It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Homemade douche syringe?

To make a very long story really short and sweet, I'm doing what I can to treat a very annoying yeast infection myself and I want to know if there is any way to make a douche...not the fluid, but the injector syringe sort of thing (whatever it's actually called). I tried to make one once out of a plastic shower gel tube and I think I squirted it just slightly too hard, as I had a slight cramping pain in my groin for a couple of days (whoops...)

I'm asking because I don't want to pilfer one from my mom (I tihnk she'd notice if one was missing out of a box of 4), and I'd feel embarrassed asking for one. Help??

Dark Stranger

Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Homemade douche syringe?

Douching will only make your infection worse. You need to buy some yeast infection medicine from the drug store. It will be in the maxi pad section. If it turns out not to be that, but something else, then only a doctor can help you.

If you have no insurance and money is a problem, then go to planned parenthood where they can examine you and diagnosis you for a small fee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

In an effort to eliminate all natural smells and discharges, a lot of women and girls use douches and feminine deodorants. Remember that the vagina is self-cleaning, so douching is unnecessary. Regular douching can disturb the balance of the normal amount of bacteria found in the vagina which is one way a woman can get vaginitis, an inflammation of the vagina.

If you want to keep your vulva fresh and healthy, take good care of yourself. Eat well, exercise, always wipe from front to back, and wash regularly with gentle soap and water.

You should go to your doctor and get looked at. It's entirely possible that you don't have a yeast infection at all, and could have vaginitis, or an STD of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
To make a very long story really short and sweet, I'm doing what I can to treat a very annoying yeast infection myself and I want to know if there is any way to make a douche...not the fluid, but the injector syringe sort of thing (whatever it's actually called). I tried to make one once out of a plastic shower gel tube and I think I squirted it just slightly too hard, as I had a slight cramping pain in my groin for a couple of days (whoops...)

I'm asking because I don't want to pilfer one from my mom (I tihnk she'd notice if one was missing out of a box of 4), and I'd feel embarrassed asking for one. Help??

Dark Stranger

Old 03-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

No no no...I don't mean real douching...I know that worsens the infection. But I found a remedy for curing yeast infection that calls for a water-hydrogen peroxide solution to be used via douche.

Quote:
You should go to your doctor and get looked at. It's entirely possible that you don't have a yeast infection at all, and could have vaginitis, or an STD of some kind.
I also read about other things that share siilar symptoms of yeast infections, including vaginitis, but there is no grey or green discharge or fishy smell or swelling or redness or pain or anything of the sort that was said for these other illnesses, so I think I will assume that I have a run-of-the-mill yeast infection. Besides, I don't want some stranger touching me in my most protected area only to tell me something I already know; I'll spare myself the embarrassment.

Dark Stranger

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 03-26-2004 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Forgot something...

Old 03-27-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Just because it doesnt have the other common signs of other infections doesnt mean it isnt one of those. Also yeast infections dont have to have all the common signs to be a yeast infection.
Also you are going to have to get use to a doctor looking atyou because if you are sexual active or 18 you need to get yearly pap exams. You dont have to go to some strange docotro you dont know you can go to your regular doctor. You need to know for sure this is a yeast infection and the only way to do that is to get seen by a doctor. Treating what you think is a yeast infection could very easily make things far worse eithr by makeing the infection worse,yourself sick or yes even effect yoru fertility. By that last word I meanyou could make it where having kids isnt possible,that is if you want kids in the future.

It is nothing to be embarresed about since doctors have seen it all. ALso the faster you get over being embarresed the easier breast,pap,and other such exams become.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Look everyone, I know you're all trying to convince me to see a doctor, but it's not going to happen. I still have my dignity, you know. I'm trying not to be mean, but I am being firm here. I hate going to doctors for anything, which is why I didn't speak a word of an ear infection I've had for months until last week. And I especially will not say anything of the infection I have now.

I know how my mom is...she'll tell everyone in the family and all her friends at work that I have a yeast infection, and people in school will find out sooner or later. And I won't stand for such humiliation. I am treating whatever I have myself. If the infection gets worse or I get myself sick, then so be it. When I'm to the point of dying then I'll consider it but I highly doubt a little bacterial infection will do much more to me than cause a little itch. As for making myself infertile, that seriously would not phase me because I hate kids with a passion and I never want them around me.

