It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 12:28 AM   #1

January_Kitten HB User
Bacterial Vaginosis?

Around my vagina, its red. Sort of itchy, not too bad. There's a whiteish yellowish discharge, mostly white. Kind of an odor, fishy. It burns a little when I pee. I talked to a doctor and she said it sounds like Bacterial Vaginosis. But I was really nervous and forgot to mention that there's a small bump close to my vagina. It looks like a pimple. It sort of hurt, like a zit, for a day, I've had it for a little over a week. It doesnt hurt now, only for that day, it's actually gotten smaller. Could that be herpes? I'm really freaked out. I'm sexually active but I've never had sex without a condom. I've been really tired lately too. I'm hopefully getting examed Friday but I've been so stressed about this for a week and a half. If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #2

wcollins HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis?

I do not know anything about herpes so I cannot relate to this but, I have a problem with bacteria vaginosis a great deal. In fact, I get it constantly. I do know the smell is usually a terrible odor and it does smell sort of fishy. To me, it smells like nothing I have ever smelled before. It is so embarrassing for me. As for the bump, it is probably just a pimple. I have read that it is common to get some pimples around that area at times. I don't know if this helps but, I try. Good Luck. If you have any questions feel free to ask me I will let you know what I know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by January_Kitten
Around my vagina, its red. Sort of itchy, not too bad. There's a whiteish yellowish discharge, mostly white. Kind of an odor, fishy. It burns a little when I pee. I talked to a doctor and she said it sounds like Bacterial Vaginosis. But I was really nervous and forgot to mention that there's a small bump close to my vagina. It looks like a pimple. It sort of hurt, like a zit, for a day, I've had it for a little over a week. It doesnt hurt now, only for that day, it's actually gotten smaller. Could that be herpes? I'm really freaked out. I'm sexually active but I've never had sex without a condom. I've been really tired lately too. I'm hopefully getting examed Friday but I've been so stressed about this for a week and a half. If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #3

annoyed216 HB User

what are the main symptoms of this bacterial vaginosis. because my gyno thought i had yeast infections, because it was itchy and red and there was discharge, but after trying over the counter stuff, prescribed stuff, and diflucan, nothing is working to make it go away and the cultures she takes say there really isnt any yeast present! she is still trying some other cultures to figure out what it is but its driving me crazy. it gets so itchy and irritated that it really hurts and the area seems to always be raw and painful. i need this fixed NOW! i've had it since November and now its march 31st!

Old 03-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #4

mllt HB User

wcollins; you said you have have this constantly.. is there any way to get rid of it? i have been having more disscarge and a weird pasty fishy odor just like you said, is there any medication you can take, if so how long does it take to work.. im not soar or red or irritated in any way. i thought maybe it could have been a reaction to latex?

Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllt
wcollins; you said you have have this constantly.. is there any way to get rid of it? i have been having more disscarge and a weird pasty fishy odor just like you said, is there any medication you can take, if so how long does it take to work.. im not soar or red or irritated in any way. i thought maybe it could have been a reaction to latex?
I had Bacterial Vaginosis a few times and one time when it was really bad with the smell they gave me a strong dose of an antibiotic (wasn't diflucan since thats just for yeast infections) They also gave me a supply of Cleocin which are ovules you insert each night for 3 nights consectuviely. The Cleocin always seems to help when the problem comes back. (however since i'm so paranoid anytime I think the smell is off I use those inserts)

Talk to your gyno about the antibiotcs & Cleocin

Old 04-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #6

journalistic HB User

I just got Bacterial Vaginosis for the first time. It's very easy to find info about its symptoms on the internet. Here's what I found online before going to my gynocologist:

Signs and Symptoms:
-Increased amount of discharge
-Grey/white, thin, watery discharge
-Foul/fishy odor with discharge
-Increased odor to discharge immediately after intercourse

Here's what Bacterial Vaginosis is:

Bacterial Vaginosis
The exact cause of bacterial vaginosis is unknown. Similar to a yeast infection, there is an overgrowth of bacteria, and the delicate balance of the vaginal environment is upset when these bacteria occur in increased amounts. Recurrence of bacterial vaginosis is common and bacterial vaginosis can coexist with other vaginal infections.

