It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
What's this sore underneath top lip?

I get canker sores IN my mouth usually along the gum line. I now have what looks like a canker sore on the inside of my upper LIP and wondered if that was considered a COLD sore instead of a canker? I was under the impression that cold sores were crusty sores that appeared on the OUTSIDE of the lips. Maybe I am wrong, but what I have looks just like a canker sore but maybe cold sores start out looking the same. anyone know? Also, is there anyone out there that seems to constantly have canker sores going on? If so, is it possibly hormone related?

Thanks to all!

Old 02-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive

purpleprincess HB User
Re: What's this sore underneath top lip?

Hey There!

I don't know what you have. You might have a cold sore, or even possibly a fever blister. I too get canker sores in my mouth alot and they are very painful and annoying. I don't know if they are hormone related or not. For me, that would certainly make sense. If you find out about them being hormone related, please let me know! I hope all gets better. Do try putting something on it to see if it helps. I know abreva works well, try that. Well, I'll be going now. Have a great day!

Kristina

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I get canker sores IN my mouth usually along the gum line. I now have what looks like a canker sore on the inside of my upper LIP and wondered if that was considered a COLD sore instead of a canker? I was under the impression that cold sores were crusty sores that appeared on the OUTSIDE of the lips. Maybe I am wrong, but what I have looks just like a canker sore but maybe cold sores start out looking the same. anyone know? Also, is there anyone out there that seems to constantly have canker sores going on? If so, is it possibly hormone related?

Thanks to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleprincess
Hey There!

I don't know what you have. You might have a cold sore, or even possibly a fever blister. I too get canker sores in my mouth alot and they are very painful and annoying. I don't know if they are hormone related or not. For me, that would certainly make sense. If you find out about them being hormone related, please let me know! I hope all gets better. Do try putting something on it to see if it helps. I know abreva works well, try that. Well, I'll be going now. Have a great day!

Kristina
I will let you know if I find out anything! I hope that I get more responses that may help me. They are PAINFUL!

Old 02-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #4

missymouse HB User

Hey Just a precautionary note, Abreva is only meant for cold sores on the outside of your lips. It should not be used if the sore is inside your mouth. I have been getting what I thought were canker sores for years. It turns out that most of them were actually small ulcers caused by the same bacteria that caused my stomach ulcer (H. Pylori). If you have any type of stomach ulcer or problem it might pay off to consider speaking to your Doctor about it. When my doc figured out that that was the problem he gave me a VERY week lidocaine gel to swish with when they got really bad. Orajel is a medication that can be used for sores INSIDE the mouth. I find that that works really well as long as you don't eat or drink anything right away. I like to buy the medicated swabs that you have to crack in two because I think it's neat to watch the medication soak into the cotton I haven't noticed any correlation between when I get them and my hormones, but I do seem to get the canker sores shortly before I get sick. As far as I'm aware you can not get cold sores IN your mouth.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymouse
Hey Just a precautionary note, Abreva is only meant for cold sores on the outside of your lips. It should not be used if the sore is inside your mouth. I have been getting what I thought were canker sores for years. It turns out that most of them were actually small ulcers caused by the same bacteria that caused my stomach ulcer (H. Pylori). If you have any type of stomach ulcer or problem it might pay off to consider speaking to your Doctor about it. When my doc figured out that that was the problem he gave me a VERY week lidocaine gel to swish with when they got really bad. Orajel is a medication that can be used for sores INSIDE the mouth. I find that that works really well as long as you don't eat or drink anything right away. I like to buy the medicated swabs that you have to crack in two because I think it's neat to watch the medication soak into the cotton I haven't noticed any correlation between when I get them and my hormones, but I do seem to get the canker sores shortly before I get sick. As far as I'm aware you can not get cold sores IN your mouth.

Did your Dr. say that your ulcers were caused from your stomach ulcer? Are your sores inside or outside of your mouth?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Oral herpes, or coldsores as they are commonly referred, generally are on the outside of the lips. Either on the part of the lip you would put chapstick, or most commonly right around where the skin of the lip meets the facial skin. They can also appear on the face, or around the nostrils.

If what you have is on the inside of your lip, it is most likely just a canker sore, which has nothing to do with herpes.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #7

missymouse HB User

Yes, the ENT doctor that I was referred to by my regular doc told me that that was was it was. They appeared inside my mouth. For the most part I get them right at the top and bottom of my mouth were my gums meet my cheeks *ouch* I also occasionally get them on the inside of my lips. They're not much fun, but as I understand it, not very common either. They look a bit like canker sores but are bigger and (I think) more painful. I wouldn't worry too much about this unless you DO have an ulcer caused by H. Pylori

Closed Thread