It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: California
Posts: 11
NathanCo HB User
Need help for my mother

Hello... I desperately need advice for my mother who thinks she's a medical mystery. From reading the messages on the symptoms of peri/menopause, I believe that this is the situation. Can anyone please help me???

A little background: A couple years ago my mother (now age 51) showed a few of the symptoms on the list... Massive hair loss, that skin sensation that "bugs" were crawling all over her, the surging of electricity through her body, short-term memory loss, etc.

Here's what's happening now: About 9 months ago, she started having trouble with her skin... dry, cracking hands, to the point the bleed. Also has small callous-like bumps on her palms. She says that her hands taste salty??? But the thing that is literally driving her crazy is a constant sensation of acid on her tongue. Not like acid-reflux, but like battery acid in her mouth. Her tongue is even cracked in numerous places. The only relief she finds is when she chews gum.

My mother has seen her doctor a few times, and he can not find anything wrong with her. She has had blood work done to see if there is a problem with her thyroid, blood sugar, etc. No problems. The dermotologist says she has exemma (please forgive my spelling).

Can anyone offer me suggestions for her?? I hate seeing her in such pain.



Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 9
Carol45 HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

changes in the bodies chemestry can do really strange things. She needs to check out a doctor who knows more about menopause. Not all GP's or Gynocoligists are up on it. While she is waiting for an appointment, she might try a hypoallergenic vitamin. Can't hurt and may restore some of the nutritional balance menopause is unbalancing.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 06-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 5
kerney HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

I agree that gp's or gyno's really are not up on it. I found that when my mom went to a gereatric doctor that he was able to prescribe an over the counter, all natural remedy and has done wonders for her. He didn't believe in putting women on the estrogen that most of the doctors prescribed her in the past. She was very moody and could kill you with her looks with the hormone replacement. I will try to remember to find out what the name of it was but I know she got it at CVS.

I hope she finds what she is looking for to relieve any symptoms she may be having with this inbalance. Menopause really stinks and I guess we will all be going through it someday. (God, I hope not).

Old 06-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 5
kerney HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

Have you tried uceran. It is a cream for the skin and is prescribed for ecezma patients. I know I use it. You can purchase it at any drug store. It will help the dry skin that is cracking. It may be a solution for her to try. It is an over the counter and is a little pricey but It has worked for me.

What I have found out is that ecezma is caused by an allergic reaction. If you have a cut and household chemicals (cleaning supplies) got in there and caused a reaction you can develope ecezma.

I hope that she feels better I know what she is going through.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: California
Posts: 11
NathanCo HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

Thank you for your replies. Can I ask if these syptoms sound like peri/menopause to you??

Thanks again!


Old 06-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 251
lannie2006 HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

Do a search on this board under peri-menopause or menopause and you should get alot of info. If she is 51 I would think it is menopause not peri. I do know hair loss is a sign, but I'm not certain about those other symptoms you mentioned.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 256
ILikeRats HB User
Re: Need help for my mother

I think she should be tested for food allergies, because some of those symptoms sound like allergic reactions. She should ask to be referred to an allergist.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I need some advice, please gorgee Relationship Health 10 06-28-2008 07:43 PM
Mother Daughter Full Tilt need support 27 year old woman and 57 year old woman artsygirl79 Relationship Health 10 03-16-2007 03:46 PM
New: Need some input - warning: LONG! Laura_45 Depression 2 01-15-2007 10:26 PM
problem with my mother- seriously need some advice lady346 Relationship Health 6 12-03-2006 09:13 PM
epidural? or no epidural? need answers soon! me_n_bubby Pregnancy 28 11-17-2006 02:31 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.


There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added

Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to for complete list)
Vicodin Yasmin


STLouisgal (54), Kszan (41), Titchou (39), twohands (23), Seraph (19), solofelix (16), janewhite1 (14), sjb (12), ladybud (12), Vanilla Kiss (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!