It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

BS5689 HB User
Very dark brown periods

For the past two months, my periods have been a very dark brown color, and the discharge/mucus has been the same color, maybe a little blackish looking. I have been on the pill for 4 years now, and i havent switched brands or anything recently and I haven't taken any late. I've been getting all the cramps and breast tenderness I get every month before my period, but it's really weird how it has changed color. I am due for a pap smear next month in March, so I guess I will ask the doctor about it then, but for now, would any of you have any idea what is wrong with me?

Old 02-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #2

sweetficus HB User
Re: Very dark brown periods

dark brown or black periods is because of old blood (fresh blood is sort of bright red, as it gets old it turns dark to even black). My periods always end with spotty black to dark brown as the very last bits of the period go out. I think that either the period is very light so it doesn't really flow fast so the blood gets old (that is my case), or if the uterus isn't contracting enough to get the period blood out or if there is a cervical stenosis so the blood can't get out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #3

stanky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS5689
For the past two months, my periods have been a very dark brown color, and the discharge/mucus has been the same color, maybe a little blackish looking. I have been on the pill for 4 years now, and i havent switched brands or anything recently and I haven't taken any late. I've been getting all the cramps and breast tenderness I get every month before my period, but it's really weird how it has changed color. I am due for a pap smear next month in March, so I guess I will ask the doctor about it then, but for now, would any of you have any idea what is wrong with me?

I have the same problem you have. Do you think this has anything to do with fertility?

Old 02-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #4

Athousandtears HB User

I have had the same thing but was not on birth-control so U dont think that could be it but it is a possibility talk to your gynco or go to a doctors I dont think its anything serious but it could be a mild vaginal infectionl. My discharge was kinda cottage cheesy :S and my period was dark brown and had a odd odor...... good luck
-Liddy

Old 02-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #5

Tyger HB User

I found the opposite - when i wasn't on the pill, i would experience that 'old blood' type stuff at the start and end of my flow, but now that I'm on the pill, it will always be 'fresh' bright red blood that stops pretty quickly at the end of my period but never actually turns brown.
Wierd huh? I wish i knew why

Tyger.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
(female)

Kimberly8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger
I found the opposite - when i wasn't on the pill, i would experience that 'old blood' type stuff at the start and end of my flow, but now that I'm on the pill, it will always be 'fresh' bright red blood that stops pretty quickly at the end of my period but never actually turns brown.
Wierd huh? I wish i knew why

Tyger.
Just a thought, I have endometriosis (basically blood that gets trapped somewheres in abdomen instead of releasing with your period) and that definetly tends to have periods with dark brown...it last before the period and afterwards also...so many possibilities...

Closed Thread