It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
Inactive

sabrinarose HB User
weakness during period

When I get my period,its sometimes really heavy and I have small clots in it.When I sit down to go to the bathroom (on my first day,heaviest day) sometimes blood just drops right into the toilet.This doesnt happen every period but it does enough times for me to be concerned about it.I used to get really bad cramps,not any more since Ive been on the birth control pill,I now just get the general discomfort of being a girl at that time.I think that I lose too much blood during my period sometimes,my doctor said that it is normal for girls my age (19) to feel weakness and to be a little more pale than usual at this age and he said it gets better as you get older but I was wondering if theres anything I can do to make the weakness go away.
Are there certain vitamins I should take all the time (all month long,not just during my period?) Should I drink more water all month long because I thought maybe it was dehydration from losing that much blood.I was also wondering if I should take iron supplements to make the week feelings go away.Ive had two periods that Ive felt like I was going to faint or pass out and I was very pale.Ive been getting my period since I was 12 so its been about 7 years and when I first started getting it,there was no problems at all,no discomfort.Has anyone had this happen to them? If so,what vitamins or changes in your eating and drinking habbits have you made?

Please reply,thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #2

Jah T HB User
Re: weakness during period

I am not a girl, but you may want to eat more iron rich foods. Meats, Total cereal, leafy green veggies and legumes. Multiple vitamins with iron may help too. Vitamin C is also good, it increase the body's absorption of Iron.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

I used to hate sunny days when on my period because walking to class I would often very nearly faint/pass out.
I would feel nauseous and very weak. I used to have heavy periods with clots also.
Then I went on the pill and I no longer have any problems like that.
Did the pill fix your problem at all? How long have you been on it?
Since I went on it my period is almost half the length and probably 2/3 as heavy. I also can skip my period most of the time.

I saw a gynaecologist about 18 months ago and told him my symptoms. I had chronic pelvic pain and had started my period at 12, like you, and didn't have any pain or discomfort. By the time I was 18 my periods were unbearable, especially moving to university and having to looking after myself. Based on (these and other) symptoms he said I would have endometriosis and that is what I skip my periods for.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran

Saka HB User

I used to have this problem coupled with cramps so bad that it was hard for me to even crawl to the toilet to throw up. Since starting the pill 18 months ago it has gradually gotten better for me.

When it was at it's heaviest it was a challenge getting ready for a shower. I would remove my tampon and by the time I got to the shower it was dripping down my leg. And same when I got out of the shower.

It might take a while for the pill to really kick in but once it does your periods should lessen to some degree.

As for vitamins to take, they recommend taking a B Complex like the anti-stress ones. It is the B vitamins that we are often low in due to our periods and the B's are the ones we need for energy. Or even just a multi-vitamin specifically designed for women might help too.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Technically, you lose the blood that comes out during your period in the few weeks AFTER your period. That is when it is building up in your uterus. So, you are right in thinking about taking supplements all month long. And, water is a very good idea all month long, too. A multivitamin is your best bet unless your doctor recommended something else. To know if you need iron or B-vitamins, you need to have your doctor run some blood tests for anemia and then he can tell you if you need extra iron or B-vitamins.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #6

cowgirl03 HB User

I have the same problem with my periods even on birth control and its because Im anemic. You should go to the doctor and have him or her check to see if you are anemic. My doctor told me to take 3-4 Ibuprofen because for me anyway it pretty much stops the bleeding, but thats only on your really heavy days because to much ibuprofen is not good for you. I hope that helped!
Cowgirl03

Old 05-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Sounds like your anemic .. I would ask your doctor for a CBC(complete blood count). If so, you can start taking Feosol, an iron supplement to help. It may take months until the iron is restored, but it works.
Also, the pill your on may not the best one for you. I would ask about switching to a higher hormone level or a different ingredient. Alesse left me with the symptoms, but Yasmin did the trick & stopped my horribly heavy periods & cramps.

Closed Thread