It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

I am having a D&C/Hysteroscopy and an Ablation this coming Tuesday.
I am scared to death and would love to hear from anyone out there who has gone thru this. It will be done with conscious sedation and a local anesthetic and they assure me I will feel no pain. Please respond as soon as you can.
Thank you
:

Last edited by lindago9; 03-10-2004 at 06:35 PM.

 
Old 03-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 954
PaNik5717 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Wow! All at once and with local anesthesia. I believe what your doc says about not feeling the pain. Many women do have these procedures under local. I had a LEEP done under local last May and even the shot didn't hurt. I had the D&C/hysteroscopy and asked if I could have the local again, but my doc preferred to have me asleep. Patients are more relaxed which makes it easier on the doc. And, she thought she might find polyps or fibroids to resect and she wanted me totally relaxed or that. I guess she did get rid of a few polyps. At least you get to skip starving that morning and all of the hospital admission stuff. I also thought it felt more relaxing to have the procedure in the office than the one in the hospital.

Has your doc talked at all about what would happen if s/he found something with the hysteroscopy? It seems like the ablation would happen after the results from the other two procedures came back. What is the doc looking for and is it possible that there might be another form of treatment option? I know you have been waiting for all of this for awhile, though, and I am sure you will be pleased to have it done.

After my D&C, I felt pretty much normal within about 24 to 48 hours. Sitting was a little uncomfortable for a few days, but not painful. I hear the ablation recovery is about the same. Just follow all of your doc's orders as far as recovery restrictions and you should be fine. Write down your last minute concerns and questions and get that out of the way when you see the doc.

As with most things, the waiting is probably the hardest part. Then, waiting for the recovery to end is tough. The procedures themselves are often a breeze compared to the waiting. If all goes as planned, your quality of life should improve dramatically over the next couple of months.
__________________
Total abdominal hysterectomy at age 26 due to abnormal bleeding. Kept ovaries.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-11-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Thank you for your reply. It is with a local anesthetic but also with conscious sedation which I understand is like being asleep.
I am scheduled for 2:00 in the afternoon and they said I cannot eat or drink from midnight the night before. I am completly freaked out.
I already had an endometrial biopsy which came back negative and a saline ultrasound so they think the chances of it being cancer are slim but still want me to have a biopsy with the hysteroscopy. I did have a polyp but they think that is gone now. My doctor is close to retiring and took me thru all of this till I needed the surgery and then he told me he is not doing surgery anymore. I am going to use one of his partners in the same office.
They both discussed it and decided an ablation would help me and possibly prevent the need for a hysterectomy.
Linda

 
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 954
PaNik5717 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Ugh. I hate the not eating part. I think I have also heard of conscious sedation as a twilight sleep. Never had it, though, but I have heard it's a fun way to go. Have you already had a pre-op visit? I had my D&C at 1:30 and they let me have 16 ounces of clear liquids from midnight to 10:00. That helped a lot. I think it could be due to the fact that we live in a high desert area. Perhaps it is an option you can explore, though. Nothing at all until 2:00 sounds extreme. I was so happy to have my hyster at 7:30.

I have heard that the ablation is a great way to go for a lot of women. It was something I explored, but ended up going with the hyster instead. My case was so bizarre and rare that we really weren't sure if the ablation would work. I think it is worth trying since it means keeping your uterus and having a much shorter recovery, though. And, since your doc has already been in there for the biopsy, he must have a pretty good idea. It just sounded a little odd to do the hysteroscopy at the same time.

How sad to have your doc retire in the middle of all of this. It is nice when they have reliable partners to discuss things with. Mine reviewed my case with her senior partner and they decided on the hyster over the ablation. since the hyster was what I prefererred. I got to meet with him once and it is nice to know that he is there if she is ever out.

Can I ask you what has you the most worried about all of this? It is totally normal to worry about the pain and the misery of not eating that morning and even about the loss of fertility. Just curious where your fears lie and if I can help to ease them in any way. Regardless, I can't wait to hear how things go next week and in the weeks to come.