Like I said, I am sorry for seeming so rude; I know you're all trying to help. But all I truly want to hear is an answer to my question, and if the only answer is "I don't know", then I can accept that and I'll find another way.

And I forgot to add this in my last reply...what I have isn't an STD because I'm a virgin, and after reading another post in this forum concerning wearing panty liners frequently, I can conclude that what I have is a yeast infection very confidently.

I will share this with you all...one evening, I attempted the garlic remedy...where I would take a semi-crushed and completely peeled clove of garlic, wrap it in gauze, tie it with floss, and use it like a tampon. It was slightly uncomfortable, with the tip of the clove poking into me and such, but the next day I swear I hardly scratched or felt the need to scratch at all. But the day after, I dug myself dry. I know what I'm doing.

Let me inquire this...does anyone know if single douches are marketed? I really don't want to buy a huge box just to use one. Please help me with my questions, that is all I ask.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

Hello,
Have you heard of the plain-yogurt remedy? You use it just like you would an over-the counter yeast infection cream, by injecting it into your vagina. Just be sure to get the plain yogurt because if you get some that's sweetened then you'll only be feeding the yeast! I'd say, inject a bunch in before going to bed and do this every night for a week. Adding more yogurt into your diet will help ward off future yeast infections too. I really don't know how to make a homemade douche but, since i myself am not a huge fan of going to the doctor for every little ailment, i thought you might appreciate my input.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Finally, someone who doesn't tell me to go to a doctor! Yes, Surrealmeal, I have heard of the yogurt-tampon remedy and am tempted to try it. Err, well, I don't know if you NEED a tampon or if I can just use a plastic spoon and such Okay that's sick, but nonetheless...

The yogurt thing seems to be popular on the sites I looked at for remedies, so I think I may try it. The only problem will be trying to keep it hidden away from my mom's eyes, because she might try to eat it XD

But thank you for the input, Surrealmeal. I think I may try that home cure in the near future.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-29-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Also if you eat plain yogart regularly it can prevent infections. I did this and it worked wonders for a persistant infection I had years ago.

OKay now I'm NOT going to try and convince you to go to the doctor, but I just wanted to make sure you know all your options. Do you know you can go to Planned Parenthood annonomously? This would be a way for you to take care of yourself without letting your mom know. They have OBGYNs that can treate this without you loosing your dignaty. Just wanted to make sure you knew this. I won't lecture you on anything it's your body I just hope you don't hurt yourself.

You can also buy single treatment yeast infection kits. They aren't the 7 day ones but just a onetime treatment. I haven't tried one but I hear they are pretty good.

As for making your owe douche applicator? I really wouldn't advice doing anything like this. You can buy single dose douches but again douching can make things worse even if it is just water.

Also be sure you're taking your vitamins. That can help with prevention too.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

[QUOTE=JLKH]OKay now I'm NOT going to try and convince you to go to the doctor, but I just wanted to make sure you know all your options. Do you know you can go to Planned Parenthood annonomously?[\QUOTE]

Yes JLKH I have heard of that...I believe it was brought up in a separate post I made in Women's sexual health when I had asked around what I even had. But thank you for your help nonetheless.

I have a couple of questions about the yogurt remedy...does it need to be plain yogurt if you consume it, or can it be flavored? Right now, I'm being forced to eat a carton of yogurt a day (my mom makes me so I can "prevent" a yeast infection...ironic, no?), but I don't think it will benefit me any.

Also, I have read that you use a tampon to inject the yogurt if you decide to perform this remedy more invasively. Must I use a tampon, or can I use a small squeeze bottle instead? I have an empty squeezable lotion container, about 8 inches in length. Could I fill the bottle slightly with the yogurt and inject it like that? The girth of the bottle is very small, so I could get it up there without a problem.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
Veteran

JLKH HB User

[QUOTE=Dark Stranger]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLKH
OKay now I'm NOT going to try and convince you to go to the doctor, but I just wanted to make sure you know all your options. Do you know you can go to Planned Parenthood annonomously?[\QUOTE]

Yes JLKH I have heard of that...I believe it was brought up in a separate post I made in Women's sexual health when I had asked around what I even had. But thank you for your help nonetheless.

I have a couple of questions about the yogurt remedy...does it need to be plain yogurt if you consume it, or can it be flavored? Right now, I'm being forced to eat a carton of yogurt a day (my mom makes me so I can "prevent" a yeast infection...ironic, no?), but I don't think it will benefit me any.

