It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Inactive

honeeey HB User
Tampons...help!

Hey, i was wondering if someone can help me, because I really want to use tampons, but i just can't...I don't know...i've tried loads of times, and i just can't get it in(no matter what position/angle i try) I've tried to put a finger in, and it goes in...(not v. easily though-it kinda hurts), but the tampon doesn't! I don't know what to doooo! Is it possible that the opening is just too narrow? i know i can get a finger in, but it's really hard! plus, when it gets saturated, will it hurt to take it out, since it becomes wider??!?!?!
pleeease help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #2

Jenneh HB User
Re: Tampons...help!

make sure you are using the smallest tampon possible... tampax mini or smthing ... it should be extremely easy to slide in .. GROSS, but the blood acts as the lubrication fluid... if your using a tampon thats too big, it will be hard to get in and out, it wil be very very painful and uncomfortable. you shouldnt be in any pain once its placed correctly. make sure u follow the instructions given on the leaflet things...

as for taking it out, no it shouldnt hurt at all, cos, yes it expands, but GROSS AGAIN, its soaked with blood, acting as another lubrication fluid that makes it easy to slide out.

maybe u shud talk to ur mum about this or smthing? just to make sure.

Jen xxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

how old are you? when I was 13 I couldn't get tampons in cuz it hurt so bad. When I got older it got so much easier

Old 05-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
Inactive

honeeey HB User

im 16...I don't know why I'm finding it so difficult!!!

Old 05-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

SuEstrellita HB User

I tried several times and didn't have success until right before my Senior year in High School - I was 17. Make sure you're relaxed and again, read the leaflet, it's acutally pretty helpful. I'm also going to suggest a plastic applicator. It went in a lot easier for me than cardboard the first few times. I think Playtex Slimfits were the first ones I was able to use...worth a shot. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Inactive

honeeey HB User

well, im a bit confused about the applicators...i tried it now, and i got the outer applicator in, but then i started to push the other one(im not sure if this makes sense) and it hurt, so i just stopped. I'm really confused and worried...are you supposed to put the whole of the applicator in and then push with the other one, so that the tampon goes in, and then take both out? Won't the tampon come out too??? Also, doesn't the tampon go waaay too far that way(with the applicator)???
well, at least i managed to get the applicator in! Before, I couldn't even do that!

Old 05-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #7

ashley123 HB User

Hold the tampon applicator in your right hand if you are right-handed, or left if left-handed. Use your thumb and middle finger to hold the bottom of the larger, outer tube. Point the tip of the applicator toward your vagina, facing slightly towards the back. The smaller tube should be pointed away from your body. Use your other hand to open your vagina. Place the tip of the applicator at the opening of your vagina. Gently push the smaller end of the applicator in until it is completely inside the larger outer tube. This pushes the tampon into your vagina and out of the tube. With your thumb and middle finger still on the outer tube, release the smaller tube and let the strings dangle freely. Gently pull the two tubes out together. When you are ready to remove the tampon, gently pull the withdrawl strings down and forward. The used tampon may be flushed down the toilet.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:46 AM   #8

emmabee HB User

i remember when i was younger i couldnt get tampons in either but thats because i was expecting them to just slide in too easily. its good to put the tampon in when blood is coming out because like it was said before, it actually acts as lubricant. I don't know anyone who can comfortably put a tampon in when theyre "dry" OOOh god that hurts.

you honestly just have to get used to shoving it up there. if ur a virgin, it might hurt a little, but u will get used to it bcuz i never thought i would and now its cool applicators are the best, i find them much easier to use. look at the diagram in the instructions, it shows u which way to point it, relax yourself and push it up. once its full, it slides out. might feel a bit uncomfortable but just keep pulling the string, maybe even use ur muscles, push them as if ur peeing bcuz if ur not relaxed itll make it harder.

Last edited by emmabee; 05-23-2004 at 02:48 AM.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #9

brandii9 HB User

Nice topic huh ? *laugh*

I know the bleeding acts as a lubricant of sorts but at times i had trouble using tampons too. I tried coating the tip/end of the tampon with some vasoline and that seemed to help.

Good luck ... no matter what you use, periods are such a curse *laugh*

p.s. to the last post *millions of women would disagree with you ~ smile* .. Tampons are ok (medically) when used according to the instructions. I accept they aren't terribly ecologically friendly but they sure make life much more liveable for one week every month.

Last edited by brandii9; 05-23-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #10
(female)

crowgirl HB User

I can also recommend trying applicator tampons first (mini size). I don't know if you can get ones made of 100% natural fibres, but those should be safe if used properly (see the instruction leaflet for details). Don't worry about inserting them too far; that's not possible anatomically. On the contrary, if you don't push them in far enough, they're going to be very uncomfortable.

Menstrual cups might not be suitable for virgins, so I'd recommend checking manufacturers' websites if you're considering trying those.

HTH!

