HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   Upcoming Surgery & Acrylic/Artificial Nails (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/165576-upcoming-surgery-acrylic-artificial-nails.html)

robste 04-14-2004 01:31 PM

Upcoming Surgery & Acrylic/Artificial Nails

I will be having surgery (a hysterectomy) in a few weeks. I know that you are supposed to remove any nailpolish from your nails prior to surgery.

I have artificial/acrylic nails glued on top of my natural nails. Is it okay for me to keep my artificial/acrylic nails, but just remove the polish so that they will be clear? Or will I need to remove my artificial/acrylic nails?

I don't want to have to remove the nails if I don't have to.

Dakota 04-14-2004 02:35 PM

Re: Upcoming Surgery & Acrylic/Artificial Nails

Take them off. Looking at the color of the nails is one of the ways they can tell how your oxygen flow is. (So I've been told)....And I've been there done that....my doctor told me to remove them.

robste 04-14-2004 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Dakota]Take them off. Looking at the color of the nails is one of the ways they can tell how your oxygen flow is. (So I've been told)....And I've been there done that....my doctor told me to remove them.[/QUOTE]

Dakota, thanks for the info. Seems I'm getting different answers from different people...I thought the oximeter they put on your finger tells how your oxygen flow is, so they don't really need to see the color of your nails, but I may be wrong. Thanks, Robin

~Smitten~ 04-14-2004 04:05 PM

What you need to do is ask your doctor and even call the surgery center/hospital to see what their standard procedure is. I had a hysterectomy 7 weeks ago and was able to keep my nails on, but I did have to take the polish off. I have my belly button pierced too and they let me keep a plastic barbell in there so it wouldn't close. It all depends on what they say, but make sure you ask before taking them off. I've met some who had to take them off, and some like me who didn't. Good luck!

Blondee15 04-14-2004 06:12 PM

It depends on how long they are. I would get them cut down to as short as possible for acrylics..I have had them for 4 years, have had asthma for over a year now & everytime I go 2 the ER/hospital or pulmonologist they do a pulse oximetry which means a thing clipped over your finger. They can't read it if your nails are too long. Basically it just tells your oxygen saturation levels. It can be important in gauging anemia/bleeding, so I would have them cut down. You don't need to take them off.

robste 04-15-2004 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=Blondee15]It depends on how long they are. I would get them cut down to as short as possible for acrylics..I have had them for 4 years, have had asthma for over a year now & everytime I go 2 the ER/hospital or pulmonologist they do a pulse oximetry which means a thing clipped over your finger. They can't read it if your nails are too long. Basically it just tells your oxygen saturation levels. It can be important in gauging anemia/bleeding, so I would have them cut down. You don't need to take them off.[/QUOTE]

:wave: Blondee, I'm learning something new from each response to my initial posting! Thanks for letting me know that they use the oximeter to gauge anemia/bleeding. I have iron-deficiency anemia, so that is important to me!

I guess I should find out exactly from the hospital whether or not I can keep my artificial nails on...they are already filed short...just about 1/8"-1/4" past my fingertips. If I have to remove them, I'd like to do it now, so by the time I have surgery, they'd grow a little & it won't look like I bit my nails to the quick, so to speak. Hmmm...I just am not sure who to call to ask this question! Do you think I should call my doctor's office or call the hospital directly? If I were to call the hospital, who in the world would I ask for to ask questions about artificial nails? lololol. -Robin

alleycat 04-15-2004 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=robste]I will be having surgery (a hysterectomy) in a few weeks. I know that you are supposed to remove any nailpolish from your nails prior to surgery.

I have artificial/acrylic nails glued on top of my natural nails. Is it okay for me to keep my artificial/acrylic nails, but just remove the polish so that they will be clear? Or will I need to remove my artificial/acrylic nails?

I don't want to have to remove the nails if I don't have to.[/QUOTE]

If you are unsure you should call up the surgen and ask. It is my expereince that you really shouldn't wear them. When I had my tonsils out I wasn't aloud but difrent surgons require diffrent things.

Saka 04-15-2004 07:21 PM

If you call the hospital just ask the receptionist who to speak to. That is what they are there for.

As for taking off your nails, a girlfriend of mine went in for surgery and only had to remove the polish, not the nails.

robste 04-23-2004 11:35 AM

Hi everyone...well, I went to the hospital today for some pre-op testing, and I met with a hospital nurse who went over some procedures with me. I asked her about the artificial nails...and she told me no artificial nails, no acrylic over nails, and no nail polish is allowed. The reason is because in addition to the oximeter, they need to see your skin color underneath your nails. I guess every hospital is different. It's a good thing I went ahead & removed my artificial nails a few days ago anyway. But, now I have those ugly looking stubby nails. I put a good clear nail strengthener on them, and I am putting on one coat each day. I'll have to let them grow out thoroughly so the "thin" part will be gone...so, I'm hoping by the time I finish recouperating at home to at least have some decent looking natural nails. I don't want them real long anyway, just about 1/4" past the tip. -Robin

Dakota 04-23-2004 01:02 PM

Goodluck with your surgery :D

robste 04-23-2004 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Dakota]Goodluck with your surgery :D[/QUOTE]

:wave: Thanks Dakota...I'm usually posting on this board and also the Cosmetics boards, but you probably won't see any posts from me next week, since I'll be having surgery. Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop computer...if I did, the hospital told me I could bring it with me to use, lol. -Robin

~Smitten~ 04-23-2004 03:28 PM

Well that really stinks that you had to remove them! I'm glad I didn't have to or I'd have been ticked, lol. Good luck with your operation, and yeah...laptops do help! Mine was a lifesaver against boredom in there!