It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #1

Scotchie HB User
Your period after 30...

I know that every woman's body is different, and as such, there is no single physical standard for mother nature, but I was wondering, does a woman's menstrual cycle normally change with age? Though I am and have always been*very* regular with my cycle, I've noticed that after my 30th birthday (I'm now 35) my periods have become lighter and lighter and have gone from 5-7 days in my 20's to less than 3 full days now. I understand that it can also be genetically influenced (my mother reported also having a lighter period after 30) but my twin sister told me she has not experienced this, nor have most of my over-30 female friends.

I've spoken with my GYNO who said it;s totally normal, and that I'm not going through early menapause or anything. I have had some issues with hypothyroidism, but I thought that was supposed to make your period heavier, not lighter. Anyway, I'm sure many women would consider me lucky, but as weird as it sounds, I miss not having what I consider a normal period, at least moderately heavy as it once was. I still get all the cramping and headaches and bloating, but there's not much else to show for all of it!

If anyone else has experienced a change in their cycles as they've gotten older, please let me know.

Thanks!
Mistakes are the portals of discovery

Old 03-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: Your period after 30...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchie
I know that every woman's body is different, and as such, there is no single physical standard for mother nature, but I was wondering, does a woman's menstrual cycle normally change with age?
Absolutely. And it can change with childbirth, too. And stress. And hormones. And..... LOL
Mine changed with all of these. Perimenopause started for me @ age 40 but these days...I'm period-free (wahoooo!).

Perhaps you are also mourning the passage of time and it's effect on you. Life is short so laugh a lot. 'S what I do.

best wishes,

charli
highest wt: 233
203/146/146

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran

robste HB User

My periods began to change when I hit my mid thirties...still always on time every month like clockwork, but the flow would greatly vary from day to day for the 5-6 days I'd get my period....the first day would be light, second day very, very heavy, third day-almost non existant, fourth day heavy, fifth day light, sixth day heavy for part of the day.

Now I'm in my forties (44), and have developed fibroids over the past year & have iron-deficiency anemia due to the fibroids/heavy periods. I'd never in my life been anemic before. Not to scare you or anything...but fibroids are very common in women in their 30-40's. Just let your dr. know if you experience anything out of the ordinary.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #4

Scotchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robste
My periods began to change when I hit my mid thirties...still always on time every month like clockwork, but the flow would greatly vary from day to day .
Thank you Charli and Robste for your replies. It always feels better to know that there are others out there who share your experience and can relate. Charli, I suppose in a way I *am* mourning those early fertile years and I guess that is why my almost non-exsistant periods these days have brought with them a sense of sadness instead of relief. At the same time I noticed the change in flow, I also noticed that I started to get a lot of clotting. I heard somewhere that that can be an indicator of fibroids, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what fibroids are. It just feels so weird after 2 decades of having a heavy flow to not even need to use a maxi pad anymore...I can almost get away with just a strong pantyliner. Oh well, life is change.

Again, thank you both for making me feel more 'normal'.

Take care!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #5

~LoneFoal~ HB User
Thumbs up Re: Your period after 30...

I am 33, and fit in your boat. You've described me to a T. My periods all my life were long, heavy and just dreaded. Since about 29-30, that all changed,I would blame it on BC, but regardless, my periods are now maximum 3 days and light. Contrary to that, my period this month is heavy,,which is very odd. But theres my scenerio lol.
:-)

Old 03-18-2004, 05:44 AM   #6
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

Me three!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 01:29 PM   #7

Scotchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzGal
Me three!!!

I must say, you gals have all helped me to feel more "normal" and much less depressed about the passage of time and the changes that go with it.

Thank you much for your supportive replies!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #8

nightangel00 HB User

Yes and yes. Im 31 and notice its getting a little lighter. Glad that I read this cause I was about to blame it to a strong medication I took a year ago.

Closed Thread