I went to see my gyno and this is indeed what I had. She said that there's nothing we do to cause this, and that sometimes there's just an overgrowth of bacteria in the area considering the environment of the vagina -- dark, moist, warm.

Here is a wonderful site that contains info on a few different vaginal infections. They are all pretty similar but it's important to find out exactly which one you have so you can get the right treatment for it. Here's the URL: [url]http://familydoctor.org/194.xml[/url]

The treatment I have is an antibiotic called Metronidazole. You take it for seven days and it is meant to help make the infection go away. But you have to be really careful not to drink alcohol or use ANY products with alcohol in it while taking this pill. I have had to buy a new stick of deoderant (w/o alcohol) and have been unable to use conditioner in my hair because they all use alcohol as an active ingredient. Check the labels on any and everything you use -- shampoos, deoderants, even food.

There is another treatment method. It is cream that you manually put inside your vagina. I opted for the pill, but your gynocologist should give you the option to choose.

I'm really surprised your doctor didn't consider any of the other infections. I really hope you can get treatment for it. Luckily treatment only last seven days with the pill they give you, and it is a fairly common infection, so it's not very serious!

The only thing is -- I didn't have any bumps. So that in itself could mean it's not Bacterial Vaginosis. Please ask your gynocologist to look into it. The worst that can happen is that you need to use some cream or pills for a little while to make it go away.

I hope I've helped.

Last edited by journalistic; 04-03-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

it might be herpies. My friend had that and she had bumps and the outside of her vagina was red. Pretty much all the symptoms you said you had. Usually if you have bv it doesn't show on the outside till it is really bad and I mean having it for a long time. The only other thing I can think of is a yeast infection. Try eating plain yogurt.Don't use any tampons for a week or so. and don't use any scented soap down there. That should help with the irritation. I hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #8

juju316 HB User

I have the bad odor but no redness or itchiness...I have never had an odor before, is there any over-the-counter remedies for the bad odor?

Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #9

journalistic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju316
I have the bad odor but no redness or itchiness...I have never had an odor before, is there any over-the-counter remedies for the bad odor?
It's Bacterial Vaginosis, and there's no over the counter drug for it. You have to get a prescription from your doctor.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #10

Anastacia HB User

wcollins: i am curious just as Mllt is. I've been prescribed meronidazole a few times which is an anit biotic. Its supposed to balance the bacteria in the vagina and has helped me a few times yet 3 weeks after taking this tablet (twice daily for 7 days AVOIDING ALCOHOL IS A MUST!) the infection (so they call it) does eventually keep coming back. Does anyone else have any info on this?
Mllt ask ur Dr for this prescription if u havent had it for BV before because its cure rate is 84-96% and does work for some ppl ) good luck.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #11

Anastacia HB User

I also forgot to add that the first time i had BV i had it for over a year which is probably the reason its taking me so long to rid of it and ive had no lumps etc outside the vagina. This could possibly be natural and nothing to be worried about but if you are worried you should stress this to your Dr.
As for the terrible odour juju, i have been advised now to take metronidazole then take preventatives such as oil of oregano in liquid form, 3-4 drops under the tongue twice daily or boric acid but check with ur Dr before trying this.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #12

kymie HB User

Hello, can you still have bv without any smell? I have the irritation and redness. My doc said she see's nothing wrong. I'am red and she see's nothing. I had no tests done. This is the pits because I'am going to California May 31st and I want this gone. Help!!! Kymie

