It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #1

justaguy78 HB User
Can a guy contract vaginitis?

About a year ago my girlfriend complained of discharge. Not soon after, it burned when I urinated, almost like my pee had to break through a seal. She goes to her doctor. Comes back claiming bacterial vaginitis, and we have to take pills twice a day for like 10 or so days. She's on the pill, so we haven't used condems for a couple of years. She had never had a BV infection previously, and not since.

Question: This came at a time when their was a good possiblity she had been with someone else. Everything I read about BV rarely mentions men, and rarely mentions painful urination. Please Help me. I just want to be sure it wasn't chlamydia, etc, and am searching for answers. And I don't want to ask her anymore, because I don't know much about it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Can a guy contract vaginitis?

Vaginitis can be caused by any of the following:
1) Trichomoniasis - a sexually transmitted protozoan. The causative organism may inhabit the vagina for years without causing symptoms. Males who catch this can suffer from urethral discomfort, inflammation of the head of the penis and signs of nonspecific urethritis.
2) vaginal fungus called Candida Albicans. Candida infection of the penis is more common among uncircumcised than circumcised men, and may result from sexual intercourse with an infected partner. Infection usually results in inflammation of the head of the penis.
3) a bacteria that are normal inhabitants of the vagina, but for unknown reasons multiply and cause an offensive, fishy smelling discharge. This is called nonspecific vaginitis.
4) can be caused by a reaction to spermicidal creams used with barrier contraceptives, to chemicals in vaginal douches, or to soaps, bath oils or bath soaps.

I do not know if men can catch #3 & #4.

I hope this information was helpful to you. If your symptoms went away with the medication, then you should be alright.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy78
Comes back claiming bacterial vaginitis, and we have to take pills twice a day for like 10 or so days.
I hate to say it, but I have had many, many yeast infections, and also many cases of BV. I have NEVER been given pills for either infection. Yeast infections are usually cured by a cream or suppository, although there is a pill to take, but it is a one shot deal...1 pill, not 10 days. For the BV, I have always been given a cream suppository too, never pills. Also, these infections are quite common for women, and I have never heard of a GYN requiring the male to be treated for them also, unless the the infection is recurring in the female. The usual treatment for an STD such as trich or clamydia is about a 10 day course of antibiotics.

That being said, even if it was an STD, you never know if you may have even been the one who had it and gave it to her. Also, she could have had it for months or even years before being diagnosed, they can lay dormant for a long time. So, there is always a good chance that she may have had it before being with you, and symptoms just showed up, or you were infected before being with her, but never showed any symptoms....but being in your situation, it would make me go, hmmmm...

Old 04-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #4

marcen HB User

BV is often treated with metronizadole (flagyl) in tablet or capsule form, although doctors sometimes prescribe the gel also. Generally, the male partner is not treated, but some doctors might have both the woman and her partner treated. So it is impossible to say whether or not she had BV. The best thing you can do is ask her and , also, get checked out for STDs if you are worried. There are exceptions, but, if she had anything too serious, I would expect most doctors would have had you come in to be checked out as well, rather than giving her a prescription for you.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #5

marcen HB User

Also, while women may experience burning upon urination or after urination, men typically do not have any symptoms - men can carry the bacteria that cause bv in the urethra but do not actually contract bacterial vaginosis themselves. My advice would be to see a doctor with this question.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #6

blueberrymdm HB User

So i was just diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis which is not an STD and probably happened because I was on antibiotics- for this infection my boyfriend did not need to be treated. I only had to take one dose of an antibiotic for this. There is however, something called vaginitis which is an STD and can only be contracted by having intercourse with someone who is infected with it. It can take anywhere from 5-28 days for someone to show symptoms of vaginitis. If this is what your girlfriend had than you need to be treated. Because what's going to happen is that you two are just going to keep infecting each other. It gets confusing because the two infections have such similar names but are completely different.

Closed Thread