It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
What can cause a late period?

My period is almost 60 days late.

I am not pregnant and had many blood tests taken to find out why.

They tested: FBE; E/LFTs; TSH; Se B-HCG; oestrogen, progesterone; LH; FSH; proclactin; and androgens.

They were all normal. I was only told by the nurse and can't discuss with the doctor for 3 weeks... so does anyone have any ideas?

I stopped taking the pill on February 5, and then had bleeding on the 8th. That was my last 'period'.

Thanks so much.

Old 04-08-2004, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: What can cause a late period?

I am having the same problem here. Although I have never been on any kind of b.c. I am almost 32 years old, and have history of endometriosis. I went for my pap a month ago, it came back slightly abnormal. I am "supposed" to go the 16th for a colposcopy for further investigation--BUT--if my period decides to show up...I will have to postpone it. Alot of people will blame it on stress....I am NOT stressed. Concerned, yes, but not stressed. I am going to the GYN today because I am on day 45 and have yet to start---been in big pain for over a week now. So, not sure what is going on. I have taken 3 pg tests in the last week and a half and definitely not pregnant. Maybe??? I may have some kind of answer this evening. But thought I would let you know that you are not alone out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

A thyroid disorder can effect the menstrual cycle.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hello. Yes. It is always good to know you're not alone.
I have had pains that made me think I would have my period any day.. but it has been happening for a long, long time now.

I have been told I have endo too, but I haven't ever missed a period before.

I didn't think I was stressed either... but I have been waking up every morning hoping for a period. Maybe just thinking/hoping does something to make it late. I have no idea.

I have had 3 blood tests within the last time I could have become pregnant, and none of them have been positive, so I am pretty sure I can say I'm not pregnant.

And thanks for the suggestion on the thyroid, but I checked what all of the tests were checking for and one was thyroid problems, and the results were apparantly normal. So I still don't know.

And I am 20 years old, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

I have been the same way, pain making me think that "today will be the day", but nothing happens. In fact, I started swelling night before last in my stomach, which really scared me and my husband. I swelled so bad that the top of my stomach felt that it was stretched as far as it could go. I havent hurt this bad since 2000--when I was taking Lupron Shots for the endometriosis. I have always---ever since my very first period--had irregular cycles, only twice have I went 40 days---the last time was at least 6 years ago. Other than that, its anywhere between days 24-36. I havent been stressed---but these last few days have gotten to me, because I am concerned about what is going on. I had my thyroid checked in 2002--but it was fine then, but I figure they may want to check it again, to be certain.

You being only 20---thats sad to have to go through this at such a very young age. And I really dont mean to put a damper on things for you---but it is true that endometriosis can affect fertility. Luckily, I had my 2 girls before I was diagnosed. My husband and I havent used protection in 8 years--of any kind---so, that pretty much tells me that my days of having kids are over with. So, this is really something you should really think about. (I was diagnosed 10 years ago--a couple of months after my last daughter was born). Had I been the type to put a career or having fun first, before having a family---its scary to know that I would have lost out on having kids at all.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

Just got back from the GYN and just wanted to let you know what they told me. They didnt do much testing--just urine to check for UTI and done a pelvic. Her explanation of what has happened is:
Once a month, you develop a cyst on your ovary--the cyst holds your egg, when its time to release it, it slowly opens and releases. Mine failed to open, therefore, my body didnt know it was time to menstruate. The pain I have been having is due to the fact that the cyst has ruptured, leaking out the fluid that it contained. She prescribed Provera----a pill I am to take for 10 days--that will cause my period to start anywhere between now and the 19th. I am not sure why your GYN hasnt given you this pill--or why they are putting you off. Why dont you call and ask about it? The day I called to make my appt, the nurse offered to call me in the Provera--but I declined because of the procedure that I have to go in for on the 16th--she and I questioned it first, then decided to hold off until I saw the dr today. Just thought that I would let you know this.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hey. Thanks for letting me know this.
I haven't really had any ovarian pain for about three weeks now. The rest of the time it is just cramping and bad lower back ache.

I was very swollen and bloated one night. It hurt to move. Since then I seem to blow up every day if I eat anything at all.

I thought that anywhere between 21-35 days was considered regular.. or does it have to be that amount of days every month? That makes sense. Maybe I am not so regular then. Most of the time my periods were 30-37 cycles.. occasionally only 21. I have been on the pill continously for a year though.. and I want to go back to that when/if I get my period next.

I don't know why they don't know what is causing mine. It isn't anything hormonal or it would have be picked up in the tests. I guess it could be stress.. although I don't usually get stressed too much.

It is now 61 days since the first day of the last 'period'. It is a bit of a worry. I don't think anything will happen unless I make an appointment for after the Easter break.. in three weeks time. I hope I will have a period by then though.

I'm not sure what I should so now. I keep expecting to get my period.

Closed Thread