Last edited by kymie; 04-29-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #13

greeksiren HB User

I'm pretty sure that BV usually has a distinctive odor - make sure to get it checked out!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #14

wvfirefly HB User

I got BV for the first time 5 years ago and I get it every so often. Why?? Who knows. I have never had BV without the dead, fishy smell. I have never had bumps with it, but I have heard that a small pimple can come from a hair being pulled out down there. I always have to take the antibiotic for it (I don't know how to spell it Metroconazole? Someone else mentioned it earlier). It comes in a pill and gel form. The gel has never helped me. Kymie=don't think I'm making light of your problem - I'm not. Have you considered it could be the soap you use to clean with. One time I was red, itchy and raw and my doctor suggested I use a plain soap in that area and I cleared up in about a week. She said that certain perfumes and such can cause problems such as yours. Even if it's a particular soap you've used for years. Also, when I get the BV I ache in my lower abdomen and I get a yellowish-green discharge. Another word of caution - The antibiotic you take for the BV can cause you to get a yeast infection. I've gotten them many times directly following the completion of the antibiotic. My doctor told me that the antibiotic takes all the bactieria- the good and the bad, and this can cause yeast to grow. I take a supplement called acidolphilus every day. It is the same as the active cultures in yogurt (for those of us who can't stand yogurt!!) When I am on the antibiotic, I take it twice a day. The last time I got a BV was the first time it was not followed by a yeast infection. Hope any of this may help!!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #15

MHKyGirl HB User
Question Re: Bacterial Vaginosis?

I too have had reoccuring problems w/BV! I HATE IT! It is such a nuisance! Not only does it affect the way I feel about myself, but it's so hard to try & explain to your partner why you can't have sex. It's embarassing!
This first started about a year ago. I was with a guy for over 4 years & suddenly I kept having BV symptoms. At first I thought it was something I wasn't doing right, health wise, or something maybe he wasn't doing right which was having an affect on me. I went to the doctor & she prescribed Metronidazole in the pill form. I took it as prescribed and it cleared up. Well, ofcourse it came back after having sex again. So I contacted the doctor & they called in the Metronidazole prescription again. Well, ofcourse it cleared up again. BUT it came back. Back to the doctor I went.... She suggested I have my guy take the pills too, b/c she thought maybe he was giving it back to me once I got it cleared up. Well, I did that and I was fine - around that time things weren't so good in our relationship so we ended up breaking up & going our separate ways. So I dunno if he actually took the pills or not, but it doesn't matter since we're not together anymore. His new girlfriend can worry about that!
Anyways -- so now I am seeing a new guy. Well, we hooked up in January & things have been fine up until about two weeks ago. The BV returned! I can't figure out WHY or HOW. But I went to the doctor and actually she is out on maternity leave, so I saw an associate of hers. He prescribed the Metronidazole Gel & Boric Acid suppositories. So I used the gel as prescribed, I used a little tube to insert the gel twice/day for 5 days until I ran out. While doing that I inserted the Boric Acid tablets high in the vagina once nightly only on Mon/Wed/Fridays. I went to the doctor on a Wednesday, so that night I inserted a suppository. The next morning on Thursday I start with the Metro Gel & skipped the suppository that night. The next day I did the gel twice & then the suppository that night. So anyways - my point is - I did all that, but quit using the Boric Acid tablets once I stopped using the Metro Gel. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to keep using the Boric Acid consistently until I have used all of them? There are 24 suppositories in the prescription - thats a LONG time! I had sex with my guy the other night & it had been atleast a week since I had quit the metro gel/boric acid routine and now I think I'm having the BV symptoms. I just don't know what to do at this point - quit having sex all together???? It's just weird b/c I went for awhile having sex without any problems & then it creeps up again. I know BV can crop up b/c of hormonal changes but I'm wondering if it isn't b/c of stress too?? It just makes no sense to me, but I don't want to be medicating myself like this for the rest of my life! It's such a pain! Anyone have any suggestions or any helpful info ??

Closed Thread