Also, I have read that you use a tampon to inject the yogurt if you decide to perform this remedy more invasively. Must I use a tampon, or can I use a small squeeze bottle instead? I have an empty squeezable lotion container, about 8 inches in length. Could I fill the bottle slightly with the yogurt and inject it like that? The girth of the bottle is very small, so I could get it up there without a problem.

Dark Stranger
The yogurt must contain the active ingredient "acidiphilis," and most flavored yogurt does not. Read the labels to be sure. Sorry but I think it does have to be plain. :\ I know it taste terrible.

As for the inside yogurt treatment the one I heard says to coat a tampon with the yogurt and insert the tampon and leave it there over night (8 hours). Then remove it in the morning. I have not tried this. For some reason it just wigs me out to think of putting a food product in there. But that doesn't mean it doesn't work just saying why I haven't had the guts to do it.

I wouldn't suggest putting it in the bottle and dispensing it that way. The thing is that no matter how well you clean the bottle it will have bacteria on it. Tampons are sterile so if you coat the tampon by say dipping in in the yogart and then inserting it you have a better chance of not also transporting more germs. Just a thought.

Oh hey and also cut back on the sugar you eat... that can help too.

Last edited by JLKH; 03-30-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Try using a water bottle. The yogurt remedy should actually really work well because it contains acidophilus, and acidophilus pills are what I use to get rid of mild yeast infections. No, I DO NOT douche, but I squirt some warm water with some acidophilus tablets mixed in the water into my vagina. I break open the acidophilus capsules and use the powder inside them, and it works wonders. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User

Other people have already given you the home remedy advice I would think of giving (I looked into this stuff recently and tried some of it as well, including the garlic). But I hope you eventually stop thinking of being examined by a gynecologist as losing your dignity. There is nothing wrong with it, and once you get over the initial discomfort it's really fine, especially once you are sexual active and used to having people stick things up there. =X

I don't know how old you are, but once you turn 18 you should get an exam just to get an exam. Just saying. Good luck with the yeast infection thing.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Oh dear, JLHK, I hope I didn't give you the impression that I wanted only you to answer those questions :O I am sory if I made it sound like that.

But thank you all for your help. At some point when I can go to the local supermarket alone, I will buy plain yogurt and tampons (despite how much I hate those annoying little things after I got one stuck inside me and had to brutally yank it to get it out!! Xo) and attempt that remedy. And I'll keep in mind to look for yogurt with the very long "A" name within its contents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
The yogurt remedy should actually really work well because it contains acidophilus, and acidophilus pills are what I use to get rid of mild yeast infections.
Would I need to go to one of those herbal stores to find such tablets or could I find them at my local drugstore. Also, can they be taken orally and yield the same results?

I'm sorry for being so inquisitive, but I'm a self-healer.

Thank you all again.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Awhile back, someone posted about freezing the plain yogurt in non-latex gloves and inserting half of a frozen finger pop into her vagina at night. Once it is frozen, it's probably a lot like inserting a tampon without an applicator. That might be something you could try. Just make sure to buy the one with the live cultures. As for what to eat once this one is gone, you can always add fruit to the plain yogurt and eat it that way or blend it with fruit and natural fruit juices to make a smoothie. The fruit does have a lot of sugar, but you will get a lot less than if you buy it sweetened and you can make sure you get the live cultures.

I'm a big advocate of young girls seeing their gyns or even their pediatricians about gyn issues. Just want you to know that when it is time, it is time. Maybe not in this case, although I have heard you should always go to determine what kind of infection you have. But, before you have a serious problem, you need to get used to going. That way, if you ever do have a problem, you won't have to get used to the doc and deal with the anxiety of the health problem all at once. That kind of stress is really bad for our health and it can be avoided.

Talk to your mom and explain that you think your private health issues should stay between you and your doc. My family does the same to me. It actually was a little comforting when no one could figure out what was wrong because then I had help from the whole town. I eventually got over the embarassment because I knew I needed help. Your mom probably hates going to the gyn and she will probably realize that you are growing up and your health is yours now. It's no longer an extension of hers.

Sorry to go off on that. I do feel bad because docs can help with these things quickly and you have been suffering so long. But, I think yogurt sounds like a good, natural cure. I know that if your infection gets out of control, you will see a doc and I have offered a little advice to help you if that becomes necessary.

Last edited by PaNik5717; 03-31-2004 at 05:09 PM.

Closed Thread