Nicole

 
Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

I am 55 yrs old so fertility is not an issue. I have never had any surgery before in my life other than tonsils at 12 and I can't remember much about it.
I am scared that it will show some kind of cancer which is why they are doing the D&C and Hysteroscopy. The chances are very slim but I think they want to be sure. The second doctor told me the endometrial biopsy's are very reliable so I am trying to put that thought out of my mind.
I guess I am the most scared about going into the operating room and panicking before they can give me the anesthetic.
The Ablation thing was not a consideration at first but when my reg gyne talked to his partner they both thought even though I am so close to menopause or already there this would be an added insurance that I would not have these heavy bleeding episodes anymore.
I am the most scared about just having surgery period. I guess I wonder how many people will be in the operating room staring at me when I am exposed. I know it is a stupid concern but I cannot help it.
I just hope they put me under before they expose me. What I don't know won't hurt me.

Linda







Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNik5717
Ugh. I hate the not eating part. I think I have also heard of conscious sedation as a twilight sleep. Never had it, though, but I have heard it's a fun way to go. Have you already had a pre-op visit? I had my D&C at 1:30 and they let me have 16 ounces of clear liquids from midnight to 10:00. That helped a lot. I think it could be due to the fact that we live in a high desert area. Perhaps it is an option you can explore, though. Nothing at all until 2:00 sounds extreme. I was so happy to have my hyster at 7:30.

I have heard that the ablation is a great way to go for a lot of women. It was something I explored, but ended up going with the hyster instead. My case was so bizarre and rare that we really weren't sure if the ablation would work. I think it is worth trying since it means keeping your uterus and having a much shorter recovery, though. And, since your doc has already been in there for the biopsy, he must have a pretty good idea. It just sounded a little odd to do the hysteroscopy at the same time.

How sad to have your doc retire in the middle of all of this. It is nice when they have reliable partners to discuss things with. Mine reviewed my case with her senior partner and they decided on the hyster over the ablation. since the hyster was what I prefererred. I got to meet with him once and it is nice to know that he is there if she is ever out.

Can I ask you what has you the most worried about all of this? It is totally normal to worry about the pain and the misery of not eating that morning and even about the loss of fertility. Just curious where your fears lie and if I can help to ease them in any way. Regardless, I can't wait to hear how things go next week and in the weeks to come.

Nicole

 
Old 03-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 954
PaNik5717 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Yeah, you had mentioned the C-word earlier. I know nothing can reassure you until you come out of there and hear it from your doc and/or see the pathology reports. Having had the biopsy, you pretty much know already, though, that you are probably fine. I was told repeatedly that flooding and dysfunctional bleeding is really common close to menopause. I would guess that is pretty much what's going on with you. In fact, I keep wondering if I could have been perimenopausal since they never found a cause for my bleeding. I can tell you, though, I am so happy that the days of looking in the bottom of a shower and seeing something out of a horror flick are totally behind me. At 55, you have earned the right not to have to deal with it anymore either.

My D&C was my first surgery that felt like surgery. I had an umbilical hernia repair as an infant, but my parents were the ones who were upset by that, not me. I was worried about two things: not eating and the IV. Of course, the IV blew on the first try and it hurt, but it wasn't that bad and it was out of my arm by the time I was awake again. I rolled into the OR and they had me scoot over to the table. They helped me get my underwear off because I had been bleeding earlier that day. (I hear you can ask for one of those big bed pads to avoid the awkwardness over leaving the underwear for them to remove or removing them in front of them.) They kept bringing me more and more warm blankets which was wonderful, but I knew I would be spread eagle and naked in front of them in a matter of moments. They were really funny about keeping me all covered as they put all of the monitors on me. I kinda laughed and I think I even remarked about them protecting my modesty. I was looking forward to that whole "count backwards from 100" part. I totally missed it. They put an oxygen mask on me and I was out without any warning. I woke up all covered up and cozy in the recovery room.

For my hyster, they had me walk myself into the OR and I had myglasses on so I got to see a lot more. I have to admit, I was shocked at all of the activity going on just for me. Probably about ten people, but I don't think they use as many for a more minor procedure. I had three med students in on mine and I was happy to have them, but that should be three less for you. Oh, and the bonus was that they got to watch me get shaved for my abdominal incision. Thank goodness I was asleep.

I'm sure it will be a little different for you with the conscious sedation, but probably similar. You might mention something to one of the more sympathetic nurses. Just let them know that you know what is going to happen, but you still feel a little anxious at the thought of being so exposed to all of the people in the OR.

