It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

~Tyger~ HB User
The 'low down' on Diflucan - what is most effective for yeast infection?

What is your opinion on yeast infection treatments, and which is most effective? Creams, Diflucan?

My doctor took a swab and diagnosed me with a YI last week, I think I had it for a while, just didnt realise because my only symptom was pain during sex. I've been using the Canestan 6-day internal cream, but at day 5 now, I still have pain during sex.
Went back to the doctor today and she prescribed me this DAMN expensive pill, Diflucan. I've just taken it. How well does it work and how soon should I feel relief? Is it possible that I'll have discomfort during sex for a while after, even if the infection is cleared, cos its been irritated?

You're opinions would be appreciated! Thankyou!

Old 06-07-2004, 06:11 AM   #2

lannie2006 HB User
Re: The 'low down' on Diflucan - what is most effective for yeast infection?

The Diflucan pill is wonderful. It is probably the best treatment out there to cure a yeast infection. And with no messy creams! I wish they sold it over the counter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~Tyger~ HB User

Here in Australia, they DO sell it over the counter...its SO expensive though, and being a student, thats not a good thing
I take it you've used Diflucan before, how long till the symptoms eased up and the infection was gone?

Old 06-07-2004, 06:38 AM   #4

lannie2006 HB User

I noticed a difference within 24 hours after taking the pill. It definitely beats using a cream for 7 nights. Also, with the creams, mine always seems to eventually come back. With Diflucan it seems to get rid of it pretty good.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #5

scottskitty HB User

diflucan is a good pill. it took a couple days for me to notice relief,but it was worth it.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #6

verylongday HB User

At the very first signs of a YI I call my gyn and get a prescription for Diflucan. If I take it right away the infection never gets "bad". Usually all right again in less than a day! IF its already full blown I still notice considerable relief with in 24 hours!

Old 06-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

VolRN HB User

Diflucan is good but usually takes 24 hrs. to work. I like the Monistat "the egg"......insert before u go to bed and wake up and the yeast infection is gone......

Old 06-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

I am a student in Australia as well, so I know just how expensive the diflucan is.
I was unlucky and after taking the Diflucan I still had an infection within a few days afterwards.
I'm not sure whether it didn't work, or it could have been another infection. I don't know... but it wasn't worth it for me.
The only thing that worked for me was the 6-day pessaries. They are the same as the creams to insert, but I think they are a little less messy the day after.
I also took something called 'Forbiotics' while treating the infection with the pessaries.

I think I saw that 'egg' thing on a tv commercial. It looks interesting. I might try it next time.

Closed Thread