It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #1

chrissy81 HB User
can you pee with a tampon in??

this may be a stupid question, i dont use tampons much, but are you able to keep the tampon in and still pee?? cuz it didnt work for me......??

Old 06-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: can you pee with a tampon in??

You can, but the string gets all wet. Sometimes it will slip out. I never do, I always take it out when I have to pee, it is a pain in the butt, but I don't like the feeling of the wet string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy81
this may be a stupid question, i dont use tampons much, but are you able to keep the tampon in and still pee?? cuz it didnt work for me......??

Last edited by KimRick; 06-22-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

That's kind of the "did I do it right" test. You can definitely keep a tampon in while you pee. You can keep it in while you swim, shower, or just about anything else. Of course the string is going to get wet when you pee, unless you do like I do and move it out of the way. It shouldn't slip out or hinder you from handling your business. If it slips out, it may be saturated, or it may not have been in all of the way. If it hinders you from peeing, you should check with your gyno because that's shouldn't happen.
Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Old 06-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User

Yeah, you can pee with it in, but I find it very difficult. Well, not really difficult, it just takes me for forever and a day to pee with a tampon in. There's actually kind of a funny story.

My friend and I were going to the movies and I had to pee first. We were already kind of late. I knew how long it takes to pee w/ a tampon in, but I forgot to bring another one. So I just kept it in and peed, and kept peeing, and my friend was wondering what was wrong. I explained to her the problem, and so she just went ahead in the movie anyway. Well I was still peeing, and finally I was so tired of peeing that I stopped and went ahead into the movies. I sat down by my friend and the credits were over and I had missed about 10 minutes of the movie. It wasn't really funny, but now I learn to bring a tampon with me.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #5

chrissy81 HB User

i think i'm one of those people who cant wear tampons....i just tried putting one in, i even got the really slender ones because i found the wide ones are just too big. anyway after i put it in , it started to feel like burning, then when i went to take it out a few minutes later it hurt like alot and burned some more...is that normal?? it frustrates me because i do get sick of using pads all the time....and people are always saying how easier tampons are....well there not for me!!

Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 AM   #6
(female)

crowgirl HB User

Were you on your period when you tried to put it in? If not, then I guess the burning and the pain were pretty normal, because your vagina got too dry. Tampons are meant to be worn only when you're on your period, and even then it can hurt if you take them out again after only a few minutes. I'd recommend trying again on the heaviest day of your flow.

HTH!

Old 06-23-2004, 07:37 AM   #7

jazzz29 HB User

I had the same problem and was scared thinking there was something wrong with me because I couldn't even get a slender tampon in on a heavy day. The problem was not the tampon, it was the angle that I was trying to push it in at. I kept trying to push straight back and actually it is more up! Wet the tip of the smallest tampon you can find and make sure you have some time with privacy to try different angles.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #8

Portia26 HB User

This is probably REALLY obvious to all of you, but back when I first started using tampons, I thought I was incapable of using them... and then I worried that I would never be able to have sex because I was convinced nothing was going up there...LOL!... but!... I was doing it *blush* totally wrong. I was actually trying shove the tampon in, applicator and all! I didn't realize you had to hold to tip to your entrance, then push the applicator... LOL! Also, it's all about the angle. Aim it towards your back and up at a little bit of angle... I still don't like using them because I find them quite messy to insert and remove but I can use them just fine. And I notice a slight difficulty in urinating when I use them. Just takes a bit longer.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Wow, I never realized that women had problems with tampons other than them not being enough coverage. I hope none of you mind me asking...what makes it so hard to pee with a tampon in? It's in a completely different setting, and it should be in far enough for you not to feel it in any way.

Chrissy, (and others new to tampons), I know it's kind of boring, lol, but have you ever tried reading the directions that come with tampons? I read them, and they helped me to first put in a tampon, and I've been in Aunt Flo heaven ever since! LOL Like one of the other posters said, you have to aim the tampon up, but tilt it back towards your butt a little. I think that if you just tilt it upwards, and don't try to ram it inside of you, you'll find that it slides into place on it's own, but maybe not for everyone? I also find that it's easier to do without an applicator. I like the OB tampons that expand to fit you. To me they provide better protection, but I guess protection isn't the concern here yet.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #10

chrissy81 HB User

yes i can get a tampon and i know how to put it in, its just once its in there it starts to burn, and it bothers me .....when i get it in for me it feels like i can bend over...it feels weird...so i take it out and it burns just as much!! i dont get it , could it be from the rayon thats on the tampon??

Old 06-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

It shouldnt burn when you use a tampon. I suggest you talk to your doctor about that since it isnt normal.

I have a tilted uterus and cervix so putting tampons in are a bit different. I can't point them up. If I try that it hurts and won't go in. I have to point it slightly downward and toward the back. So for some ladies if it doesnt seem to want to go in try to experiment a bit to see what works for you.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #12
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy81
yes i can get a tampon and i know how to put it in, its just once its in there it starts to burn, and it bothers me .....when i get it in for me it feels like i can bend over...it feels weird...so i take it out and it burns just as much!! i dont get it , could it be from the rayon thats on the tampon??
Tampons are generally a bad idea, besides the chemicals and rayon they cause irritation and stop the vagina from cleaning itself as it would normally.
The burning is more than likely cause from irritation, your putting in a dry wad of fabric into an area which is supposed to be moist, it's more than likely causing friction and so causing irritation and splitting.
Have you tried using a menstrual cup?

Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

I do agree that tampons put you at a greater risk of infections and all of that good stuff. It's up to you if you want to take that risk or not. I decided to take that risk because any type of pad irritates me (sorry if TMI, but my labia are a little on the larger side, so irritation is not hard to come by with pads). I started out with those super soakers, but I got tired of waddling around school, so I started buying my own rather than wearing the ones my mom bought. I've gone all the way down to the super super thin pads, and they still irritate me. And days after my period has gone for good, I'm still left waddling around from a sore private area. So taking the risk of tampons was nearly a no brain-er for me.

A question about the rayon...don't they still have cotton tampons on the market? I know that the cotton is of course bleached, but I was just wondering.

Chrissy, I think you should talk to your doctor about the burning thing when you're putting in, wearing, or taking out tampons. It seems wierd to me, I guess. Maybe some women are more sensitive there than others?

Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #14

sarah1000 HB User

There are natural tampons that are made with organic cotton (no rayon), and i don't think they are bleached. I haven't tried the cup yet, but i know it's better for my body and the environment, I've heard they leak at night though? Do you have the keeper or the Divacup?

Old 06-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran

Saka HB User

The only problems I've ever had with tampons was instering them when I first started to use them. And it can be a little painful at the end of my period when there is not much blood.

I'm not sure what is meant my having trouble when peeing. I have no worries about that at all. The string does get wet and can be slightly 'eww' afterwards but nothing to upset me or anything. There's no way I'm taking it out to pee. I'd spend my whole day in the toilet!

Last edited by Saka; 06-24-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Closed Thread