner but Im not sure it that is so true. I would wait until 10 days have passed since you missed and then take it.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
thidagirl22
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

Thank you alleycat. I appreciate it. I was going to ask if it is a sign of preg. when you have light cramping? It's not as strong as a menstrual cramp. I've been getting them on and off for the last three days. I've got two kids but I've forgotten the little signs of pregnancy.

Last edited by thidagirl22; 02-14-2004 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-14-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

I had horrible cramps with my last pregnancy; about six weeks after my last period and even before I suspected pregnancy as I was always irregular. I also had extremely tender breasts; moreso than that of the week before a period and you might also take your temperature in the morning. If it's above 98.5 upon waking for two weeks, there is a strong chance that pregnancy is indicated. BTW, even though I had horrible cramping, baby was just fine and I ended up being overdue by two weeks to deliver an almost 10 lb. baby boy! Good thing I didn't know I was preggers or I'd think I was miscarrying. Not sure if it's the norm for everyone but it does happen.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
thidagirl22
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I took another hpt this morning and I think it said negative. In one window it had a vertical line and in the next it had a horizontal line? It's supposed to have two vertical lines so I don't know if I should read that as a negative or a positive. My aunt told me when she was pregnant the last time around that she took hpt's and blood tests and they always said negative. The doctor finally confirmed the pregnancy when she was 5 1/2 months along. She said she knew she was preggers but the dr. kept telling her that she wasn't. That was weird. I'm 2 weeks late today, I don't know what to think.

Old 02-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Sunshine7576

Sunshine7576 HB User

Since you're doing NFP, I'm wondering if you know for sure which day you ovulated? Technically there are 14 days from ovulation to your period, regardless of how many days there were from your last period until ovulation. Have your morning temps remained consistently high since ovulation until now?

Closed Thread