It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User
heavy period

Hey everyone, I have a big problem in the period department. I have really really really heavy ones. And I was to the Gyno and i told her about it and she seemed sympathetic... but she didnt offer anyway to help it other then the pill WOULD IF i could take it but my body has rejected this idea about 3 times now!
Does anyone else get heavy heavy like cant leave the house heavy periods!?
I cant even go to work on the worst days because I even leak through over nights if i dont change like after an hour!!!
I hate it so much and no b/c works for me it actually makes it worse!
Is it true eating soy messes with your period?? I do eat lots of soy as im a vegetarian.. but have had this problem even before then!
Does anyone know how much blood you are supposed to loose realisticly?
All i know is when I know my period is coming around I will cry because I hate the feeling of being uner house arrest and in pain for 3 days (its only bad for 3 days and the other days are totally tollerable).
And it is very regular. It is like clock work!!
But i want my life back. All i do is worry about the next period and what im going to do! Somtimes I will just sit on the toilet for a couple hours because its easier, sad. There isnt really any clotting, just lots and lots of blood!
Well I appritiate any input, this is kinda imbarassing..
o ya Im 20 and have had my period for 5 years and it has always been like this!!!
thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #2

Giggles68 HB User
Re: heavy period

Hi, this is exactly what I have been going through but I am 35 yrs old and done having children. I went to the Gyno last week and two days later she did a novasure endometrial ablation. It is a surgery that removes the lining to your uterus. The lining is what causes the bleeding. My lining was very thick, supposedly I will still get my period but it is called a "bloodless" period. My Gyno is very confident that I will not bleed anymore.
It is a real bummer to have to go through bleeding so much, I used to use 2 Super Plus tampons and still leak within 20 minutes and this would go on for 3 days. Birth control didn't work for me either. The only concern with you having an ablation is that you can not/should not have kids afterwards, if you were to get pregnant it would be dangerous. Your really young yet and maybe you should go for a 2nd opinion. You should not have to deal with that problem every month. When you get older and are done having kids there is more options for you. I feel for you but keep up a good attitude and somebody will help you.

Renee

Old 02-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User

Thanks,
I am pretty sure I will eventually have this done as it was recomended to me to think about it but I am planning on having children within the next 5 years but after I have had my kids I would be willing to do this!
Thanks for reply!!

Old 02-19-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

I would lay off the soy. I'm in my late 40's and still have plenty of estrogen and my doctor told me that the soy would "fuel the fire" and make my bleeding heavier than it already is. So see if that makes a difference by cutting out all the soy.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

To DianeK: Do you think taking soy would make you have your period a lot sooner than normal? I just started eating soy and I had my period six days after it had just ended. This has never happened before and my only guess is that it was the soy.

On the heavy periods, how about wearing a diaphram to catch the blood along with tampons and pads? The diaphram can hold a lot and you should be safe to leave the house. The doctor or planned parenthood can fit you for one, it is good birth control too. It is easy to insert. This idea may gross you out, but it is just a suggestion.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #6

QuietStorm4000 HB User

Het Giggles
What was the thema procedure like? Did it hurt? How long did it take? Was it done in the office? Did you get medication to numb you? Do you feel differently?
Details please!!!
To TH--Has your doctor checked you for anemia? Bleeding a lot each month can drain your body of iron and lead to this.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

Are you sure that you had your period again six days after it ended? You may just be getting ready to ovulate and the surge of estrogen can make you bleed for a day or so. You might try using a tampon especially made for "heavy days" + an overnite pad to help you get through those first few heavy days; that's what I do.

As far as the diaphram, I really never thought about it but I suppose it would work. I do not need birth control so I doubt I'd go that route anyway.