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

 
Old 03-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Thank you for your quick responses. I don't think my boss would be too happy with me knowing how I am spending my time at work today.
I am looking forward to having a day off of work the day after the surgery.
The hospital is a learning hospital so I hope there won't be medical students in the room. I hope they need my permission first and I will say no.
Did they have to ask your permission?

Linda

 
Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 954
PaNik5717 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

My doc knows me pretty well. I saw her about every two weeks from September to December. I do remember her asking me if students could come into the room for office visits. I always said yes. Then, I had a pre-op physical with one of them and asked her if she would be there for the procedure. She said that she didn't have seniority so it depended on the student who did have priority. My procedure didn't sound all that exciting, but maybe it was with my young, childless uterus coming out that brought out all three and my doc probably knew I wouldn't object. It was nice to have them. The more conservative one who did my physical was joined by another girl who had her hyster at my age. Sort of a yin and yang going on. And, then, there was the guy. He was so sexy. I developed a crush on him while I was in the hospital. I got myself up at 5:00 to brush my teeth because I knew he would be there at about 6:45. He was at my two-week follow-up and I totally forgot to ask any questions. I was just so giddy at the site of him. I think it may ahev also been due to them putting me on HRT in the hospital.

It's nice to be able to reach out into the real world and provide some support again. I'm starting to spend almost equal amounts of time up and in bed. It's nice to know I went through three surgeries in less than a year at such a young age for something. I have all kinds of experience to share. You know, you and I will be recovered and back out in the world at about the same time!


Do you have someone staying with you to pamper you on the day after your surgery?
__________________
Total abdominal hysterectomy at age 26 due to abnormal bleeding. Kept ovaries.

 
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Hi Nicole,
Thank you for all of your responses. You have made me feel much better about the whole situation. Are you only 26 yrs old? Do you have any children?
My husband cannot stay home with me on Wed. unless it is a real emergency.
He has to get to work. My Mom offered but I'd rather be home alone (LOL).
I think I am just really scared of the unknown, never having surgery before and of complications from the surgery. I am just going to hope everything goes well. I will let you know what is happening. Keep emailing me you are great. Are you recovered yet from your ordeal?
Linda


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNik5717
My doc knows me pretty well. I saw her about every two weeks from September to December. I do remember her asking me if students could come into the room for office visits. I always said yes. Then, I had a pre-op physical with one of them and asked her if she would be there for the procedure. She said that she didn't have seniority so it depended on the student who did have priority. My procedure didn't sound all that exciting, but maybe it was with my young, childless uterus coming out that brought out all three and my doc probably knew I wouldn't object. It was nice to have them. The more conservative one who did my physical was joined by another girl who had her hyster at my age. Sort of a yin and yang going on. And, then, there was the guy. He was so sexy. I developed a crush on him while I was in the hospital. I got myself up at 5:00 to brush my teeth because I knew he would be there at about 6:45. He was at my two-week follow-up and I totally forgot to ask any questions. I was just so giddy at the site of him. I think it may ahev also been due to them putting me on HRT in the hospital.

It's nice to be able to reach out into the real world and provide some support again. I'm starting to spend almost equal amounts of time up and in bed. It's nice to know I went through three surgeries in less than a year at such a young age for something. I have all kinds of experience to share. You know, you and I will be recovered and back out in the world at about the same time!


Do you have someone staying with you to pamper you on the day after your surgery?

 
Old 03-12-2004, 08:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 954
PaNik5717 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Well, the initial recovery period after a TAH is six weeks. I am at about 4.5 weeks right now. I feel OK, but I have what is known on another board as "swelly belly." My whole belly swells up like I am about 4 months pregnant whenever I am active. The only way to cure swelly belly is to rest and wait so I spend most of my time in bed with my feet up. I just take the swelling as a signal that my body is trying to protect itself from something I am doing and I don't want to do any damage that would prolong the recovery period. In about ten days, I will be allowed to start doing the things I am used to. I will be able to work and work out a little. Right now, I am trying to build a little energy by walking around the house several times a day and around the neighborhood once a day. I could probably do more, but I have heard of a lot of women doing a lot of damage by going too far too soon.

