It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 PM   #1

greeksiren HB User
Vaginal itching caused by maxipads?

I have, in the past, suffered from yeast infections. However, my doctor very recently took a swab and told me I'm in the clear for now. My period just started a couple of days ago and I wore a maxipad to bed last night. Today I woke up with itching (mainly external but a bit internal) and it's been itchy all day. I use the same pads I always have. I've read that pads can cause infections because they don't let you "breathe" but do you think this is just sort of a reaction to the pad (i.e. the plasticity, not letting things breathe), or has the pad actually brought back my yeast infection?? I'm really freaked that this thing has come back again..... but I'm hoping that maybe if I lay off the pads for a couple of days the itching will go away. And if it is just a reaction and not an infection, what am I supposed to do? Never wear pads again??? I should add that I have no discharge and no pain (well, besides those nasty cramps). Thanks in advance...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Vaginal itching caused by maxipads?

Some women get itching/thrush-like symptoms from the hormonal change which occurs at that particular time of the month. If you think it's due to the pads, try tampons and see how you go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B
Some women get itching/thrush-like symptoms from the hormonal change which occurs at that particular time of the month. If you think it's due to the pads, try tampons and see how you go.

I thought that happened when you ovulated, not when you had your period. Also, I thought that I had a yeast infection once while on my period and the gyn told me (who knows if she was correct?) that you can't have one while on your period, that they go away.

I do know about pads, though. If they are scented or they don't breathe, they can give you an infection. Or, you may just be allergic to the pad.

side note: Proctor and Gamble, who makes pads and tampons, I forget which brand, can't ship them to Japan with any scent. They won't accept them. Same with diapers. Must be something to it.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:25 AM   #4

greeksiren HB User

So, judging from both of your replies, it could EITHER be the start of another infection OR it could just be a "reaction" to the pad not breathing? I guess I just have to wait and see if it goes away. I didn't use a pad last night and the itching seems less severe, but the day has just started, so I guess I have to wait and see! If anybody else has any input, I'd welcome it. Thx.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

I read here once that regular pads and tampons are bleached and that many women are allergic to them. You can react to the material OR geta yeast infection or both. You may want to go to your local organic food store and buy some of their more natural pads. You may also want to look into buying a menstrual cup. There have been several threads on here about them and what it is like to adjust to them.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

I think it could be either, or, too. Does that help?

Most women have yeast (and other flora) in the vagina. The pH of a healthy vagina is on the acidic side (which yeast doesn't care for) but for some women, the pH change during menses is enough to allow the yeast to take off and overproduce, Voila! Yeast infection.
Also, some women are allergic to bleach/perfume/coloring in some pads. Voila! itching

I rest my case. LOL

Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #7

nightangel00 HB User

I do not think that of no breathing. I have used pads all my life and never I have got a yeast infection. And my skin everywhere is ultrasensitive. If the pad is non scented I doubt it could be the pad. You seem to be prone to yeast infection as thats what it sounds. You should look out diets those to minish candida out of your system that will help. I still wonder how many woman get yeast infections. I dont know but I have always used only cotton underwear would that be?

Old 03-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

After rounds of anti-biotics and always asking for Flagyl each time I decided that I wanted to try something more natura. Now, if a yeast infection rears it ugly head I eat a lot of yogurt, not the kind with sugar, but something like Brown Cow. It clears it right up and I don't have to walk around tasting like meds. It balances the yeast that you have in your body.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #9

chasingthetiger HB User

One of my friends is allergic to them and she uses all cotton ones... kind of like something they would give you at a hospital.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #10

duckmaster HB User

When I had my 2 year itch (ugh, don't ask) pads always seemed to ... not be part of the solution. And even after a nice round of diflucan, the pads still cause a bit of itch. I think it's just a ... er ... "swampiness" issue. It's especially been an issue when I'm not on my period but wearing the "preparatory" pads. Fun.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #11

bacbiect HB User

i never use pads anymore, i am faithful to my unscented Tampax Pearl brand. i used to get yeast infections several times a year, usually starting the day before my period. always use unscented pads or tampons, that will help steer infections away.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I used to use Always pads and pantyliners. I had used them for 15 years. All of the sudden one day I was totally allergic to them. I would itch intensely if they touched my skin for just 5 minutes. I also developed other allergies at that same time in my eyes. I must have had some body change all over. Well I switched to Kotex with both pads and pantyliners and have not had a problem since.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #13

greeksiren HB User

Hmmm I wonder if that could be the case with me, as well. I've always used Always maxipads, but all of a sudden I have extreme itching caused by them. As soon as my period ended, so did the itching, and it hasn't been back since. Perhaps I've developed an allergy, as you have. Strange!!!

Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #14
(female)

QtrHrsMomma HB User

I also react to pads ( and everything else under the sun ). I use the cottony cover ones rather than the plasticy ones.

It helps.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #15

greeksiren HB User

Can anybody suggest any particular brands of "cottony" pads versus "plasticy" pads? I was in the store tonight looking at all my options, and it's really hard to tell until you buy the whole package if you're getting one that will be hypoallergenic or not. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Closed Thread