It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #1

Broadwaygirl03 HB User
Skin infection and biopsy vs YI?

So I went to the doctor for the 1000th time for my ever-present yeast infection. Last time she put me on diflucan every 72 hours for three days and on my last check up she said the yeast wasn't there anymore, so all better. But she did notice I was swollen and red and yucky. She mentioned that I should get a biopsy of the skin because it may be a skin infection. She said the results are no big deal, they just treat it with different creams. Should I get this done? I've done EVERYTHING in attempts to get this yeast infection. And she said, like my other doctor (I went for a second opinion) that inside the yeast is pretty cleared up, the skin is just irritated. I've had it for so long they've both ruled out the common things like soap or certain types of pants.

I am just wondering because it definitly isn't just a skin infection. I still get yeast infections with my period each month. The intensity of the symptoms varies, but something is always there. I may not have the yucky discharge but I am always swollen and red and itchy. Do you think this skin biopsy would help? Has anyone gottan one before?
~Into the Woods

Old 05-18-2004, 07:11 AM   #2

MHKyGirl HB User
Re: Skin infection and biopsy vs YI?

I know what you're going thru w/the yeast infections... It's definitely worth a shot to see what could be causing the problem. Atleast when the results come back, you can rule out something, or you'll know something. Then maybe if it is some type of skin infection, they can treat that -- but I hope whatever they treat you with doesn't make another yeast infection flare up! It's a neverending vicious cycle!! Sometimes I absolutely HATE being a woman!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #3

contentspirit HB User

It can't hurt to have the test done. However, it could still be yeast, as the yeast can be in your intestines. You might want to do a Candida search on the web to learn more about it. I'm a yeast magnet, and after a year of never ending problems, I did a search and found out a lot more about Candida, and at the same time came across ThreeLac, an all natural product for treating Candida. You may want to try it if your problems continue. I swear by it -- it gave me a new life after a lot of Candida related misery.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Inactive

ashpie HB User

you just mentioned me...After 15 months of burning and irritation and redness and a million different docotrs I finally went back to my dermatologist and she did a biopsy but not on the area that bothers me on a area that was redder..it wasn't bad and it came back that I have some sort of unspecific inflammatory condition..I then went back to my ob/gyn (I am pregnant ) to see if there was anything I could use and he examined me and said I am suffering from vulvar dystrophy..the area above my urethra is starting to turn white from the normal pink..I would def. get the biopsy..I am going to have another after I have the baby..do you have itching or burning? I just suffer from constant rawness and burning..

Old 05-18-2004, 07:21 PM   #5

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

I have itching. My mom always blamed it on my pants. Today in class I thought I was going to DIE, and I was wearing a skirt so the pants aren't it. On the last time I went to see my real doctor she had checked of 'vulvaitis'. What did that mean? The second doctor mentioned that she didn't think it was that candida, altough I'll check it out to see what it is. Thanks for all the info.
~Into the Woods

Old 05-19-2004, 03:14 AM   #6

MHKyGirl HB User

You might mean "vulvitis" and I did an internet search on that & found this: "If treatment of vulvitis is not very effective, further evaluation may include biopsy of the skin to rule out the potential of vulvar dystrophy (a chronic vulvar skin condition) or vulvar dysplasia, a precancerous condition. A biopsy may also be necessary if any skin lesions are present." at [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001445.htm[/url]

And while I was on that page, I clicked on this word "vulvovaginitis" and read this: "Nonspecific vulvovaginitis (where no causative organism or irritant can be identified) can be seen in all age groups, but it occurs most commonly in young girls before puberty. Once puberty begins, the vagina becomes more acidic, which tends to help prevent infections. " at this link: [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000897.htm[/url]

So I definitely think a biopsy would help!

Closed Thread