I have never been pregnant and I am single which adds a few other emotions to the process. never having kids is also the reason why I had to have an abdominal incision. But, I think it has made the recovery period easier in some ways. It has made the whole thing easier becuase I only have to support me and take care of me and I haven't really worked since last May! At times, though, it would be nice to have someone looking out for me besides my mom and my doctor's. Perhaps that is why I liked the med students so much. They are so close to my age, so more like friends than doctors.

Do you have any appointments before your procedure or do you just show up Tuesday afternoon? Do you know anymore about the conscious sedation? Is it similar to the way they do a colonoscopy? If you do see your doc before the procedure, ask if the hospital pharmacy can prepare any of your post-op prescriptions while you are in the OR. That way, you can save a stop at the pharmacy on the way home. I was allowed to eat on the way home and we stopped to buy saltines and a milkshake because my drive from the hospital is two hours. You may want to have some gentle snackables in the car and a mild, but comforting dinner waiting in case you do feel like eating.

Don't let your boss catch you, but feel free to write anytime. I enjoy the breaks from my lonely days watching daytime TV.

Nicole

 
Old 03-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

I am not seeing the doctor again till D-day. I think it is a lot like having a Colonoscopy. I never had one of those but my husband has and he sleeps thru the whole procedure. I hope that is what happens to me. I have two grown girls. I think of them as my brats and they think they are my mother now. I am 55 going on 30 so basically I close to you in age at least that is what my mind tells me. I don't look my age and most people are shocked to think I am 55.
I think there is the possiblity they may knock me out totally so they have to have me prepare as though that is the case (I hope not).
Have you had a Colonoscopy? What was that sedation like?
What daytime TV do you watch? I record GH and One Life to Live and watch it every day.
I hope you feel better soon. When you are working what do you do?
Linda



Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNik5717
Well, the initial recovery period after a TAH is six weeks. I am at about 4.5 weeks right now. I feel OK, but I have what is known on another board as "swelly belly." My whole belly swells up like I am about 4 months pregnant whenever I am active. The only way to cure swelly belly is to rest and wait so I spend most of my time in bed with my feet up. I just take the swelling as a signal that my body is trying to protect itself from something I am doing and I don't want to do any damage that would prolong the recovery period. In about ten days, I will be allowed to start doing the things I am used to. I will be able to work and work out a little. Right now, I am trying to build a little energy by walking around the house several times a day and around the neighborhood once a day. I could probably do more, but I have heard of a lot of women doing a lot of damage by going too far too soon.

I have never been pregnant and I am single which adds a few other emotions to the process. never having kids is also the reason why I had to have an abdominal incision. But, I think it has made the recovery period easier in some ways. It has made the whole thing easier becuase I only have to support me and take care of me and I haven't really worked since last May! At times, though, it would be nice to have someone looking out for me besides my mom and my doctor's. Perhaps that is why I liked the med students so much. They are so close to my age, so more like friends than doctors.

Do you have any appointments before your procedure or do you just show up Tuesday afternoon? Do you know anymore about the conscious sedation? Is it similar to the way they do a colonoscopy? If you do see your doc before the procedure, ask if the hospital pharmacy can prepare any of your post-op prescriptions while you are in the OR. That way, you can save a stop at the pharmacy on the way home. I was allowed to eat on the way home and we stopped to buy saltines and a milkshake because my drive from the hospital is two hours. You may want to have some gentle snackables in the car and a mild, but comforting dinner waiting in case you do feel like eating.

Don't let your boss catch you, but feel free to write anytime. I enjoy the breaks from my lonely days watching daytime TV.

Nicole

 
Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 434
robste HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Hi, I hope it's okay if I jump in here on this conversation! I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy on Tuesday. I was supposed to also have a uterine ablation, but after my dr. did the d&c and the hysteroscopy, determined that unfortunately I could not have the uterine ablation, due to a fibroid in the uterine wall in the way. It's too risky to remove my fibroids (4), so I'm not sure what other options I will have. I have a follow up appt. with my dr. next Monday. I've been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, which is how all this started...went thru many medical tests, and they can't find any internal bleeding, which is good. So...it was determined that my anemia is probably caused by heavy periods.