You are too young to be going through such heavy bleeding and perhaps you might suggest to the doc to have an ultrasound of your uterus to see if you have an unusual buildup of the lining; or polyps (which are usually benign). I went through that and had a D & C. Bleeding was still heavy afterwards, but I lay it to age and having had kids. But I'd sure investigate it if I were you. That's not normal to be bleeding as much as you say without finding out why. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2004, 03:59 AM   #8
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStorm402000
Het Giggles
What was the thema procedure like? Did it hurt? How long did it take? Was it done in the office? Did you get medication to numb you? Do you feel differently?
Details please!!!
To TH--Has your doctor checked you for anemia? Bleeding a lot each month can drain your body of iron and lead to this.
Yes, I was cheacked for anemia, i was anemic for 6 years and .... this IS weird...but i am not anemic anymore (THANK GOD) and I noticed the turn around when I became a vegetarian because i started taking iron sup's ...
but I do worry about that.
You know maybe I dont bleed a ridicuals amount, im sure there is people who get it worse..but i dont have "girl" friends I only really have guy friends and brothers!! SO i dont know what is "normal" i just would think that I would be able to make it through one night with one over nighter not have to get up and change half way through....
anyways... i know there is "measurments" to say whats normal.. but what am I supposed to do sit there with a cup all day and measure it??? uh.. no
ah well... I dunno, I do have a girl friend who I COULD ask.. but im shy about this stuff!!! SO i dunno!!
thanks all!!

Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
The average amount a typical woman menstruates is about 4 tablespoons (2 ounces). As to how to measure it, who knows!

Actually, if you use a menstrual cup, you could probaby get an idea, but it sounds to me like you're on the very heavy side. I've recently started having very heavy periods - which sound like yours - and I'm going to see my Dr about it on Wednesday. I'm really hoping there's a simple solution.

I'm very interested to hear more about what Giggles68 had done. Please give us more info, if you can.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #10
(female)

HvnsAngel HB User

Hi:

I am 39 years old and have the same thing and I hate it. I have to wear a tampon and a pad for the first 3 days and nights. I just went to the GYN and she felt what she thinks is a fibroid. I have to go next month for a pelvic ultrasound (never had one of those b4). I was reading up on fibroids and found out that there are 3 different types and they cause very heavy bleeding.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
Inactive

pfunk HB User

Hi. I just wanted to know if endometriosis has been considered by your OBGYN at all. This sounds like a possibility. Are your estrogen levels high? Estrogen contributes to endometriosis? Are you consuming a great deal of meat or dairy that is not certified organic? The hormones given to cattle can significantly heighten the estrogen in humans who consume milk and beef? There is a possibility that soy heightens estrogen levels depending upon which side of the controversy you fall but its certainly less than compared to the beef and dairy. Make sure to get selenium and B vitamins.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #12
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk
Hi. I just wanted to know if endometriosis has been considered by your OBGYN at all. This sounds like a possibility. Are your estrogen levels high? Estrogen contributes to endometriosis? Are you consuming a great deal of meat or dairy that is not certified organic? The hormones given to cattle can significantly heighten the estrogen in humans who consume milk and beef? There is a possibility that soy heightens estrogen levels depending upon which side of the controversy you fall but its certainly less than compared to the beef and dairy. Make sure to get selenium and B vitamins.
actually... i take vitamin suppliments and as for the dairy and beef, UGH never. Im a vegetarian so besides the fact there is loads of crap in the meat sold these days I wouldnt eat it anyways for ethical reasons.
So no, thats out and my estrogen levels arent too high, because actually I have been told they are low! Makes no sence to me! And on the good side... this past period I had wasnt too bad AT ALL!!! Maybe it is a phase because I have only had my period for what?-3 or 4 years?? (i was a late "bloomer")
so I'll have to wait to see next month, but this month was really good and it only lasted 4 days!
so im super happy about that! I talked to my sisters and they all (3 of em) said in their early twenties they had troubled periods as well and very heavy ones! So maybe there isnt an "underlying" problem, maybe it just is my body ??
any ways, thanks everyone for their thoughts and input!!

Closed Thread