It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #1

traffic9 HB User
Friable Cervix and Cryoserugery

Hi...Has anyone been diagnosed with a friable cervix? Is it something to be worried about? I have been bleeding during Intercourse for 5 months. Have had numerous doctors and tests done. All just say that my cervix bleeds on contact because the blood cells are too close to the top or something. This last doctor let me see my cervix with a mirror and I can see that at the position that would be 6 o'clock on a clock there is a small spot that looks a bit red. One doctor said i will just have to live with the blood. another said that I could get cryo or cauterization done but I risk scar tissue and that may affect having a baby in the future. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok to have a friable cervix? will cryo effect having kids in the future? They both say that this is not worrisome because there is not sign of infection. All STD's are negative and all paps are normal. This is worrisome because I bleed with sex. Alot of blood and it is very messy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: Friable Cervix and Cryoserugery

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic9
Hi...Has anyone been diagnosed with a friable cervix? Is it something to be worried about? I have been bleeding during Intercourse for 5 months. Have had numerous doctors and tests done. All just say that my cervix bleeds on contact because the blood cells are too close to the top or something. This last doctor let me see my cervix with a mirror and I can see that at the position that would be 6 o'clock on a clock there is a small spot that looks a bit red. One doctor said i will just have to live with the blood. another said that I could get cryo or cauterization done but I risk scar tissue and that may affect having a baby in the future. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok to have a friable cervix? will cryo effect having kids in the future? They both say that this is not worrisome because there is not sign of infection. All STD's are negative and all paps are normal. This is worrisome because I bleed with sex. Alot of blood and it is very messy.
5 MONTHS??! A friable cervix can be a sign of an infection. Has your doctor tested you for chlamydia? Bv? yeast? When was your last pap smear? Have you ever been diagnosed with HPV? Here's some info on possible causes of friability and possible resolutions:
Quote:
The usual causes of bleeding following intercourse are a "friable" cervix (one that has delicate skin so it bleeds easily), frequently a result of infection or inflammation of some sort. This can be allergic, systemic (like lupus or other immune system disorder), infectious (chlamydia, trichomonas, condyloma, gonorrhea, bacterial vaginosis, etc.), or rarely dysplasia (precancer) or cancer. Another possible cause is bleeding from the inside of the uterus -- from a fibroid or cervical or uterine polyp (a growth of the lining of the cervix or uterus). Or finally, bleeding from the vagina -- perhaps even small tears from intercourse, which is especially common with lack of adequate lubrication.

It is very important to schedule a visit with your health care provider. Since these symptoms have the potential of being serious and need to be evaluated soon. Don't put it off hoping it will get better on its own.

For now, visit your health care provider. If they can't find anything, a course of antibiotics is worth trying (zithromax or vibramycin and/or flagyl) and some birth control pills. After that, I would consider a colposcopy and possibly freezing the cervix to see if that would help. Good luck.
If you've been tested for STDs, if your pap was normal, if you don't have systemic immune problems and have ruled out allergies (to perfume in tampons, perhaps, or to lubricant or condoms, if you use 'em), then you should have a colposcopy post haste (colposcope is a fancy microscope thingie that can look at the cells on your cervix under magnification) and have the "red" part on your cervix biopsied to rule out cervical dysplasia.

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

KorkyDog HB User

I've been reading up on this for quite a while, as I have spotting/bleeding for about one day after intercourse. This has gone on for a long time. I haven't had a PAP smear in a long time, and I've recently gone for one and am awaiting the results. In the meantime, what I've read is that when you have this symptom it is safest to have the biopsy of the cervix done. It's called a colposcopy (spelling?). They will look at the cervix with a very tiny camera, and will take a small sample from the cervix to biopsy. I've read that it will in no way affect fertility. Also, from what I've read, a friable cervix seems to be the lesser of all the evils that this symptom can be from. I'm very worried that it's cervical cancer for me. I'm glad that your PAP was clear! That is really great. I'm going to feel quite relieved if mine comes out that way.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #4

traffic9 HB User

Hi Korky. Good Luck....I had a colposcopy done and the doctor didn't even see anything she wanted to biopsy. Hopefully this is nothing serious. Good Luck on your Pap. Please keep us posted. Please don't be worried about cervical cancer. It takes like a decade for it to progress to that. Even if you have severe displasia that is something that is easily treated with a Leep. Good Luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorkyDog
I've been reading up on this for quite a while, as I have spotting/bleeding for about one day after intercourse. This has gone on for a long time. I haven't had a PAP smear in a long time, and I've recently gone for one and am awaiting the results. In the meantime, what I've read is that when you have this symptom it is safest to have the biopsy of the cervix done. It's called a colposcopy (spelling?). They will look at the cervix with a very tiny camera, and will take a small sample from the cervix to biopsy. I've read that it will in no way affect fertility. Also, from what I've read, a friable cervix seems to be the lesser of all the evils that this symptom can be from. I'm very worried that it's cervical cancer for me. I'm glad that your PAP was clear! That is really great. I'm going to feel quite relieved if mine comes out that way.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
....I had a colposcopy done and the doctor didn't even see anything she wanted to biopsy. Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Get a second opinion from another gyn.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

KorkyDog HB User

Quote:
Hi Korky. Good Luck....I had a colposcopy done and the doctor didn't even see anything she wanted to biopsy. Hopefully this is nothing serious. Good Luck on your Pap. Please keep us posted. Please don't be worried about cervical cancer. It takes like a decade for it to progress to that. Even if you have severe displasia that is something that is easily treated with a Leep. Good Luck!!
Hi, Traffic9. Thank you for your support. I've been having spotting for quite a while, and I know that cervical cancer is one of the main causes of that. Hopefully the PAP will be negative, but I'm assuming the worst. I should hear about the test results this week.

Closed Thread