Anyway, when I had the D&C & Hysteroscopy, I had general anesthesia. I'm not sure if the dr. would have just done a local if he knew I was just going to have the D&C or not. Anyway, I don't remember anything after being wheeled in the operating room and joking for a minute or two with the anesthesiologist and nurse.

I was also scared about the whole thing. The only surgery I'd ever had before was when I got my tonsils taken out when I was 10 years old.

It really helps to have kind nurses and medical staff. After I came out of surgery & out of recovery, the nurse brought me juice and muffins. The staff at the hopital was great.

With just the D&C, I really didn't have any pain...after the D&C, they gave me a tylenol and codeine, and that was it. I rested on Tuesday and Wednesday, and haven't had any pain at all. Of course, on Thursday, I got my period, lol.

I hope that all goes well for you. If you're scared about the whole thing, talk to the doctor & let him know that...I'm sure he'll be able to comfort you. Being nervous is natural, just remember that. Good luck!

 
Old 03-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Hi Robste,
Thank you so much for jumping in on the conversation. I am really freaked out. Although as it gets closer to the surgery day I am glad it will finally be over. I hope I have the same experience that you have and that I don't remember anything. That is what they said would happen. Besides the local I am getting conscious sedation which is supposed to put you in an almost sleep like state with forgetting everything that happened. Did you need the 3 full days to recover because they are telling me I should be able to go back to work on Wed? I am really sceptical about that since I am not having the surgery till 2:00 in the afternoon.
Linda




Quote:
Originally Posted by robste
Hi, I hope it's okay if I jump in here on this conversation! I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy on Tuesday. I was supposed to also have a uterine ablation, but after my dr. did the d&c and the hysteroscopy, determined that unfortunately I could not have the uterine ablation, due to a fibroid in the uterine wall in the way. It's too risky to remove my fibroids (4), so I'm not sure what other options I will have. I have a follow up appt. with my dr. next Monday. I've been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, which is how all this started...went thru many medical tests, and they can't find any internal bleeding, which is good. So...it was determined that my anemia is probably caused by heavy periods.

Anyway, when I had the D&C & Hysteroscopy, I had general anesthesia. I'm not sure if the dr. would have just done a local if he knew I was just going to have the D&C or not. Anyway, I don't remember anything after being wheeled in the operating room and joking for a minute or two with the anesthesiologist and nurse.

I was also scared about the whole thing. The only surgery I'd ever had before was when I got my tonsils taken out when I was 10 years old.

It really helps to have kind nurses and medical staff. After I came out of surgery & out of recovery, the nurse brought me juice and muffins. The staff at the hopital was great.

With just the D&C, I really didn't have any pain...after the D&C, they gave me a tylenol and codeine, and that was it. I rested on Tuesday and Wednesday, and haven't had any pain at all. Of course, on Thursday, I got my period, lol.

I hope that all goes well for you. If you're scared about the whole thing, talk to the doctor & let him know that...I'm sure he'll be able to comfort you. Being nervous is natural, just remember that. Good luck!

 
Old 03-12-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 434
robste HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

Being that I just had the D&C and hysteroscopy, my recovery really only took 1 day. If you also have an ablation, it might take a few more days.

 
Old 03-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 52
lindago9 HB User
Re: D&C/Hysteroscopy/Ablation

That is what I thought. I told them at work I may not be back till Friday but my boss has no sympathy and keeps hinting I should come back by Thursday.

Linda

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
D&C and Hysteroscopy Gavintine Women's Health 6 11-04-2007 05:21 PM
Hystersocopy & D&C recovery...have I done too much walking? Live-Life-to-Love Women's Health 3 06-29-2006 01:38 AM
still bleeding 3 wks after uterine balloon ablation & tubal....? eaker Women's Health 5 11-02-2005 06:06 PM
Hysteroscopy Ablation thewayiam Women's Health 3 09-01-2005 05:14 PM
hysteroscopy, d&c, & still no answers! kerry403 Women's Health 4 10-29-2004 11:59 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Alesse
Diflucan
Flagyl
Ibuprofen
Motrin
  Naproxen
Provera
Tylenol
Vicodin Yasmin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



STLouisgal (54), Kszan (41), Titchou (39), twohands (23), Seraph (17), solofelix (16), janewhite1 (14), ladybud (12), sjb (12), Vanilla Kiss (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1177), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!