It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Red face Can ovarian cysts cause this much pain??

Hi,
I posted earlier today about my us results. I have had pelvic pain for awhile now and I found out today that I have multiple cysts on my right ovary.

I am in so much pain tonight I can hardly stand it. I feel sharp stabbing pains in my lower right abdomen anytime I move. I can barely walk. My Dr. had labs done earlier today to rule out appendicitis. Can ovarian cysts cause this much pain??
Hilery

Old 05-19-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Re: Can ovarian cysts cause this much pain??

Hi Hilery

From my personal experience, yes it can be that painful.. I've had problems with cysts in/on my right ovary off and on for about 3 or 4 years now (at least that's when it was first diagnosed). MANY times, I've ended up in the ER because of severe pain only to find out that it was the cysts causing it. When they are "acting up", just moving can hurt like crazy!! Especially getting up from a sitting position.. it's almost like something is pulling in there.

I've just switched GYNs this past January, and I haven't been to my new one yet.. I have other problems I've been worrying about more. Well until now (see above thread lol). My old GYN wasn't very helpful.. basically she told me that all women will have this problem and they'll just "watch them" for a while.. well they haven't grown much more as of last year, so they really just stopped caring it seemed!! I just finally got insurance this Jan, so I switched doctors.

I was told that BC pills can help, but they've always made me sick, so I decided not to go that route myself. Maybe that's something that you can look into? Make SURE you let them know how painful it is!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Dee,
Thank you so much for your reply. I wasn't sure if the cysts could be the cause of my pain because my mom had an ovarian cyst several years ago and said it didn't bother her at all. I was in so much pain last night, I almost had my husband take me to the ER. Thankfully, it's a little better this morning. I'm going to call my Gyn's office today for an appt.
Thanks again,
hilery

Old 05-19-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
(female)

Dee74 HB User

You're welcome

BTW, I just read your other thread about your ultrasound results. Your problem sounds practically identical to mine!!!

I have multiple small cysts, the largest measuring 1.4 something cm in diameter, and a bit of "free fluid" - from what was explained to me, was possibly because of ruptured cysts. The one large cyst is the one that causes me the pain. It hasn't gone away like most of the others do, but has barely grown in size so they weren't worried. Plus it's fluid filled - no solid parts. When I was last examined, she pressed on that one (as they always do.. "does THIS hurt?".. well DUH!) and I about came off the table. It's in an area, close to the adenexal (sp?) area, or something like that. Which from what she explained, is why it hurts so much.. now don't ask me what that area is lol.

It doesn't seem to act up as often anymore, I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or not. But usually once a month, right when I'm ovulating, that's when the pain hits hard for 1 or 2 days. Plus I'll get all constipated and really bloated.. almost like there's alot of swelling going on or something.

Good luck!! I KNOW how painful it can be... gosh I hate being a woman sometimes!!

Last edited by Dee74; 05-19-2004 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Dee,
Thank you, I feel so much better after reading your post. I am around my "ovulation time", so maybe that's why I've been in so much more pain over the last few days. My lower abd has also been very swollen or bloated. I was scared I had some sort of infection or inflammation going on. I was ok this morning until I started to cough...OMG!...it felt like someone was stabbing a knife into my lower abdomen.
Take care,
Hilery

Old 05-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
(female)

Dee74 HB User

Glad to help a bit I know it helps to know you're not alone!!

I would still call your Gyno though, you might want to make sure nothing else is going on. Just in case!!

Old 05-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #7

google2007 HB User

Hi ladies, I all so have had cysts for many years. This last one I have had for 2 months and it is now complex. The pain can bring you to your knees. I just went to see a new gyn and he said the size of the cyst: 3.85 by 4.65 : shouldnt be causing me the pain. Can you believe that? I wanted to say well if you had one of one your ********* do you think it would hurt? I am really worried where it is now complex. Any of you all ever had a complex cyst? Did it go away on its own?

Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I just talked to a nurse at my Gyn's office and she said there was no way these cysts were causing my pain. She said that they were too small and to talk to my GP about other possible causes. Now, I'm frusterated. What else could be causing my pelvic pain? Any ideas?
Thanks,
hilery

Old 05-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #9

blj97 HB User

Did they find endometriosis too? When I had my ovarian cyst they saw that I had the endo too and it really seemed to be alot worse when I would start my menstrual cycle. I had surgery and it went away for awhile but came back so I was put on Lupron Shots that make you go through a menapausal state for the time you are on them. Well that worked for awhile too, but now I am on Celebrex when I get pain and a new BC pill that only allows me to get my period once every 3-4 months. so far so good, but I wont know until I get my period in 2 months talk to your Dr about endometriosis though it is very painful and my cyst was 4cm at one point, but when the pain was the worse it was all the way up to 8cm go when it hurts and have the internal ultrasound they are better. Good Luck

Old 05-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I had a transvaginal ultrasound along with a complete abdominal ultrasound. Would they have been able to tell if I had endo from that? The us report said that everything else looked normal except for having one cyst on my left ovary and multiple, small cysts on my right ovary.
Hilery

Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #11

blj97 HB User

Im not sure when they found the endometriosis, but they removed it when they went in to remove my cyst I think they might have to do Laproscopy to see endometriosis though? But Im not positive.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #12

always HB User

the cyst i had was 5.5cm by about 4 cm... i don't care what they say... but those things can cause a lot of pain!... i don't know, but i'd maybe check it out with your gyno and your doc to see what you can do... and what can be done... [mention endo maybe? see if you can get some info on that...]

i hope everything works out...
take care and best wishes
~always

Old 05-31-2004, 10:39 PM   #13
(female)

fawn512 HB User

CAn someone having PCOS not experience pain?

Coz i was diagnosed with PCOS, and it didnt hurt. Is it possible to have cyts in ur ovaries yet you don't have PCOS?

Old 06-02-2004, 03:34 AM   #14
Veteran

Bella535 HB User

Hi, last night I went to the emergency room because I was in so much pain and when I called my doctor she told me I may have a tubual pregnancy..........so of course I went to get it checked out. They told me that I have and ovarian cyst thats about 3 cm. I may have to have it removed if it continues to be so painful ( I even feel the pain shooting down my thighs!) My question was if I am actually ovulating or not becuase I have a history of not ovulating

Please reply, Thanx

Last edited by Bella535; 06-02-2004 at 03:35 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Hi I have been diagnosed with endometriosis....I have 3 small cysts on right ovary, they are so small 1.5 or something but I tell you these little blighters cause me the most unbelievable pain, I have had a ruptured appendix in the past and the pain is up there with that!

I get the pain on the first day and then it is gone by the second. I feel really sick and ill. I also get real tired and pms type symptoms a week b4.

On the first day I get my hot water bottle ready, my pain/inflammation drug and sit it through. I have to take the day off of work everytime.
I have been offered surgery but I know they come back so have decided to see if I can have an affect on them through diet and supplements, homeopathy/acupuncture and herbal medicine I am trying everything!
I will let you all know how I get on and if I can reduce the cysts.

L

Closed Thread