Old 05-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #11

always HB User

I honestly thought i'd never see the day where there was this major debate on tampons...

it's like a million other things... the opinions can vairy greatly from source to source... person to person... honestly... let's not have blood shed over a tampon discrepancy... she just wanted some help on how to use 'em... not a lecture or textual debate...

in naycase... as many other posters have said... try applicators... they help... and there are ones made for teens... they are less absorbant and should make it a little easier to get them in...
i'm 18 now... senior in high school... and only in the last few months have i actually been able to use them... had the same troubles as you... i found ones that are the gentle glides [i believe, something like that] they make it much easier... being a virgin makes it really difficult... so, i beleive to a degree that my boyfriend may have played a part in the ability to use tampons...
when you put it in... you may want to try with a leg propped up or sitting on the tiolet [i found the leg up is easier...] and go slow!... especially the first few times until you know the curvature... aim towards your extreme lowe back... [talibonish area...]... use the leaflets that accompanies the tampons... it shoudl help...
As for the whole "tampons are the devil" thing going on... it's not neccisarly good to wear them all of the time... i'll grant that, but if you switch between tampons and pads... it helps... when i use them i don't wear them at night, i make sure my hands are clean before insertion and removal... regaurdless of whether you use them or not... you're always at risk of getting an infection... if you keep it clean... you should be okay... by alternating pads and tampons... you allow some of it to cleanse through... i never use them on the last day or two or when it's light... no point...

anyways.... yeah... i beleive i'm done...

Old 05-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #12
Inactive

honeeey HB User

erm...ok, now I'm even more scared of using them! Well, actually, I got it in! It was soo easy this time, I don't know why...maybe it's because i used a different type of applicator. Anyways, I got it in, and it went all the way in...but it was veeeery uncomfortable afterwards!!! It was ok when i was sitting down, but it hurt when I stood up! I couldn't walk or anything(how do people do sport and everything in them?!?!?!), and it was very uncomfortable, so I took it out(which wasn't that easy!). Maybe they're not suitable for virgins??? Because I've noticed that only people who aren't virgins (or at least have broken their hymen) find it comfortable...I don't know...I managed to get it in, but it was uncomfortable for some reason. Does it matter what angle it's at(surely if i managed to get it in, it's right?)?
Maybe it's just uncomfortable for the first time, and gets better later? At the moment, im very put off...plus, im worried that i -might- have damaged my hymen, because when i took it out, it hurt a looot and now...umm i dont know how to say it...now it's more loose and they're more...space...

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Tampons are suitable for virgins, the hole should definatly be big enough, or at least stretch far enough for the tampon to be put in and removed without much trouble - tampons could damage the hymen, were you sure your hymen was not broken previously? Don't be worried about breaking the hymen, I think it is safe to say that it will break eventually anyway.

As for angle, look to be putting it towards the small of your back, now when I first tried to insert a tampon it took while to get it at the right angle, on my first tampon I ended up putting it in at a slightly funny angle and so it didn't go in as far as it was supposed to and it hurt like crazy...that was on top of the soreness from the friction and pain from accidently pushing it into my cervix! It does get easier though.

Last edited by LouiseLaws; 05-23-2004 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #14
Inactive

honeeey HB User

but do you find it comfortable wearing them now???

Old 05-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #15

always HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseLaws
With all due respect always, opinions may vary but the facts do not, tampons do pose a significant risk to health, she may have been only asking for help on how to insert them but the fact she is considering using them suggests strongly to me that she does not know that they are unsafe for women to use. As with anything people should be aware of potential health risks before using something, in the case of tampons as well as putting herself at risk it also poses a risk to others due to manufacturing methods used.
never did i say i disregarded "facts" i know they pose a health risk, pretty well everything these days does [i could make a ridiculously long list of drugs and products but i'll spare everyone...] ... hence why... "look at the leaflet"... it explains TSS and what not... and hey, the boxes have warnings too...
and i'm sorry, i have to strongly disagree with "because she asked for help using them... she does not know they are unsafe" ... that honestly doesn't mean i thing nor is it really logical, i and many others have understood the risks prior to using them and have asked for some imput on them... and i'm confused as to why you continually shot down using tampons, then went on to add some imput on use... my initial purpose to that section of my original reply was to state that sure, there are risks,but i mean... her original post was just to get some imput on using them... and the "facts", well, if you look around, you get different "facts" from various sources... some doctors are against them, others say they are perfectly fine if used properly... hence why i referred to it as an opinion... my apologies for causing that misunderstanding... if tampons a big of a health risk as you seem to be making it... they would have been taken off the market or have a more substantial "warning" and "listing" of potential health risks placed on the box and on a leaflet inside it...

for the virginity thing... virgins can use them... i found them easier to insert after losing it though because my hymen was fully broken... many people's hymens are pretty well broken early on due to activities or sports... make sure it's as far as it needs to be, if it's not far enough in it may cause some discomfort... after a time or two it should get a lot easier to use... ... it's one of those things were... "you get used to it"...

Closed Thread