It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 01:04 PM   #1

NathanCo HB User
Need help for my mother

Hello... I desperately need advice for my mother who thinks she's a medical mystery. From reading the messages on the symptoms of peri/menopause, I believe that this is the situation. Can anyone please help me???

A little background: A couple years ago my mother (now age 51) showed a few of the symptoms on the list... Massive hair loss, that skin sensation that "bugs" were crawling all over her, the surging of electricity through her body, short-term memory loss, etc.

Here's what's happening now: About 9 months ago, she started having trouble with her skin... dry, cracking hands, to the point the bleed. Also has small callous-like bumps on her palms. She says that her hands taste salty??? But the thing that is literally driving her crazy is a constant sensation of acid on her tongue. Not like acid-reflux, but like battery acid in her mouth. Her tongue is even cracked in numerous places. The only relief she finds is when she chews gum.

My mother has seen her doctor a few times, and he can not find anything wrong with her. She has had blood work done to see if there is a problem with her thyroid, blood sugar, etc. No problems. The dermotologist says she has exemma (please forgive my spelling).

Can anyone offer me suggestions for her?? I hate seeing her in such pain.

Thanks!

~Nate

Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #2

Carol45 HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

changes in the bodies chemestry can do really strange things. She needs to check out a doctor who knows more about menopause. Not all GP's or Gynocoligists are up on it. While she is waiting for an appointment, she might try a hypoallergenic vitamin. Can't hurt and may restore some of the nutritional balance menopause is unbalancing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Inactive

kerney HB User

I agree that gp's or gyno's really are not up on it. I found that when my mom went to a gereatric doctor that he was able to prescribe an over the counter, all natural remedy and has done wonders for her. He didn't believe in putting women on the estrogen that most of the doctors prescribed her in the past. She was very moody and could kill you with her looks with the hormone replacement. I will try to remember to find out what the name of it was but I know she got it at CVS.

I hope she finds what she is looking for to relieve any symptoms she may be having with this inbalance. Menopause really stinks and I guess we will all be going through it someday. (God, I hope not).

Old 06-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive

kerney HB User

Have you tried uceran. It is a cream for the skin and is prescribed for ecezma patients. I know I use it. You can purchase it at any drug store. It will help the dry skin that is cracking. It may be a solution for her to try. It is an over the counter and is a little pricey but It has worked for me.

What I have found out is that ecezma is caused by an allergic reaction. If you have a cut and household chemicals (cleaning supplies) got in there and caused a reaction you can develope ecezma.

I hope that she feels better I know what she is going through.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #5

NathanCo HB User

Thank you for your replies. Can I ask if these syptoms sound like peri/menopause to you??

Thanks again!

~Nate

Old 06-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #6

lannie2006 HB User

Do a search on this board under peri-menopause or menopause and you should get alot of info. If she is 51 I would think it is menopause not peri. I do know hair loss is a sign, but I'm not certain about those other symptoms you mentioned.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #7

ILikeRats HB User

I think she should be tested for food allergies, because some of those symptoms sound like allergic reactions. She should ask to be referred to an allergist.

Closed Thread