It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #1

heather18 HB User
Can you miss a period and not be pregnant?

I was just wondering because a friend of mine had sex and has missed her period. She says that she has been cramping like she is about to start but hasn't. Can something be causing her not to have a period? Like some kind of infection or something? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Re: Can you miss a period and not be pregnant?

All kinds of other things can cause a period to be late. Even the stress over having sex and worrying about it starting can mess with the date a little. If she doesn't start, she can always get a home pregnancy test. After that, she really should check with her doc. She could have an infection or it could be totally unrelated to sex, but treatable.

If you two are close, you should have a conversation about safe sex. If she isn't ready to have a baby, though, no sex is safe enough and she just shouldn't be doing it. There are a lot of tips about safe sex and about pregnancy on the teen health section of healthboards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #3

scottskitty HB User

i once went 4 months without a period, and i wasn't pregnant.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Are her periods regular? My periods weren't regualar ( I am 11 weeks pg now) and I usually skipped one period per year. I also never knew when it was coming. My cycle could be anywhere from 28-36 days. If she is regular and not pregnant, she may want to talk to her gyno about it.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #5

heather18 HB User

I talked to her and she said she has always gotten her periods regularly. She said that she has had a couple of UTI's and has been really stressed thinking she is pregnant. Could those two factors be a reason as to why she hasn't started her period?

Old 06-15-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

When I was only a few days late I experienced the same cramping and feelings as if I would get my period. I was pregnant with my first. Have your friend take a pergnancy test...these days they can be done even when you're only one day late. That way she'll know one way or another....Good Luck

Old 06-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather18
I talked to her and she said she has always gotten her periods regularly. She said that she has had a couple of UTI's and has been really stressed thinking she is pregnant. Could those two factors be a reason as to why she hasn't started her period?
Your friend may have a delay in her period due to the amount of stress that comes with thinking shes pregnant. Or there always is the possiblity that she could be pregnant. Have her take a hpt.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

You didn't say whether your friend has taken a pregnancy test? If she hasn't than she needs to take one asap. This is the first and easiest thing to do to figure out why she's not having her period, especially if she's usualy not late or irregular. Some reasons for not having one are losing a lot of weight suddenly, stress is the major one and i think a common one for a lot of women who periodicly miss a period, there could be other hormonal changes going on in her body that could be causing it. Either way, she needs to take a pregnancy test. If the test in negative than she needs to make a doctors appointment and maybe get some further testing to determine if it is stress related.
Just a note...the first time i had sex i got pregnant....i was in denial about it (i was only 15) but at the same time starting taking care of myself as if i were pregnant, i started eating better and started eating breakfast and lunch every day, not just occasionaly when i had money for lunch or got up early enough for breakfast. Because i was in denial about it i was about 5 months when i finialy went to see the doctor (i went to planned parenthood when i was about 3 months for a test, which was positive, but was still in denial so i didn't go to the doctors right away). Thankfully my son was healthy, but many things could have gone wrong, he could have had birth defects that had gone on undetected, i could have had health problems that had gone undected (high blood pressure etc), since i had unprotected sex i could have had an std, i was about 6 months when i had my first pap and check for std's, so if i had an std it could have caused alot of damage to my son. Like i said thankfully there was nothing wrong and he was born healthy and i was healthy. Denial and wishful thinking don't get you too far when it comes to being pregnant. She needs to get tested and go from there if the test turns up negative.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Inactive

Asleep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather18
She said that she has had a couple of UTI's and has been really stressed thinking she is pregnant. Could those two factors be a reason as to why she hasn't started her period?
Stress thinking you are pregnant will not cause you to miss a period - but actually being pregnant will!

Yes, there are many things that can cause you to skip your period. Stress and UTIs are not usually causes.

Believe it of not, we cannot diagnose whether your friend is pregnant over the internet - only a pregnancy test can.

Why doesn't she scrap together the $10 it cost to get a pregnancy test and find out for sure?

Old 07-31-2004, 09:27 PM   #10

babygirl03157 HB User

well i am 9 days late on my period and before ne one can say its stress realted i just wanna say its not cause i have been stress out really bad my periods have been regular. i have taken hpt and they have come back neg. my last period was on june 26th and it only last 3 days and was really really light compared to what they useally are. so i guess im asking what do i do now...i have asked my friends that r pregnant what they think and they tell me to give it another week so i do but yet still no period and test show not preg. i have not been to the doctors yet to see why i have not gotten my period. i have signs of pregnancy..i.e. tired alot, eating more then normal,weight gain, headachs, breast soreness but i just dont understand why they show negative...i had read that it is rare for a female to not produce enough hcg...well what r the chances of that happing in a 16 year old girl??? i am gunna go to the doctors this coming week to find out..another thing i should add is the fact that i was on the pill and i had stoped taking that..would that have ne thing to do with why i am feeling like this??

Old 08-01-2004, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

Hi, a freind of mine missed a few periods, felt crampy and stuff, took a hpt and it was neg. she went to the doc because she was scared and had good reason to be she had a tubal pregnacy. Not to scare you, but you should get to a doctor as soon as possable to rule that out.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:28 AM   #12
(female)

SweetPuff HB User

If you just stopped taking the pill that could probably throw off your body temporarily b/c your hormones may need a little time to adjust.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:45 PM   #13

mystikal HB User

Like you i had a late period and i was so worried about it, it didnt come for 3 months! i usually have irregualr periods, but not for that long and because i was so stressed about it (when i worry, i worry severly ...) and so it came late, then i took a test and all my worries went away and it came a week or so after that.

also in more recent times, again i didnt get my period for 3 months, i knew i couldnt be pregnant so i wasnt worried but after 3 months it was annoying me as i was still getting mood swings but no period, so i went to the doctor and they told me to cut down my excerising (as i was exerising upto18-20 hours each week) which she said was too much and to start eating right (i wasnt hardly eating at the time ... but thats another issue ...).

Closed Thread