It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #1

journalistic HB User
Menstrual cycle and lower back pain.

Hey everyone. This is my first post here but I've read a few threads here and there. I'm curious about some lower back pain I've been experiencing during my menstrual cycle, and I'd just like some info on whether or not this is normal.

During my menstrual cycle (not before or after), lower back pain is stressed. Sitting in one seat for long periods of time seems to aggravate the area, but it hurts regardless of what I'm doing. I have a slight curvature in my spine in the area where the pain is usually based. During scoliosis checks in K-12 school they found I had a slight curvature, but it wasn't curved enough to be scoliosis. I got this problem from my dad, who also has a slight curvature to his spine.

Also, I'm currently on Metronidazole for bacterial vaginosis, and have taken two Naproxen tablets (prescribed by my gynocoligst along with the other medication) in the past 48 hours for cramps.

Could the medication and/or the curvature to my spine be stressing the pain? Is it normal to get nagging lower back pain during your menstrual cycle? Is it safe to take something like Ibuprofen for this during my period?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by journalistic; 04-02-2004 at 10:59 PM.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:56 AM   #2

journalistic HB User
Re: Menstrual cycle and lower back pain.

Can a moderator please move this to the Women's Health section? I think it may fit there better. Thanks.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 04-03-2004 at 09:37 AM. Reason: No edit, Moved to the Women's Heath section.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

lovethemusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by journalistic
Hey everyone. This is my first post here but I've read a few threads here and there. I'm curious about some lower back pain I've been experiencing during my menstrual cycle, and I'd just like some info on whether or not this is normal.

During my menstrual cycle (not before or after), lower back pain is stressed. Sitting in one seat for long periods of time seems to aggravate the area, but it hurts regardless of what I'm doing. I have a slight curvature in my spine in the area where the pain is usually based. During scoliosis checks in K-12 school they found I had a slight curvature, but it wasn't curved enough to be scoliosis. I got this problem from my dad, who also has a slight curvature to his spine.

Also, I'm currently on Metronidazole for bacterial vaginosis, and have taken two Naproxen tablets (prescribed by my gynocoligst along with the other medication) in the past 48 hours for cramps.

Could the medication and/or the curvature to my spine be stressing the pain? Is it normal to get nagging lower back pain during your menstrual cycle? Is it safe to take something like Ibuprofen for this during my period?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well, i would say it is perfectly normal for some people to have pain in their lower back during their cycle. ibuprofen or some kind of ovt pain reliever is perfectly safe. You may want to ask your health care provider about the possibility of cysts in your ovaries. Cysts are normal in many women. in fact most women get several of them monthly, but they diminish during your period. However, sometimes they dont just go away like normal. I once had terrible back pain in my lower back that was worse when sitting, and i dealt with it for 3 months until my doctor said the reason i had the pain was because i had a cyst in my ovaries the size of a baseball. so you may want to ask about that possibility. of course there are many other factors that could contribute to your pain, but i hope this has helped.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hi. I am not completely sure of your question and when you have the back problems, but I know during the first few days of my period and the day before I have extreme lower back pain. It is always how I know when my period is about to start.
Since going on the pill it hasn't been as bad, but when I was younger I would be woken in the night crying from the pain.. and then the next morning I would have started bleeding.
Studying for long periods is also hard during my period as I get the lower back pain. It makes me feel nauseous.

I take lots of pain-killers during the first 24-36 hours of each period. It is all I can do if I have any work that needs to be done in those days. i can't see how it is a problem.

and for me the reason for the back pain is due to endometrisosis. apparantly back pain with periods is one of the common signs of endo.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 04-03-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I get lower back pain too with periods. I recomend you also visit a chiropractor to check your back. They take Xrays and if there is a problem with your back they would pick it up.

Closed Thread